Codetel DSL problems

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
As referenced in other threads, Codetel Flash (DSL) from Santiago has been unreliable lately. I find many websites slow at times, including Youtube and DR1.

I have tested this with my private proxy server. Anytime a website is running slowly if I access the website via my proxy server it works. This happens because my proxy server is on one of codetel's fast routes to the USA. Therefore my proxy server can route the connection for me instead of using Codetel's routes which are temporarily unreliable.

This problem has been for some time now and its affecting access to lots of major websites as well as VOIP.

Has anyone tested Tricom's DSL internet? Are there other DSL options out there? Or some other workaround? Since Codetel has been sold are things going to get worse?

Adrian

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As referenced in other threads, Codetel Flash (DSL) from Santiago has been unreliable lately. I find many websites slow at times, including Youtube and DR1.

I have tested this with my private proxy server. Anytime a website is running slowly if I access the website via my proxy server it works. This happens because my proxy server is on one of codetel's fast routes to the USA. Therefore my proxy server can route the connection for me instead of using Codetel's routes which are temporarily unreliable.

This problem has been for some time now and its affecting access to lots of major websites as well as VOIP.

Has anyone tested Tricom's DSL internet? Are there other DSL options out there? Or some other workaround? Since Codetel has been sold are things going to get worse?

Adrian
I don't know if Tricom could be better, but I agree that Codetel has been awful for the last month or two, and yes, I expect it to get worse.
Everyone said that the new owners would just run it into the ground while milking it for all they could, and it appears to be true.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
POP: Well awful, not really. Sometimes it times out requests and so forth... One morning it was really bad. But overall, I am quite content.
Interestingly, skype seems to work well, even when web page requests fail.
But yes, the problems have been on and off for about the last 2 months.
Speed, when it works fluently, is somewhat higher than it used to be. I can now talk on skype, browse and have a file on skype's internal exchange on up or download without loosing the conversation (sound) quality.
So, it not as good as it used to be... but sometimes better... es la isla de las maravillas, ya tu sabe! :D

... J-D.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Codetel has several main links to the island. If one or two of them are down, then the others have to carry the load. For some services, such as skype this may not present as much of a problem because its a distributed service. But for others like DR1, it will mean we get very slow access at times.

If anyone has tested a non-codetel DSL provider, please tell us about your experience.

Adrian

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Codetel has several main links to the island. If one or two of them are down, then the others have to carry the load. For some services, such as skype this may not present as much of a problem because its a distributed service. But for others like DR1, it will mean we get very slow access at times.

If anyone has tested a non-codetel DSL provider, please tell us about your experience.

Adrian
Haven't performed any special tests, but I can tell you that I have the same problem as you and I interpret it the same as you.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm going to get someone to start poking around at Codetel today. Let's see if we can produce a news story based on our readers posts and feedback from Codetel.

I know the director of customer services, I'll see if I can get some input from her.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm going to get someone to start poking around at Codetel today. Let's see if we can produce a news story based on our readers posts and feedback from Codetel.

I know the director of customer services, I'll see if I can get some input from her.
Go get'em, Robert.
We would be eternally grateful.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Robert, getting a story out there on this would be most excellent. If you need a comment for the story, I'd be happy to provide one.

Have you seen these issues in Santo Domingo?

Adrian

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Let's see if we can produce a news story based on our readers posts and feedback from Codetel.
As much as I enjoy beetching about Codetel in general, the "internet flash" service they provide in Las Terrenas is just like any other day... I haven't experiment any lower speeds... I participated in the other thread too, for more info...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As much as I enjoy beetching about Codetel in general, the "internet flash" service they provide in Las Terrenas is just like any other day... I haven't experiment any lower speeds... I participated in the other thread too, for more info...
You never have problems with DR1 pages loading up slowly?
If not, maybe you could tell us what your network settings are, just in case yours are different than ours.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Robert, getting a story out there on this would be most excellent. If you need a comment for the story, I'd be happy to provide one.

Adrian

Hook me up for that in more technical matters, i have some proof to show if you need that, i can do that even online -live-
(no, not msn yahoo etc)

Arjan (whats up with those Axxx names?)

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Internet access in Cabarete, although usually good, has been inconsistent for the last couple of weeks.

Yesterday was a bad day, today's looking just as bad at the moment - webpages timing out & slow connection speeds.

Doesn't seem to matter the time of day. 9 a.m. can be working well, 2 a.m. may be impossible to get a connection. Or, vice-versa.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
When we were having the HEAVY rain.......

........my connection was running excellent.......

now that it's drying, it's beginning to slow down.

We have a pit outside the house in the street that has all the connections and I'm thinking about running my hose to it and keeping it filled with water!!!:laugh::laugh:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
You never have problems with DR1 pages loading up slowly?
No...
If not, maybe you could tell us what your network settings are, just in case yours are different than ours.
Codetel Plan Basico 2. The Speedtouch modem goes into a Linksys WRT54G router. This router is set up with a static IP 10.0.0.7, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, and gateway 10.0.0.1 I am using the OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 directly on the router. This router serves as a DHCP server as well, but all my PC's have a static address.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
No...

Codetel Plan Basico 2. The Speedtouch modem goes into a Linksys WRT54G router. This router is set up with a static IP 10.0.0.7, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, and gateway 10.0.0.1 I am using the OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 directly on the router. This router serves as a DHCP server as well, but all my PC's have a static address.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm............
I wonder why you're unaffected.
Just about everybody I talk to around here, has the same problem.
And I tried those DNS numbers to no avail.
Hopefully, Robert will find something out, maybe even get it fixed.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I use similar settings to Squat, yet I see this problem. If Squat's usage is less frequent, he will notice the issue less.

MrMike (also in Santiago) has been seeing the same problems that I have.

Adrian

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It functioned perfect for me here in Sosua until I read about the problems today, and then the problems started....
Dr1 is okay, but can't access Hotmail and a lot of other sites for the moment.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Can't access many web pages.

I cancelled an account with them in November and they hired a lawyer to extort $500 U.S. from me until i sent them a letter that I cancelled.....thinking of switching to cable from charamicos

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
This realy sucks. Hope it's temporarely, and that they are working with the problem. DR1 is almost the only site I can acces for the moment.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
We have been having major headaches with them since early September, it appears the DNS service is weak and the entire connection "breaks" and is restored every little while, at least once every two hours and sometimes more.

We called them a few weeks ago and they said they had a major piece of equipment on the fritz and no ETA on a fix.

It took us awhile to do much because we were sure it was our VOIP provider causing the problem, since they did a major upgrade around the same time.

We are now pretty sure the issue is with Codetel and so we ordered a Tricom line which we are waiting to have installed. (They said today or tomorrow) I will let you all know how it works once it is ready.