Supermarcados from Boca Chica to La Romana

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Are there many "American style" supermarcardos from Boca Chica through to La Romana??

I know there are plenty in Santo Domingo, Santiago, and POP...and an extremely over priced one in Punta Cana...lol. However I'm not quite sure what they offer in the way of supermarcados in that area of BC to La Romana..

(And when I say American Style I mean the ones that carry products you can buy in North America, not just the standard, smaller DR style supermarcados.)

Thanks!

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Alicious,
There is a large 'Jumbo' store in La Romana which carries a good range.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Thanks for the info leehall.

How about Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, San Pedro de Macoris areas??

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
I don't remember seeing anything in BC, JD. Must be something in SP as it is quite a large city, but I have always driven past it.

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You mean they order it in specially for you?

Yes. Just let us know what you need and we will get it in for you. We do it all the time (Yes I know this is free publicity, but it might help the OP too!!!)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
there is a HUGE super marcado right on the highway in Boca Chica. (across from the burger king). I have not been inside...but i might check it out on my next visit as all the regular markets in BC are way over priced (nearly 400 pesos for a small bottle of olive oil..i think not!)

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
there is a HUGE super marcado right on the highway in Boca Chica. (across from the burger king). I have not been inside...but i might check it out on my next visit as all the regular markets in BC are way over priced (nearly 400 pesos for a small bottle of olive oil..i think not!)

Awesome :) I'd appreciate if you let me know after your visit if it's as overpriced as everything else in BC...lol

Thanks! :D

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A

If I'm not mistaken that is a place to go for drinks not a supermarket. The place is huge. There is an Ole supermarket about a couple of miles past the toll going toward the capital on the service road.

Feb 7, 2007
In Higuey, you have several supermarkets
by size:
Iberia (very large), Supermercado Higueyano, Zaglul.
Higueyano is cheapest on the overall.
Zaglul runs lots of specials, from time to time they have Ciclon at 39 pesos 2x1.

We should be also getting some other high rankers in several developments here in Higuey within a year, talks are about Plaza Lama (confirmed) and possibly Jumbo.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If I'm not mistaken that is a place to go for drinks not a supermarket. The place is huge.

They call it Super Mercado but it really is a bar and small colmado. Most of the place is taken up with the famous plastic tables and chairs. In March of this year Frank Reyes gave a live performance here.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
oh well...like i said...i never actualy went to this super mercardo....I just happened to notice it when on the guagua to andreas. I WILL check it out next time tho as i've gotten used to cooking at my habiticion (sp?) rather than wasting money at the mediocre resteraunts. Plus its just nice cooking with my dominicano friend. I think on my next trip I am bringing a small pantry supply so i can cook some stuff for my friends and not go broke at the market. (olive oil, italian seasoning, some canned tomoataos and anchovies....things that just cost way too much there...but i will be sure to use some local ingredients as well)

this all makes me want to ask...IS There a good market to go to between SD and BC to get decent pantry and food stuff without totaly being ripped off?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
this all makes me want to ask...IS There a good market to go to between SD and BC to get decent pantry and food stuff without totaly being ripped off?

Your best bet would probably be to take a guagua to SD. Go to LaSirena on Avenida Mella at the corner of Calle Durate. The have a small supermarket section with just about anything you would need at decent Dominican prices. They also have a fresh fish section.