Strike information for Santiago

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It appears that the strike will fail in Santiago.
The "publicos" the little cars that serve most people going from one place to another are working. OMSA, the government bus service is working. Business is open.

It remains to be seen whether people will flock to work, school, etc. But first reports from around town seem to indicate that it is not working.

So, for travelers, it seems to be okay to go out to Las Terrenas.

I will supply more information a bit later on.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No golfing, sorry. Classes in the morning and afternoon.

Latest reports show students showing up for classes at the PUCMM. I also learned that Navarrete and Licey are calm. Not too much enthusiasm for this one.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just go back from a look around. Seems reports coming in from Navarrete are spotty. Some say ney and some say things are okay.
Tamboril is calm and p?blicos are running back and forth. Guaguitas too.

Tried calling a couple of businesses in Navarrete, no answer..

Parts of Santiago that I just traveled through are sort of half and half. Not much traffic, but methinks it will get heavier as time goes on.

HB

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Zona Norte

Cabarete to Puerto Plata is quiet with soldiers at bridges and entrance to most major neighborhoods, but taxis (most of them) are not running and few publicos; at least not from 0700-0900 this morning.
Streets are much less busy. I hear negotiations continue in SDQ and no word expected until at least noon.......1.5 more hours. Tourist areas are quiet as far as I've heard/seen, including Nagua/Sanchez. Maybe one of the Samana folks can comment on L.Terrenas/L.Galeras.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Maybe one of the Samana folks can comment on L.Terrenas/L.Galeras.
Well, that's an easy one for Las Terrenas. This morning, downtown is exactly the same as everyday... Business as usual... I wouldn't have noticed there was a strike if I wasn't reading the news...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here in Gurabo everything is good, except for a pleito amoung my Haitian neighbors, which I resloved quickly with a few words, refrescos, rum and biscocho, haha.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
well, to be on the positive side, I am on strike today. No work and no outdoor activities. Hey, can't waste a good strike day like this, especially on a tuesday.
AZB

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
All but 3 of my employees showed up for work today, the others called in with bulcrap stories about no transportation and I told them I bet it was easier to find a ride than to find a job.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Here in Gurabo everything is good, except for a pleito amoung my Haitian neighbors, which I resloved quickly with a few words, refrescos, rum and biscocho, haha.

Chip the peacemaker.....I like that.:cheeky:

Sep 19, 2005
well, to be on the positive side, I am on strike today. No work and no outdoor activities. Hey, can't waste a good strike day like this, especially on a tuesday.
AZB

hey aftab...you apparently were on strike on friday as well......we stopped by to see you and you had a note on the door saying you were way to wealthy to ruin a potential three day weekend...

at least it kept your hands off my girl!

next time i guess buddy

bob

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Chip the peacemaker.....I like that.:cheeky:

He?s just a Chip off the old block ! lol

Santiago was great, I was in many parts of the city, including CienFuego, Monte Rico, etc, very quiet and calm, traffic was great. Did not see even a single tire burning in the streets. Too bad it can?t be like that everyday.

Cops, Amet and military were present, but not in extreme.

Many places closed, but Pola / La Sirena open as ALWAYS.

I did have two cops walk up to me and ask if I was carrying.

Great day in Santiago.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
hey aftab...you apparently were on strike on friday as well......we stopped by to see you and you had a note on the door saying you were way to wealthy to ruin a potential three day weekend...

at least it kept your hands off my girl!

next time i guess buddy

bob

I was out of the country.
AZB