North Coast Vet's First Trip to La Romana

twohands

Oct 3, 2007
As a frequent yearly visitor to the north coast for the last 4 years, I've now decided to see more of the south and from what I'm reading LaRomana/Bayahibe seems like a place worth exploring.
So what are my options if I wanted to get a reasonably priced hotel (preferably with an ocean view) and if they are not guest friendly, what are my options for cabanas/hotels that are?
I have no intention whatsoever to remain behind the wall of an AI, and I assume there is a public beach where I can interact/mingle with the locals?
At this preliminary stage I'm looking at staying at either the Viva Wyndham Palace or the Viva Wyndham Beach - both AIs - for next July... Anyone have any experience with these places? Or alternatively, can you steer me to a place I haven't considered? Again guest options for a single guy being paramount...
I am a serious dancer as well - salsa, bachata, merengue, hip-hop -and I assume that there are clubs off the resorts' grounds where I can feed my need to move... Any names and/or personal experiences are welcome.

Thanks in advance...

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
How old a man are you, twohands? I was at the Viva Beach/Palace at the beginning of September and can tell you that there are a number of hot girls there looking for a dance partner. I'm not saying that they're single, but they were with other female friends and no men were present (except those clearly desiring to be in their presence). It's a very Italian set of hotels and many of the people were very stylish. I did notice a difference between the luxe factor at the Palace compared to the Beach.

The two hotels together total the same number of rooms as many other hotels, but individually they're small hotels. There are 3 pools and you'd find out quickly where the action is. There is a real disco with lights and large dance floor and high ceiling. Better than the other hotel discos I've seen, but I haven't seen many. You'd maybe want to make a point of hitting Big Sur in Bayahibe on Friday night. It was even profiled on "Wild On..."! There are about three on the main road of Dominicus and along the strip to Bayahibe too. Haven't been in and can't comment. Big Sur was fun though and I love that it's outside.

When I was there, the public beach between the Viva properties and the Iberostar had vendors huts but not an abundance of locals enjoying the beach. There is a public beach beside Casa del Mar that has locals using it every day, and busier on the weekend. The beach at Dominicus may only be busy on the weekend.

There are non-resort hotels in Dominicus and a couple in Bayahibe. I am more familiar with Bayahibe, having stayed at (and booked to return in January) the Villa Iguana. Another respectable option is Hotel Bayahibe. There is another motel in Bayahibe which is happy to rent by the half day. They are close to Casa del Mar, but would require a cab from Dominicus in the evening.

The process of doing my full review and editing my pictures is taking a long time! One day soon...

Kaki

twohands

Oct 3, 2007
My primary concern was a decent night life; I'm interested in a relaxing vacation as well, but I do enjoy dancing - particularly with the locals. As a well-traveled, stylish and gym-toned 41 year-old New Yorker, I never have issues with finding a dance partner...

It appears from your informative reply that I may have chosen my new destination well.... I can now focus on deciding on which hotel. Thankfully, I have a little time!

Thanks again for your response... I look forward to reviewing your pix.