Work Visa

AmyH

Dec 5, 2006
I was just wondering how hard it is for Dominican to get a work visa? Anybody with stories would help. I am also wondering if anyone know if it is hard for the HRSDC to approve a job? It would just be for a general labour nothing fancy. Any answer for this would help out a lot thanks.

Sep 19, 2005
my GF is about to go for her consulate interview. It has been a long process, mainly I think because the company we hired has two left feet!!!

they are like the keystone cops. they keep making mistakes and not planning well. And a process that started last january to go on a work visa last april is still IN PROCESS. They got about 100 people into the program before they ran out of jobs in america, and had to tell everyone to wait, then they found some work but it was only about 4 months worth of work and the first 7 people who went to the consulate interview got denied, because the americans are not as dumb as people think. they know it cost about $2,300 US to get into this program and you can recoup that money and some more if you work 9 months, but you will lose money if you only get a 4 month work opportunity and the consulate figured...hey WHY would they come to american to LOSE money?...maybe because they dont have a plan to go back!!

so the company told everyone that paid to wait till the fall when they offered another 9 month program. well they were supposed to LEAVE oct 1st, but most have not even been to their interview yet!!!!

I think we just got a rinky dink company...
I called a very large work visa company in washington and they said there are about 67,000 visas granted each year, but very few are dominican maybe less than 1000 per year.

the company offers only h2b visas...which says you CAN ONLY work for the company you sign an agreement with.

the company found a company in america that does temp hiring for most of the mcdonalds chains in northern fla and southern alabama, and parts of georgia. They are paying $8 per hour!! which is very good for a dominican with few work skills. the rent is dorn style shared by 4 people and costs about $250 each per month. There is a rental deposit required when you arrive. they make all the arraingments to get you to work and back( probably a bus route).
the first few days is orientation and a meeting to get your temp ss number.

therer are a lot of papers to sign and fill out, but the company guides you through all that. they have meting every so often to school you on how to answers question at the interview. They have had interviews with the company in america that is doing the hiring, who want to make sure you speak good enough english. they have drug screening as well.

wish i knew more

good luck

bob

Feb 7, 2007
Be careful with this "outsorced hiring" - e.g. being hired by a hiring company to work in a 3rd company - USCIS no longer accepts that and you can run a risk of your visa and work permit being invalidated.

Consult a professional immigration attorney.

One more thing, there's nothing like a temporary SSN.

AmyH

Dec 5, 2006
The thing is my sister owns a trucking company and I am wondering what my chances are with getting a job approved for him it would only be a general labour job. We tired for a vistors visa and he was declined due to the said he would not return and for money reason. If I can get the job approved for us hiring him what are his chances for getting the work visa.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What city is your sister's business in? She has to show that a job vacancy can not be filled in her area before hiring outside the country.

More info below;

Foreign labor certification programs permit U.S. employers to hire foreign workers on a temporary or permanent basis to fill jobs essential to the U.S. economy. Certification may be obtained in cases where it can be demonstrated that there are insufficient qualified U.S. workers available and willing to perform the work at wages that meet or exceed the prevailing wage paid for that occupation in the area of intended employment.

Taken from Guestworker Programs, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

Sep 19, 2005
if you are looking to get him a job where they only need one person, it is seriously unlikely they will get granted a permit to hire a seasonal worker.

because it would be very difficult to show that the company could not find ONE qualified worker to fill that spot.

I talked to a big work visa company about the same thing with my company, who actually hires temp workers on a regular basis. But my company would have to show that it has been a repeatable scenario where it can be documented that this surge in work happens on a regular basis at the same time. AND that no workers could be found locally to fill those jobs.

as for the temporary SSN.... I only said that because all the worker go back to their country...and what good is the SSN for them, if they never return permanently???

it actually helps us old people, because it puts more money into the pot to make sure there is something for us when we try to collect!!

bob

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
What city is your sister's business in? She has to show that a job vacancy can not be filled in her area before hiring outside the country.

More info below;

Foreign labor certification programs permit U.S. employers to hire foreign workers on a temporary or permanent basis to fill jobs essential to the U.S. economy. Certification may be obtained in cases where it can be demonstrated that there are insufficient qualified U.S. workers available and willing to perform the work at wages that meet or exceed the prevailing wage paid for that occupation in the area of intended employment.

Taken from Guestworker Programs, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor
Anna is right on the money here. All these "schemes" have been tried before. You have to prove that the Dominican is the only one qualified for the job, and that isn't going to happen in a non-skilled labor position. Anyone who tells you that is trying to take your money.

-Tim