be back soon!!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Oct 7th is the day I'll be returning! I'm so excited to get back to my life.
I found a room to rent down the street from where I used to live in the Colonial Zone so I'm really happy about that.
I remember reading about airport robberies. I'll be getting in about 6:30PM..probably won't get out of customs and all for atleast another hour. I don't want to take my stuff into the parking lot of the airport. Do they permit curb side pick up of all my crap? I don't want my precious junk stolen.
Whats the average cost for customs charges on a computer? I'm bringing mine with me. Its a desk top. Old, used but it has all my important crap in it.
I just saw on tv here in usa about people getting in toruble for illegal downloading of music. I have made a bunch of CD's and will be bringing them. Is there a chance I'd be arreested for bootleg music if they check my stuff?
I'm just so excited. I was hoping to stay in my apartment the first night but it will be late and I'm thinking it may be best to wait until morning to unload the stuff to take into the apartment. Any thoughts on this?
Can't wait to see lots of my old friends and drink a bien fria.
2 more days and I'll be kissing the ground of my DR and holding a bien fria in my hand!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Grab a cart by baggage claim and put all of your precious junk on it. Clear customs and walk to the curb. Whisper the word "taxi". From that point on let the driver handle your stuff. For a few extra pesos he will carry it inside your apartment.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What you think about the CD's? They are copied. I don't want to go to jail for bootleg discs. Could that happen?

Don't even worry about it. I do it all the time. I bring 10, 20 copied music CDs with me to give friends and new friends in the DR. Look at it this way, they are not bootleg discs, they are precious junk.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I always make copies of our cd's and use the copies. This way I can keep the orignials in better condition. I think it is ok to copy cd's you have purchased.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Oh, Jan...my friend and my hero...I am soooo happy for you...Finally, this is the weekend...

Have a couple of frias for Tony also...You know you're our 'godmother'!!!! ;)

About this:

I was hoping to stay in my apartment the first night but it will be late and I'm thinking it may be best to wait until morning to unload the stuff to take into the apartment. Any thoughts on this?

I wouldn't leave your 'precious junk' in a car somewhere...no matter what it is, someone might always be tempted to take it...you know how things are in DR...be careful!!!

And be happy...you're coming home!!!!! :):):):):)

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Mars ain't no place to raise your kids, in fact it's cold as hell

I just can?t believe anyone would give up Mars for the DR. Happy to see you are returning.

Chuckuindy

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I have the plan all set up.
I'll be getting in late so I'll just go to Malecon Center and stay there for the night. We'll have to move all my good junk up and then back down in the morning. I'll feel really rich my first night in DR.
Then I'll get to my place in the morning. Will do some arranging. All my belongings are already in the place waiting for me. The guy that stored my things moved all into the place for me (I'll be writing a good dominican story about that later). He even took care of paying the first months rent. I have no idea what it looks like but its only a few blocks from where I used to live and its in the Zone.
Then I have to go and get a cell phone.
Then on to the Galeira for the party.
Chucky, are you in DR? If so stop by the Galeria and join in. You know how we party there. Remember?
Anyone around the Colonial Zone Monday the 8th feel free to stop by and have a liquid with us. Its on Isabel la Catolica, coming from Parque Colon it is the first gift shop on the right.
Then we'll be going to the Cafeteria to meet some friends. Then Colmado hopping.
I'll make sure to have a few for Tony MQ.
Probably won't be going too late into the night cause I'm not used to the drinking. Have to start out slow.
And I will be very careful where my lips touch the earth when I give my DR a big wet kiss!!
Everyone get excited! I can't wait. Can't sleep. Packing and weighing my luggage over and over again (so I don't have to remove stuff at the airport like last time cause it was over weight).

Last edited:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Everyone get excited! I can't wait. Can't sleep. Packing and weighing my luggage over and over again (so I don't have to remove stuff at the airport like last time cause it was over weight).

Don't forget it's 50 pounds per luggage now. Well at least with A.A.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Yes. 50 pounds, 62 linear inches and $100 per extra piece of junk carrying apparatus! Last time I brought lots of junk it was only $50 and 70 pounds.
I weighed all the stuff out but I guess my scale was wrong and had to unload some of the luggage at the counter and send it back home with my folks. Had my dog with me, unloading boxes, how embarrassing is that might I ask?!
So today we had the scale out. I checked it, had my dad check. Weighed all the stuff at least 5 times. So hope that I have the weight right and don't have to unload agian.
I want the weight to be exactly 50#. I want to get every pennies worth!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.....and $100 per extra piece of junk carrying apparatus! ............. I want to get every pennies worth!

You are just too funny! Enjoy your flight and have a great time when you land.

Not sure what airline you are taking but is the baggage limitation two checked bags and two carry-ons?

One trip to the DR I hauled a lot of "junk" I wanted to give to a few families I know. Well I checked two pieces of luggage weighed to the max at check-in. No problem. Now I go to security check-in and I am hauling a carry-on suitcase and a small duffel bag. No problem. I get to the gate to board the plane and the overheads are full. Problem? No, the attendent just took my large carry-on and gave me a baggage claim ticket.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I have the 1 carry on (plus the purse). The 2 legal check ins and 2 extra check ins. The size of box that fits the dimensions doesn't hold my computer well. I can't fit any padding on the top or botton. So I'm just going to have to hope it arrives in working order, I really need that computer for all my web site crap.
But now only one more night then I spend about 12 hours traveling time. From Pittsburgh to NY. Ny to Miami. Miami to HOME! The tickets were free so I can't complain about the extra luggage costs.
Well..1 more day-night in USA. Have been waiting for this for 2 years 8 months.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Pack the sides as tight as you can even if you have to use old newspaper and tape shut with strong packing tape. Don?t be surprised if the luggage carousel ride stops and your cardboard box never made it. This has happened to me a few times. The first time I was annoyed and started to stand in line to fill out the paperwork for lost/delayed luggage when a porter appeared with my cardboard box on a handcart. Wow, was I relieved.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I use one of those plastic tote boxes as they are a bit more sturdy. I have never had a problem with them yet.
I do have clothes, a lamb skin pillow and other stuff packed around the computer. It will not move. It's just that the top and bottom are not protected from bumps. But I'm sure with that box it won't be tossed around or flipped on its side like a suitcase would as there is only 1 top and one bottom. And it will be taped with my beloved duct tape. The miracel tape! I also have an extra roll with me in carry on incase they decide to open the box so I can tape that baby right back up.
So pray for my computer! jejej

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Sounds like you are well prepared. I will put your computer on my prayer list along with your other precious junk!

Enjoy..............