Getting rid of pigeons

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Does anyone know how to get rid of pigeons? We have a lot of them flying around and landing on the windows outside my apartment.

They land on the ledge of the window of my kitchen and leave a lot of feathers and fluff which gets into the kitchen and scatters in my apartment. I find this to be quite unsanitary, and all the noise they make is very annoying. I don't like the avian-bird-flu potential either.

Solutions which don't involve killing them would be ideal.

Adrian

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
They come for food, make sure that neighbors are not feeding them...That is the only reason they come to a building...someone must given them "food"...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You can purchase strips that are like (simular)tape with tacks sticking. This will make in uncomfortable for them to roost and they will look for an alternative, like your neighbours. As someone who has spent many years trying to keep them out of Aircraft Hangars I can tell you there are many items that will work temporarly but the only permanent solution is a bullet or poision and I'm sure you don't want to use either.

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
I have seen people place a plastic owl on their window sill. I think this scares away the pigeons.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have seen people place a plastic owl on their window sill. I think this scares away the pigeons.

Thanks for bringing that up, I had forgotten about that. Will bring one of those plastic owls back on my next trip to the states.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Get A Cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also works on mice,spiders,snakes,frogs,centipedes,etc. I hate cats,but love how clean of "Varmits" (the 4 legged ones excepted!) they keep the house!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

We were "Cat Free" for a few months and the mice came back! Got two kittens last week,NO MORE MICE, from day one!!
"I hate MICES To Pieces"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I've tried the plastic owl I personally didn't have much luck with it but I see a lot of people have them hanging to scare off pigeons. It's a mystery on how to get rid of them for me??

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I had a pigeon problem once and found leaving a local chinese food menu in plane view of the window usually scares the flying rats away!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
fishing line

Criss cross a few lengths of thin fishing line across the area where they land. Not so that they can sit on it of course. It works, takes their perch away and does not really block the view.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Pigeon problem here too

The plastic owl works only for so long. Once the pigeons notice that it does not move or do anything they will land next to it and peck at it or poop on its head. There are several people in my condo who have this owl and the pigeon problems continue. Administation is just painting the condo and is at a loss with what to do with the damn birds. They sleep on the buildings' ledges and windowsills and are ruining the new paint job. We can't poison them because they are protected by some government agency. Anyone who develops a way to have them fly off to somewhere else will be an instant millionare!

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
If the plastic owl doesn't work, try gluing thumb tacks onto the window sill.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Eat them

They are very unsanitary, as you said.
Other than a Peregrine Falcon, I have no solutions, but I bet you Google does.

getting rid of pigeons - Google Search
pigeon pie - Google Search :bunny: Eat them lol :bunny: How to proof your building

Pigeons enter buildings to get food, to build nests or simply to roost and shelter. The birds gain access by any opening that is big enough. Total proofing against all birds can only be guaranteed by the closure of all openings bigger than 20mm in diameter.

Pigeon proofing includes simple tasks like sealing gaps under eaves and replacing missing roof tiles (please remember to remove pigeons prior to proofing works).

Pigeons can be deterred from using common perching and roosting sites such as window ledges and roofs by fitting stainless steel wires suspended and sprung at the correct height to prevent the birds from landing.

Other commonly-available deterrents to the feral pigeon include barrier gel, spikes and bird repellent gel.

Last edited:

victoria stiles

Aug 16, 2011
You can tie a slinky across the top railing of your balcony. Which scares off pigeons because they see light reflected off the slinky. If the pigeons will still try to land of the railing, the slinky will move and again scare them off. You should make sure that is not anything to eat or drink in your balcony for pigeons.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dear "Vicky" Don't Be In Such A Hurry To Post On DR1!

You made the classic "NEWBEE" MISTAKE,YOU RESPONDED to a 3 year old post!
Sadly,the person who made the original post 3 years ago was eaten by "Vampire Pidgeons" soon after their post!!!

No "slinkeys" in the DR!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC