Help! Graduation gift suggestions

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The first of Mr C's nieces and nephews graduates from university today, and we would like to give her a nice present. I need some suggestions - would money be appropriate, or should it be something to do with her starting out life as a professional like a briefcase (can anyone think of something on those lines that is not so boring!?), or the usual kind of personal gift like jewellery, perfume or bag, or a special book???

I remember some relatives giving me money when I graduated, which was much appreciated and went straight into the travel-the-world-fund, and can't think of anything else I would have particularly wanted/needed at that stage.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
The first of Mr C's nieces and nephews graduates from university today, and we would like to give her a nice present. I need some suggestions - would money be appropriate, or should it be something to do with her starting out life as a professional like a briefcase (can anyone think of something on those lines that is not so boring!?), or the usual kind of personal gift like jewellery, perfume or bag, or a special book???

I remember some relatives giving me money when I graduated, which was much appreciated and went straight into the travel-the-world-fund, and can't think of anything else I would have particularly wanted/needed at that stage.

A nice dinner and an envelope with some cash will make a gradute very happy.

My nephew graduated this summer and this is what I gave him as a present. He loved it.;) I remember when I graduted from college I also received the same. I used the money for a summer trip to PR.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Set of books for her first postgrad. course..............? ;) Or alternatively something pertaining to her profession............ e.g. silks if a lawyer, theodolite if an engineer, whip and hammer if a teacher............ :)

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
New grads love the cash. But also think of what she will be doing, and if you can buy something that she will use in her profession, that is also very appropriate.

For high school grads I give a dictionary with a fifty tucked inside (close relatives only).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good, sounds like cash is universally welcomed. I think she studied English and Tourism Management so what would an appropriate gift be? A dictionary would have been good, but pre-uni.

Another suggestion I got was a photo-frame - and that is going to be perfect because Mr C is going to take some nice photos of her and we can get frames for her parents and both grandmothers as a bonus. I don't think the graduate herself will want a framed photo though - or would she?

So far we're going with $$$ for her and framed photos for parents and grannies.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Then there are also cool high tech phones that one can use as a camera, mp3 player, check email and storing files. A nice photo or video camera can make a great gift too ...

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
She's already got all of the above.

Wow, this is cool. It is hard to give to people who have all the stuff already. My parents did not give me anything, but I left my country to come to the US next morning after the day I graduated. So, there was no time to think about presents.

Maybe you and other relatives can give her some sort of vacation or a gift certificate to her favorite store so that she can pick what she wants.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Wow, this is cool. It is hard to give to people who have all the stuff already.
That essentially is the problem. She has most of the essentials, but we would like to give her something meaningful and symbolic.

My parents did not give me anything, but I left my country to come to the US next morning after the day I graduated. So, there was no time to think about presents.
I don't think my parents gave me anything in particular but aunts and uncles did send cash.

Maybe you and other relatives can give her some sort of vacation or a gift certificate to her favorite store so that she can pick what she wants.
That or cash along with something personal is what we're going for.

Thanks!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Just asked colleagues - they suggested jewelry or some sort of new stereo system or a new TV (HDTV or something of this kind). Yes, it is tough to give to someone who has everything ... Good luck!

Last edited:

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
memorable gift

I gave my son a gold necklace with a st. christopher medal on it, and the back of the medal engraved with " grad 2006". He loved it.