Jet Blue to serve Puerto Plata

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
"JetBlue filed at the Transportation Department to begin flying to Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, saying it was prepared to start service from Kennedy in January."

-Travelweekly.com

Last edited:

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
Hope they're serious!

I was puzzled when American Airlines discontinued non-stop service to POP a couple years ago- the plane always seemed full or nearly so. Competition on this route has been sorely needed and will hopefully save us all some cash in the long term.

I just hope their flight schedule is somewhat more friendly than it is to Santiago- not much to do when landing in the middle of the night!

Thanks for the heads up!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I just hope their flight schedule is somewhat more friendly than it is to Santiago- not much to do when landing in the middle of the night!

No more mid-nighters they have a departure at 8:00 am arriving at 11:00 am daily.:cheeky:

tommy3102

Sep 14, 2007
that will be great, not that i mind the idea of exiting customs at 5am for a "brief" ride to POP for my first introduction to the DR. Flying direct to the north coast will be nice in the future. TY Jetblue

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
90% of the pax. coming from JFK. are Dominicans and they live in Santiago, San Jose de las matas, San Francisco de Macoris La Vega & moca ( Cibao valley). I think Jet Blue will have not costumers to support this route.
JJ.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
90% of the pax. coming from JFK. are Dominicans and they live in Santiago, San Jose de las matas, San Francisco de Macoris La Vega & moca ( Cibao valley). I think Jet Blue will have not costumers to support this route.
JJ.
What about gringo tourists?
POP handles zillions of them.
Why wouldn't they want to use Jet Blue into POP?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
JJ.

As more Americans are discovering the DR, I hope that this new route catches on permanently.

Jun 5, 2004
In my opinion IF Jetblue plays its cards right it might be very successful in POP. It is true that most of the customers now have no need to travel through POP (like previous posters said most go to santiago, la vega etc etc) and STI is much more convinient. IF Jetblue offers decent fares, decent schedules and promotes the destination enough I think it should be fine. Many dominicans will travel to POP if it means a cheaper ticket. Then you have the Puerto Platenos (and vecinity) that would LOVE to travel through POP direct. Puerto Plata is a great vacation spot rather than catching a plane to Cancun or traveling two hours to get to Puerto Plata after a long trip through STI, tourists will have the opportunity to be close by where they are staying. Good Luck Jetblue and I hope you stay for a long time in POP.

Jun 5, 2004
I know that this is irrelevant to the Dominican Republic but it is relevant to B6. Their expansion into Terminal 5 will include flights to Canada (eliminating some flights to Buffalo, and other bordering cities) Costa Rica, and the Mid West of the US (Minneapolis among others).

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What about gringo tourists?
POP handles zillions of them.
Why wouldn't they want to use Jet Blue into POP?

There just aren't enough tourists in the Greater New York region to fill the planes going to POP. I fly out of EWR (Newark, NJ) and every flight I have been on 90% of the passengers were Dominicans visiting their families in the DR, usually going to STI or SDQ. EWR has limited service to POP.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There just aren't enough tourists in the Greater New York region to fill the planes going to POP. I fly out of EWR (Newark, NJ) and every flight I have been on 90% of the passengers were Dominicans visiting their families in the DR, usually going to STI or SDQ. EWR has limited service to POP.
Yet it seems that half the American tourists I meet, are from the NYC area.
They're getting here somehow, and if Jet Blue starts offering a direct reasonably priced flight to POP, I'm sure they'll be using that service.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Until recently, Delta was offering nonstop service from Atlanta to POP. Now, that service is only offered from Fri-Sun during the offseason, expanding to daily service at the end of November. Hopefully, more NA flights will result in more tourists checking out the North Coast (as opposed to the twice-daily flights to Punta Cana).

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yet it seems that half the American tourists I meet, are from the NYC area.
They're getting here somehow, and if Jet Blue starts offering a direct reasonably priced flight to POP, I'm sure they'll be using that service.

I think you are missing the point. There probably will not be enough passengers to fill the plane on a daily basis. Some of them may also be getting to Sosua via STI.