Codetel is P*ing me off!

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I have been having some trouble with the speed of my flash internet for the last 2 months or so?(mainly with DR1 believe it or not) ..Each time I have been ?fed up? enough, I have called the Codetel Data Center and tried to talk to someone in English. Prior to the new owners there was always an English option on the automated line and English Speaking Tech?s. I have read in other threads that there are no longer Reps that speak English, but thought they were just trying to give ?us? a hard time and that if you tried hard enough you?d be able to get someone.

I can speak Spanish ?well enough? to get by and hold conversations on the phone, but when it comes to ?technical? terms etc, ie: ?solving a computer problem?, I?d rather speak English.

SO, today I had some time, was ?t?d off? due to internet speed and decided to write an email to datasupport instead of calling, thinking that MAYBE my request would cause them to have someone contact me that SPEAKS ENGLISH! :tired::tired:

Below you will find my email to them, their IMMEDIATE RESPONSE (within MINUTES) and my response to them.

My original email to them?.. (My name has been deleted to protect the innocent!LOL)

To: ayuda@codetel.net.do
Dear Sirs,

I have had trouble with my internet service for about 2 months. I cannot get anyone in the internet dept to speak English and they keep telling me that my service is OK. I have tried contacting the office of Freddy Dominguez at 809-220-2102 and 809-220-2107 and have left messages on his voicemail to no avail.

Please forward me the email address and/or phone number in Mexico for the President of America Movil, Carlos Slim Hel?.
Thank you,
(MY NAME DELETED)
(MY PHONE NUMBER DELETED)
:cheeky:

THEIR IMMEDIATE RESPONSE (WITHIN MINUTES) TO ME:

Buenas tardes Sr. (MY NAME DELETED)

De acuerdo a su requerimiento, siento informarle que nuestra empresa
no le puede brindar asistencia en el Ingl?s, por la raz?n de que
somos una empresa Dominicana de idioma espa?ol y por requerimiento de
nuestro Presidente el Sr. Carlos Slim Hel? no podemos brindar
asistencia en ingl?s.

Le sugerimos que por favor nos reenvie este email en espa?ol con el
tipo de inconveniente que usted presenta, para soluci?n de dicho
inconveniente.

Nos reiteramos una vez m?s a sus ?rdenes y le pedimos disculpa por
los inconveniente que esto pueda ocasionarle.

Ilonka Soriano
Departamento de Help Desk de Datos
CODETEL
:paranoid::ermm::ermm:

MY RESPONSE TO THEIR RESPONSE:

Thank you for your response...........

I will be posting it on the DR1 and other Dominican Related websites for foreigners living in the Dominican Republic whom tend to pay their bills ontime...............AND THEN I WILL SEND A COPY OF THE POSTS AND OTHER "FOREIGN RESIDENTS" REMARKS TO HIS OFFICE.

I have already received his phone number and address off the internet.

Thank you,

(My Name Deleted)
(My Phone Number Deleted)
:bunny::bunny:

Many may not agree with me, but I, as an American from the United States, have no objection when the Mexicans and other Hispanics INSIST that EVERYTHING be available to them in SPANISH in the US when our language is English.

I cannot WAIT until someone that ONLY SPEAKS Spanish needs some help from me that I can only respond to them in ENGLISH and see how they appreciate it???

Anyone willing to start a letter writing campaign DIRECTLY to the President of America Movil in Mexico, the owners of Codetel/Claro????? Imagine if 20 of us were to write (or get others to write) a total of 5 letters with different email addresses??? I would think they may start speaking English??.but then again???probably NOT!

:mad::mad:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I understand your anger, and none of this would be happening, if they just fixed the damm problem which we all have been experiencing for the last couple of months, but they don't care, and seem to have no intention of fixing it, much less having an English crew to field our questions or to provide us service.
I come from an area in Canada fraught with language problems and battles.
I don't happen to agree with you, that they should learn your language.
As far as I'm concerned, a company should be allowed to run their biz as they choose, so long as it's not illegal.
If they lose English speaking customers because they don't provide English service, then that's their business. IMHO.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I am certain codetel is fully aware of this problem. It may just get better in time, but 2 months is a long time for this to continue.

As from my other thread, has anyone checked out DSL from any other providers? I've been a codetel flash customer for almost 6 years, but I'll certainly switch if this poor service continues.

Adrian

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am certain codetel is fully aware of this problem. It may just get better in time, but 2 months is a long time for this to continue.

As from my other thread, has anyone checked out DSL from any other providers? I've been a codetel flash customer for almost 6 years, but I'll certainly switch if this poor service continues.

Adrian
We have internet from the cable company here, but it's only for Sosua and Cabarete.
You're in Santiago, aren't you?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I'm in Santiago. We can get internet from cable (Aster) but it still won't solve the problem since their internet backbone is actually from Codetel (according to Rob when we spoke about this several years ago).

