who are the "police-military" in solid black

Sep 19, 2005
went back to Santiago from Puerto plata and took route 25( the middle road from the north into santiago) it also may be called the luperon road, on sunday. We ran into a make shift road block that really had me worried.

There were about 5 or 6 guys, heavily armed in black uniforms( except one guy in street clothes and a bullet proof vest) with the letters G (something ) S...I cant remember the exact letters...I think there were only three letters. They were stopping cars looking for firearms supposedly..and actually asked me to pull over....I gave them a lot of english complaining, to try and prevent it......luckily my girlfriend has finally come around to helping me get out of situatuions, instead of just sit there and stay silent. I thought for sure it was a shakedown. They were with this one guy with a big brand new SUV from the time I first saw the block until well after I lost sight of them. He was dressed very good, some maybe they were shaking him down good.

they had FALs with taped double magazines!!! and three had their pistols in THEIR HANDS!! all were wearing bullet proof vests. and there were no "official" vehicles in sight.

I have seen plenty of different uniforms, but nothing like these guys.

does anyone know about who these guys are?

a guy on the plane thought they might have been some anti drug unit.

they looked very serious, take it from me..... they were ready to get into at a seconds notice..........

bob

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Drug Task Force I beleive..

All black uniforms with assualt rifles.

I've seen them raid houses in Los Mina and Villa Mella.

My novia says they are a task force set up to fight the drug traffic.

Sort of like the American ( ATF ).

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It sound like G2 to me. They are an elite military unit (frankly I don't really know what their role is. They are supposed to be "Military Intelligence"). They are definitely a branch of the army. I have a friend who is G2.

The ones that I know wear black for sure are DCND (Drug enforcement), but their initials wouldn't be G something.

As to the weaponry...The military in The DR tends to exaggerate. They like to show off what little stuff they have, so you see them with bullet proof vests, large caliber weapons, etc even though it may not be needed. For instance when they set up road blocks in my hometown you'd think there's a war going on in the country. They come out all decked out and some of them even wear ski masks (how stupid is that).

I can see how this can unnerve someone from another country who's not used to the military creating road blocks or showing off their weapons. Dominicans normally take it in stride. My brother doesn't even stop for them. He just slows down and tells them "catch you on the way back..."

Sep 19, 2005
It probably was G2....I got the 2 mixed up with an "s".....

I tried to read the tag he had hanging from a chain on his neck that showed his ID, supposedly.

because i know if they are gonna do a fake military shakedown they have to have some good props.

it was a small road, with not much traffic......maybe one of the reasons they targeted it.

on another note , the truck traffic going to Puerto Plata on route 5 on saturday afternoon( before 2 pm) was VERY VERY BAD.....

I had to drive l;ike a complete maniac( which I am now experienced at) to make the trip from santiago to puerto pata in 2 hours!!!!

its rough passing 4 semis at once on the curves!!

bob

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
went back to Santiago from Puerto plata and took route 25( the middle road from the north into santiago) it also may be called the luperon road, on sunday. We ran into a make shift road block that really had me worried.

I think they were picking up strike organisers Sunday (ahead of the strike) so it could have been that. Plus they have been trying to get illegal firearms, tires etc off the streets just in case:
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Laura, it seems to be a regular occurrence in that area of the Cibao. Recently, both Mirador and and AZB has a similar experience.

J-2 is the intelligence arm of the Ejercito Nacional, the army branch of the Dominican Furezas Armadas, the military forces.

Mirador (6/27/07), ...

The checkpoints may be nationwide. Last Sunday I was stopped on the road between Vallejuelo and San Juan de la Maguana, at the regular military outpost in La Culata, except this time it was manned by a heavily armed outfit with J-2 written all over their fancy flak jackets and caps. They were very professional and serious, and frisked me and my two passengers. They didn't ask for papers, however they went through my SUV and belongings as with a fine-toothed comb. Further down the road, towards Azua, about 100 meters beyond the bridge crossing the Ocoa river, I was stopped by what looked like AMET, however, on closer inspection, it was a lone local traffic cop. I told him outright that I was flat broke, that I was returning from a visit to my relatives, who had cleaned me out of my last peso. However, I offered to exchange my hat for his cap. He laughed heartedly. I offered to make it up to him on my return trip, even asked him what he wanted. I don't remember the last time I was stopped by authority whatsoever. Maybe my luck is running out
. http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/64027-current-events-santiago.html#post533042

Sep 19, 2005
They stopped me this weekend. One motioned to me to pull over.

I rolled down the window, he stepped up to me and said "Militar?"

I gave him a stern "SI", and he motioned me to go ahead....

I love this country!!

just like all the wetbacks in america say "yes" to everything...."si" must work for us gringos in the DR the same way HUH?????

ha ha ha

bob

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
There are quite a few of them in Santiago Bob, I have been told by others here that they are similar to a S.W.A.T team here.

