Will DirectWay Satellite Modum work in DR?

billboyance

Oct 3, 2007
Hi DR1.

Moving to the DR in December 2007 and wondering if I should bring my DirectWay internet systems. I will be locating to a farming area north of Higuey with no phone lines and limited cell phone coverage and will need some form of internet connection. What works out in the rural areas?

thanks in advance.

bb

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
if your modem is recent enough you should be able to get on the Hughesnet network. Direcway is history.
Keep in mind that your modem without a Sat antenna is just a useless box. Depending on your location you might need from a small to oversized antenna. I think that the more you go east in DR, the bigger the antenna needs to be.
They are plenty of DR1 members in the sat business that should shortly give you more details on that.

headnerd

Dec 28, 2006
I have the dish...

I am using the Hughes system here with great success. I just upgraded to the bigger dish though for more speed. I have a .98 meter dish and 2 watt radio/LNB for sale - $300. Itdoesn't include the modem, which I am using with my new dish, but it does include the mounting tripod. I think this was $850 when it was new.

829-351-1351 if you want to call.
or mark@playalascanas.com

pedrodominicus

Dec 2, 2003
Works Great Here

I don?t know the older Direcway, but I installed and commissioned a HughesNet system in the La Romana area a few months ago. There is a strong signal on the east coast using the PR spot beam. Higuey is probably closer to PR than La Romana.

I would suggest upgrading to the latest HughesNet modem with 0.98m dish and 2W transmitter. Keep your account address in the US and change your installed address to PR, (not DR). Just follow the HughesNet dish pointing and commissioning rules for Puerto Rico, its easy to do yourself, don?t need to be a rocket scientist.