If you try the cable route you should check first to see who provides the actual backbone internet service.

Adrian

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm in Santiago. We can get internet from cable (Aster) but it still won't solve the problem since their internet backbone is actually from Codetel (according to Rob when we spoke about this several years ago).

If you try the cable route you should check first to see who provides the actual backbone internet service.

Adrian
We have it as a back up at our condos, and our friend Brad is taking care of the system.
He's in America right now, but I'll ask him to check it out when he comes back, but it still wouldn't resolve your problem.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
POP Bad Boy, you're in a Spanish country. That your country provides language support for immigrants is not relevant to the issue of Codetel DNS server problems. Perhaps we could assist with the Spanish words to explain your problem. You'll get much further that way than to demand service in English. You'll only p!ss them off more this way.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I agree they have no obligation to provide customer service in English. Nor should they 'have' to provide their native French, Italian, German, Russian, Serbian, (etc, etc) speaking clients with service in their language.

That said... as I'm sure there's a rep somewhere in their office who speaks english, they really should pass your e-mail along to them for a response. From a customer service standpoint, that just makes common sense. After all, POPBad, you have all of us to tell you that you should learn the language, you don't need them telling you too! :glasses:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
To clarify my point.......

1. I really don't need help with the Spanish. I can either talk myself OR have someone call for me.....But thanks for the offer.......

2. I already called the Codetel tech that works in my area and he will come by tomorrow and check it out (he speaks English and Spanish) BUT I HATE to ask for favors, cause these days they WILL NOT TAKE A TIP.......When they did, I never minded calling him directly on his cell and bypassing the "codetel system"........I just want to make sure that the problem is "theirs" and not my modem, router or wiring.

3. I could just use the automated system and report the number out of order. Then when the tech comes by tell him it's the internet, and even though they don't have a report as a "data" problem, if you have a "nice" tech he will help you anyway without another report.....BUT WHY SHOULD A CUSTOMER HAVE TO DO THAT......

I AM NOT SAYING THAT THEY SHOULD REINSTATE AN "ENGLISH" CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT, BUT YOU KNOW THAT SOMEONE THERE SPEAKS ENGLISH and good customer service would just ask that person if they could take the call. I just don't understand a business (as large as Codetel) that won't offer language support...AS A BUSINESS....especially in a country that counts on tourism and promotes "chips" / prepaid service and roaming to tourists for their phone service.......AND THEN GOES ABOUT BRAGGING ABOUT IT..... The same would apply to French, Dutch, Italian etc......IF SOMEONE can speak it and a client needs it, help them..........what's the harm?

I have been a businessowner for many years and a business should ALWAYS try to help their customers.....That's why this country is the way it is........people just ACCEPT things as they are and don't ever put any effort into trying to change things are not "right"........

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
1. I really don't need help with the Spanish. I can either talk myself OR have someone call for me.....But thanks for the offer.......

2. I already called the Codetel tech that works in my area and he will come by tomorrow and check it out (he speaks English and Spanish) BUT I HATE to ask for favors, cause these days they WILL NOT TAKE A TIP.......When they did, I never minded calling him directly on his cell and bypassing the "codetel system"........

3. I could just use the automated system and report the number out of order. Then when the tech comes by tell him it's the internet, and even though they don't have a report as a "data" problem, if you have a "nice" tech he will help you anyway without another report.....BUT WHY SHOULD A CUSTOMER HAVE TO DO THAT......

I just don't understand a business (as large as Codetel) that won't offer language support...AS A BUSINESS....especially in a country that counts on tourism and promotes "chips" / prepaid service and roaming to tourists for their phone service.......AND THEN GOES ABOUT BRAGGING ABOUT IT.....

I have been a businessowner for many years and a business should ALWAYS try to help their customers.....That's why this country is the way it is........people just ACCEPT things as they are and don't ever put any effort into trying to change things are not "right"........
Do you think that we even represent as much as 1% of the population?
I doubt that we do, but even if we did, or even more, that's their business.
If they pizz off a client for that reason and lose them, that's their business.
If one day, they feel that it's a good profitable business move to provide English service, then so be it, but to expect or demand it is a bit presumptuous.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It's not just english. I speak to them in fluent Spanish but they always say they can't hear me. (Having been shot my voice is not as strong as some). So I try and speak louder and they just put the phone down on me. Happens every time. They tell me to speak louder, I say I can't and they cut me off. Happy days!!!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's not just english. I speak to them in fluent Spanish but they always say they can't hear me. (Having been shot my voice is not as strong as some). So I try and speak louder and they just put the phone down on me. Happens every time. They tell me to speak louder, I say I can't and they cut me off. Happy days!!!!
I'm not a big Codetel fan, specially of their "no-help" lines.
I'm not trying to defend them, and I'm pizzed about the lousy service too, but I just don't believe that they have to provide service in English.

