3MB Wireless Connection in Santo Domingo

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Has anyone heard or dealt with OneMax.

They are new and are offering up to a 3MB wireless connection in Santo Domingo.

ONEMAX - Home

The technology looks good on the surface, I just wonder how reliable it will be based on the usual horror stories associated with this type of hi-tech service in the DR.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
Has anyone heard or dealt with OneMax.

They are new and are offering up to a 3MB wireless connection in Santo Domingo.

ONEMAX - Home

The technology looks good on the surface, I just wonder how reliable it will be based on the usual horror stories associated with this type of hi-tech service in the DR.

I can't vouch for Onemax personally, but I can vouch for WIMAX technology overall. As long as you have client/router line of sight, you're good to go. Not affected by weather (though a class 4 or higher hurricane may give it a go), consistent speed and reliability.

Their Tier I provider (backbone) does hold all the cards though so hopefully they've partnered with 2 or 3 for reliability. (The company I use in the states has 3 for fail over.. never been down in the 4 years I've contracted with them).

Been waiting for one of the Wimax companies to look at DR as a market ripe for this technology. Bec-tel is there already and so I'm surprised they're not leading the way.

If it's available to you, try it out and kiss Codotel goodbye for ever.

CJ

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think this compnay is being financed by Mr. Jose clase. Its PR representative is from scotland. If this is the same company then we are in for a good surprise. They will give you cable channels (digital TV) with fast internet (50 times faster than DSL) and cell phone service; one package with a good price. I can't wait to have them here in santiago.
AZB

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I had a Onemax sales-rep come by my apartment for a demonstration yesterday. The bad news is we didn't get a signal so I was unable to perform any speedtests, pings and traces. The following is based on what I was told by the sales-rep::

- They just started signing up costumers a few days ago. I couldn't quite get the info on how operational it all is, obviously they are still working on expanding.

- They seem to have a very competitive attitude, the sales-rep had comparative charts showing all Dominican ISP's with their speeds & rates. I got the impression that pricing maybe negotiable for customers interested in top of the line speeds.

- They were able to establish symmetric 4MB links, the website is showing a maximum of 3MB.

- Their coverage map shows Santo Domingo from Zona Oriental all the way to Herrera, Malecon up to at least Kennedy with only a couple of deadzones. According to the map I am not in a dead zone but as I said there was no signal. Either a glitch or they'll have to draw an additional deadzone into the map tomorrow. I hope not :(

- They have around a dozen antennas installed so far. Their own equipment, not existing cellphone-tower infrastructure or anything like that.

- Depending on location, the signal works best on ground level, higher up (3+ floor) requires testing. I found that a little odd, apparently it has to do with the angle in which the signal is emitted from the the antennas.

- They run their own internet backbone connection, not using Codetel's equipment.

- The company is run by a Frenchman who was previously at Orange (or ran Orange-DR not sure).

Overall I had a very good impression and hope they'll be able to offer me service soon.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
Too bad they couldn't get the signal to sync. Are you going through with the install once it's all worked out? Huge fan of wireless LAN here and am interested in how it progresses down there.

Honestly, if they can maintain the service as a reliable internet connection, the telcos and cable providers are in big trouble. (once they get it working... and before they partner with the competitors.)

Good Luck.

CJ

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I'm still in contact with Onemax, if they get it working I would sign up for the 1.5 MB plan,test for a while and upgrade the speed later.

Wireless technology is definitely the future for cities like Santo Domingo or Santiago, where street cables are rotten to the core. As a side effect streets will look much nicer without all the wire junk :) In 30 years maybe.

Just yesterday after the OneMax person left Aster cable went out completely incl TV channels within a huge area incl all of Bela Vista. Took over 24 hours to get fixed.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
ONEMAX - Home

Contact the following and tell them your via DR1.

Suzanne Amaro - Comercial VP.
Christophe Ngo Van Duc - CTO

Phone number and email on the site.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes we have submarine cables coming into the DR, most are controlled by Codetel.

Transcaribbean System 1 In Service: 1990
San Juan, Puerto Rico -- Barnquilla, Columbia -- Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic -- Kingston, Jamaica - 2,593km at 140 Mb/s KHz

Antillas 1 In-Service: June 1997
Santo Domingo, DR -- Punta Cana DR -- Miramar PR -- Isla Verde PR - 650 km at 2.5 Gb/s

I know the DR has at least 4-5 cables operating right now.

Very soon the DR will become one of the main hubs between north and south America. The connection will come into a purpose built facility at the CyberPark.
I believe the connection is 100+ Gb/s connection.

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
Jos? Clase's company is not Onemax, is Wind Telecom, a subsidiary of the Italian (now Egiptyan owned i believe) Wind Wind Telecom... Bienvenidos! they should have started in september with wimax service but they didn't...
two months ago I read in the newspaper they signed an agreement with the army to use their military antenna sites in exchange for maintaining them.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think they will start in santo domingo on december 17th. So lets wait and see.
AZB