Overnight Trips From Punta Cana to Santo Domingo??

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
my friend and will be going to punta cana in november. we were there in july and did all the tourist stuff but this time around we wanted to experience more of the local scene. does anyone know of the best way for 2 girls to travel from punta cana to santo domingo overnight (or for 2 nights) and back? we want to be able to experience the restaurants and nightlife and the 12 hour day tour offered by our resort just doesnt cut it for us. we dont want to rent a car and drive ourselves because driving there may be too overwhelming for us but we're not looking for a tour guide so if anyone knows of a trustworthy car service that could accomodate us, we would really appreciate any tips and suggestions? thanks in advance!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
;)
my friend and will be going to punta cana in november. we were there in july and did all the tourist stuff but this time around we wanted to experience more of the local scene. does anyone know of the best way for 2 girls to travel from punta cana to santo domingo overnight (or for 2 nights) and back? we want to be able to experience the restaurants and nightlife and the 12 hour day tour offered by our resort just doesnt cut it for us. we dont want to rent a car and drive ourselves because driving there may be too overwhelming for us but we're not looking for a tour guide so if anyone knows of a trustworthy car service that could accomodate us, we would really appreciate any tips and suggestions? thanks in advance!

Try Caribe or Metro Tours. Very inexpensive and a nice smooth ride.

PS make sure you bring a light jacket since the a/c is really cold.

Have fun

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Thanks for your response. Ill definitely look into it. Any idea how safe it would be for 2 girls to travel to Santo Domingo? Despite all the common sense stuff we should already know, are there any other tips you would give u? Thanks again!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Try doing a search on tips. You will find many.

Also, there are many other experts here that can suggest.

Good luck and have fun.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Metro & Caribe do not run out in that area, but there is another service that's pretty decent.
I think you have to get out to Higuey to catch that bus.
You can PM apostropheman for exact info.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Metro & Caribe do not run out in that area, but there is another service that's pretty decent.
I think you have to get out to Higuey to catch that bus.
You can PM apostropheman for exact info.

You are correct. When I went from SD to Punta Cana, I took a bus that said "El Higuey". I then took a cab to PC.;)

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Thanks guys! All good info. Ill check it out.

Rocky...Im a newby when it comes to this forum stuff (please dont laugh!) How do I PM apostropheman if he didnt post a reply?

A

apostropheman

hola,

not to pass the buck but it's been a couple of years since i did this so i hope a local PC/higuey resident will jump in and assist.

when i went from PC to SD i took a taxi from the airport to higuey and then a bus from there to SD.

it's my understanding that these is a bus stop (parada) for a bus from the PC area that stops in higuey and then carries on to SD. i'll have to search past posts to confirm this and the exact location but i believe it's around where it says higuey, and a red arrow pointing left, on the map below. in truth it's not all that complicated if you get to the right bus stop initially :)
Punta_Cana_Map.jpg

Last edited:

fabekid

Jun 29, 2007
hi sascha. i will be in santo domingo next week(11-16). i will find out all the info for you and send them to you. a friend girl of mines took me to santiago by metro bus, it was really cheap around 350p. it was a 2hour ride. i was told that punta cana would have added about another hour to the trip, but you could not get there by metro. we could get close by and then take anothor service to there. the boyfriend for my friend is a route manager for metro, so i will ask him and get all the details for you.
so, the trip would be the same going to santo domingo...(est. 3hrs or a little more)

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Thanks...you guys rock! I really appreciate the help. This definitely points me in the right direction. Cheers!!

PS. If anyone will be in Punta Cana or Santo Domingo from November 10th to the 18th, message me back. We're hoping to hang with some people looking to explore the area and have a great time.

A

apostropheman

here is a much better map:
rsz_Mapa.jpg

if you can find the red Texaco symbol, circled in blue, and then look below you'll see where the bus terminal is.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
hi sascha. i will be in santo domingo next week(11-16). i will find out all the info for you and send them to you. a friend girl of mines took me to santiago by metro bus, it was really cheap around 350p. it was a 2hour ride. i was told that punta cana would have added about another hour to the trip, but you could not get there by metro. we could get close by and then take anothor service to there. the boyfriend for my friend is a route manager for metro, so i will ask him and get all the details for you.
As mentioned, Metro does not go out that way.
It's another bus line, and you'd be adding one hour to the trip if you have an airplane.
If you mean by land, then one hour is a dream.
Punta Cana to Santo Domingo is approx. 4 hours.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
We're looking to do this trip by land but does any one know how much airfare from PC to SD would be? We dont mind the 3-4 hour bus trip as long as we get there safely. So...we would have to take a taxi to the bus terminal and be able to take a bus to SD from there? We dont have to change buses anywhere or anything do we?

Apostropheman...Thanks for the maps! Im a visual person so its good to see where everything is.

A

apostropheman

de nada,

in case the pic is too small here's a link to a larger version :)
http://www.camadosa.com/Mapa.jpg
We're looking to do this trip by land but does any one know how much airfare from PC to SD would be? We dont mind the 3-4 hour bus trip as long as we get there safely. So...we would have to take a taxi to the bus terminal and be able to take a bus to SD from there? We dont have to change buses anywhere or anything do we?

Apostropheman...Thanks for the maps! Im a visual person so its good to see where everything is.
the first map i posted was inaccurate so please ignore
http://www.dr1.com/forums/565288-post9.html

Last edited:

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
apostropheman. no problem about the map...thanks again. i have a great starting point now. cheers!!

so can anyone confirm that the bus we get on at the bus station takes us directly to SD (with the occasional stop here and there)? i just want to make sure that we dont have to get off at a certain stop and hop on another bus. let me know!

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
fabekid...any info you can give me when you get back would be much appreciated. im looking for the safest and fastest way to get to and from PC and SD by land. THX!!

fabekid

Jun 29, 2007
sascha. i just spoke to my friend and she says it is around a 3-4hr drive and punta cana is on the east side. she says by bus it is very difficult to get there because the bus does not go there. she mention another town to me and from there she takes taxi to punta cana. i will find out the name of the town and more info for you when i'm there. by car it took her 3hrs(they drive crazy as hell there).i'm thinking with the combination of change and wait time, you will be looking at a 4 or more hours of travling time. i remember once when i was at hotel lina i saw the prices in american money to punta cana by taxi for some crazy price of $300US. i just laugh.
i will be there again oct 11-16, nov 2-10, dec 7-11, jan 19-26. i'm there every month because of my son. as soon as i get more info, i will past it on to you. i will send you info next thursday when i'm there from the hotel.
take care......

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Sitrabapu is the bus company operating between Punta Cana and Santo Domingo. Highly recommend this express bus, which stops briefly for washroom use/refreshments in La Romana. I agree with the poster who commented on the A/C, its always freezing on board.

Enjoy