Feb 7, 2007
I could just use the automated system and report the number out of order. Then when the tech comes by tell him it's the internet, and even though they don't have a report as a "data" problem, if you have a "nice" tech he will help you anyway without another report.....

At least here in Higuey the Internet techs and regular line techs are NOT the same. When I had a serious issue couple of months back the regular techs don't even have equipment to measure attenuationa nd other parameters of the line. So that option won't help you much.

Try to call office of Mr. Tejeda, director of data services, and see if you can work it out. His secretary was very helpful in my issue, and then just using his name locally with the local data supervisor here made a great difference.

But leave the "english only" attitude before you call, and try nicely your Spanish. If you mix some englisgh technical terms I am sure they will understand, but keep the content of conversation in Spanish.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Welcome to a Mexican owned Codetel. If what they've done in Mexico is any indication then I'm afraid it is going to get worse...much worse. Over there phone and Internet service are horrible and terribly expensive. The only saving grace may be that unlike in Mexico where they have a monopoly in The DR they have a little bit of competition. If the service starts getting so bad then maybe Orange will enter the market.

Feb 7, 2007
In Mexico there is, actually, more competition in the telecommunications market than there is in the DR.

The ADSL from Telmex, 1mbps/128kbps costs 1227 RD$.
So it is actually cheaper than Codetel.

Also, all major cities there have cable Internet. In the DR cable Internet is far away from even what cable Internet was in the USA in the 90's.

Here in Higuey it is so amateurish that it hurts.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Rocky, Chris etc.,
I FULLY acknowledge we are in a Spanish speaking country & therefore should do our best to speak in the local tongue. I am quite an advocate of Ex-Pats learning more Spanish & integrating more with the locals as my posts over the years have shown.

HOWEVER, in this instance I have tremendous empathy with Pop Bad Boy - when it comes to TECHNICAL jargon, the matter of resolving a problem can be made MUCH quicker if both parties speak a common language & I do not understand many of the technical words used by 'Tech Support'.

What infuriates me is that I know from the names I am speaking to that these same people were speaking English to me (when we resolved the problems quite quickly) but now 'are not allowed' to do so. That is NOT conducive to good customer relations - when you KNOW someone can speak English & just is not doing so (for one reason or another).

Pop Bad Boy DOES speak Spanish as he pointed out above. He DOES start off in Spanish & will hold 90% of the chat in Spanish I am sure. Further, he is NOT looking for an 'English Only' Techie ........... just someone who can say some of the Technical jargon in English. As we KNOW there are just such people working in Codetel dis-service Dept. it is NOT unreasonable to ask for that person to assist with those technical words he does not understand. By inference, CodetelClaro is saying "We don't want to speak to you in English & we don't CARE if you take your business elsewhere".

Send me a PM PopBadBoy & I'll let you have the name of someone who has helped me in the past. She works in the an office where Bi-lingual has always been the call of the day!! - Go get them Tiger!! ~ Grahame.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
In Mexico there is, actually, more competition in the telecommunications market than there is in the DR.

Also, all major cities there have cable Internet. In the DR cable Internet is far away from even what cable Internet was in the USA in the 90's.

That's not correct. If you wish just look at the prices in TELMEX and the one in Codetel. They have different tiers and different plans so it's hard to compare apples to apples, but The DR is a bit cheaper for similar plans (not by a lot). Remember that a USD is about 11 Mexican Pesos vs. about 33.5 Dominican pesos.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002

That's not correct. If you wish just look at the prices in TELMEX and the one in Codetel. They have different tiers and different plans so it's hard to compare apples to apples, but The DR is a bit cheaper for similar plans (not by a lot). Remember that a USD is about 11 Mexican Pesos vs. about 33.5 Dominican pesos.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
The biggest codetel problem right now is the refusal to speak and understand english.
You can (try) to do that in your own country, but not international.
ISP's - Server and Email Systems and other internet systems around the world are maintained (normally) by english speaking tech's.
The whole technical base of internet is build around english and english is thus the common language and as well used to avoid communication problems.

If you refuse to work this way, don't be surprised that your internet problems are not being solved, those techs have better things to do than running around with all kind of translators (and who the hell is codetel with all their nameserver and registration information wrong in the big world of internet !?)

So, if you need updates in a nameserver, you need to request/program that in ENGLISH, if you start using spanish-german-russian names for months or other not nummeric information, your request will be refused/deleted

For people who use codetel service and have problems with their connection, program the nameserver (DNS) part of your network settings different and stop using the (heavily virus infected) codetel dns servers.

198.6.1.4 UUnet
208.67.222.222 Open DNS
208.67.220.220 Open DNS

UUnet DNS server is faster
Open DNS is a bit slower but has some nice gadgets and extra's

try those and you will be amazed.

A.