Seen them in action a couple times. Extremely impressive and Elite.

One day saw about 15 of them all together on their Black motorcycles and totally Black uniforms, head caps included, going down the street. Wish I had been faster thinking, would love to have gotten a picture. Kinda scares you in a way

They have been around Santiago for many months now.

Sep 19, 2005
you know what they were mostly wearing didnt really seem like a uniform. More like dea agents wear stuff that identifies them, but in may different types of clothing, even like a t-shirt. But the one guy had a buttong down short sleeve shirt with slacks, under his bullet proof vest. That kinda had me thinking scam. then one of the guys with the FALs looked really young, like maybe 20 ish.

I wasnt scared for my life.....I dont think full road blocks with weapons out in the open will lead to life or death with a gringo....but it certainly had me thinking that I might lose all my cash!! ha ha ha

much much scarier was the full riot military police at every corner and telephone pole at a street corner in Licey all aiming their weapons up at a second floor on a building nearby, with their full face shields and flack jackets and assault rifles!!! and I drove right through them.

I had driven around 5 blocks of heavy debris in the road from garbage cans to huge boulders, and burning tires. Even though it was desolate, it looked like all the trouble had gone, because no one was anywhere to be seen...until I rolled up to the light and saw all the military vehicles and soldiers......

oopps, hey just passing through guys.....I ran a red light.....I think they were worried about starting something with me!!!

bob

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Since were on the subject of law enforcement all geared up and in black. What is the purpose of those bad ass looking "Linces". These guys always look ready for action and spend all day driving around town.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Since were on the subject of law enforcement all geared up and in black. What is the purpose of those bad ass looking "Linces". These guys always look ready for action and spend all day driving around town.

I wondered that myself.

In terms of scary and bad asses the ones you don't ever want to see out on the streets are the Cazadores de Constanza. Seen them out only once in my life. It was during the riots of 1984 and a truck full of them were rolling through my hometown. Apparently somebody threw a rock at them (at least that's what we heard later) and that's when all hell broke loose. They all jumped out of the truck and started shooting their automatic weapons it seemed like in all directions. End result were three dead and a couple of more wounded.

The sad thing is that all the dead were people who were not involved with the strike at all. An image that I will always remember is this poor guy got his head completely blown out...I mean there was nothing left from his head. He was walking to work in a farm when this happened.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
There are quite a few of them in Santiago Bob, I have been told by others here that they are similar to a S.W.A.T team here.

Seen them in action a couple times. Extremely impressive and Elite.

One day saw about 15 of them all together on their Black motorcycles and totally Black uniforms, head caps included, going down the street. Wish I had been faster thinking, would love to have gotten a picture. Kinda scares you in a way

They have been around Santiago for many months now.

Those are the Linces, and they are actually members of the Policia Nacional.

per dr1, ..

The .. Lynx, a special Police squad designed to fight crime in the barrios of Santo Domingo and other major cities, .. are commanded by captain Ulises Salamanca, ..their mission is to "combat gangs in urban areas and provide security for VIPs," according to El Caribe. The new experts in motorized patrols will become part of the police force's "Barrio Seguro" (Safe Barrio) program that was launched in ten Santo Domingo neighborhoods.

Police patrolling near universities
The police have started what they call the "university corridor", a patrolling and crime prevention system aimed at benefiting some 350,000 college students near 16 higher education centers in Santo Domingo. Listin Diario reports that the system is composed of 10 patrol units with communication radios and cell phones plus 20 "Lynx" motorized units, and includes specialized personnel for this sort of operation.

renderimagezo6.jpg

renderimageyh6.jpg

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
These guys are suppose to bring law and order, but personally I think its a way of controlling dissent. Its no coincidence that they were out and about a few days before the strike. Read some leaders of the Alternative Social Forum were arrested. This all smells of being very undemocratic and heavy handed, but some will say this are the growing pains of getting there.:disappoin

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
I wondered that myself.

In terms of scary and bad asses the ones you don't ever want to see out on the streets are the Cazadores de Constanza...

Those are the elite enfantry, anti-insurgency (i.e. anti Guerrilla and other type of unconventional warfare type stuff) group of the Dominican military. The are somewhat modeled after the U.S Green Berets (Boinas Verde). Many of them actually train and do part of their studies in multiple military schools (e.g. U.S. Army Ranger School) of the U.S Army, in the United States.

guardia.bmp

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For some reason every time I pass the French bakery on Sarasota there is a little group sitting outside. Maybe they're bodyguards for some VIP croissant lover?

fender

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 9, 2006
classic

touch a sore spot bumper boy???...your a wetback yourself as well as being a lonely computer retard!!! no suprise there.

bob

gee, sounds like a typical neo-con comment.
ps it's "you're"... short for "you are" (your = posession)
educated much back there in hicksville?