bringing car to dr

elrico

Oct 6, 2007
im in usa wanting to bring a car to the dr, what are the rules, im a dominican citizen, how can i ge tthe car in without taxes and how much is the fare to the private company, what company you recommend to use. thanks

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
im in usa wanting to bring a car to the dr, what are the rules, im a dominican citizen, how can i ge tthe car in without taxes and how much is the fare to the private company, what company you recommend to use. thanks
I'm curious to know why you think that you could bring a car in without paying taxes.
I know that there is a one time import tax exemption for new residents, but I fail to see why anyone else could bring in a car, import tax free.
If it were possible, wouldn't everyone do it?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The one time exemption for new residents is "very partial" and not at all worth bothering with.
Certainly a lot of people would agree with you on that one.
What I don't understand is why the OP thinks he could bring in a car, tax exempt.
Maybe he knows something we don't.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
I thought the law says if you are a Dominican living outside the D.R. for more than 5 years you are allowed to bring in a container with your household belongings duty free and one car or truck. I did when I moved here in 1999 because my wife was dominican and she had lived outside the D.R. for 8 years. Maybe the law has changed.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I thought the law says if you are a Dominican living outside the D.R. for more than 5 years you are allowed to bring in a container with your household belongings duty free and one car or truck. I did when I moved here in 1999 because my wife was dominican and she had lived outside the D.R. for 8 years. Maybe the law has changed.
This is exactly what we're trying to find out from the OP.
Why he/she feels that he/she could impost a vehicle, tax free.
I didn't know about that law you mentioned.
How did your adventure go with your vehicle?
Was it smooth at customs?
Did it get here in perfect condition?
Did you have to wait for a long time?
Did you have to pay enormous bribes?

Freemo

May 26, 2003

Capt Rob

If you could do a brief account of how your move went I for one would be very interested. In particular relating to the container, what items you were allowed to bring in exactly, how it went when you unloaded the container etc. I am in the process of gathering household items with a view to do exactly what you have already done. My wife is a Dominican returning after 13 yrs away and I have heard so many differing opinions as to what you can and can't bring in on the 'one-off duty free' option.

Freemo

May 26, 2003

You can also call the govt hotline for info.

I'd be able to do that if calling from 'in country' but trying to get specific info from a government department over the phone from here is a little frustrating.

From past experience emails and faxes seem to be beyond the average Domnican govt employee.

It seems to be a case of 'oh he's calling from abroad, UK never heard of that' phone goes down, 'well we can forget about that one, Luis pass me a cold one'

Am I cynical - slightly

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
FIRST, let me say this was in 1991. I have no IDEA what is going on now. I had a 40' container put my bed, refrig, t.v etc. in the nose. Drove my suburban into the container as well and filled it with all my clothes etc. I used a agency here to handle all the paperwork. We did have to go through alot of red tape. Had to meet with the sud-director of the Aduans but, after 30 days everything was released duty FREE. No STEALING AND NO BRIBES. There was no damage to my truck. Maybe I was just Lucky or maybe it is because I was there everyday BITCHING at them. You will need to prove your wife has been out of the country for over 5 years. They may even take her Passport. They took my Wifes U.S. passport but gave it back when they finished their invesgation. I guess they just wanted to make sure there was no fraude involved.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Sorry this was 1999 NOT 1991 my mistake.
It was shipped through Antilles Marine out of Maimi and into POP.
I forget which agency i used here. But becareful with them there are alot of TIGRES working in this line of business. Oh, I also Insured everything. CFI from mia. to pop was around 2,000 dollars. but, i also shipped a 27' boat. i think the container was around 800 dollars but, again this was in 1999.

elrico

Oct 6, 2007
people the question i made was, is it 1 or 2 years for me in order to bring a car into dr tax free, i know i may have to pay other TAXES but i have more than 5 years living here and all i want to know is the procedures for me to get a car into the dr. thanks.

please respond only if you have any expereinces doing this and if you have good information source . thanks

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
people the question i made was, is it 1 or 2 years for me in order to bring a car into dr tax free, i know i may have to pay other TAXES but i have more than 5 years living here and all i want to know is the procedures for me to get a car into the dr. thanks.

As you can plainly see from the copy of your original post, that is NOT what you asked.

bringing car to dr

<HR style="COLOR: #173f96" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

please respond only if you have any expereinces doing this and if you have good information source . thanks

I wouldn't help you now, if you were hanging off a cliff by one fingernail.
You know what you can do with your attitude, don't you?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
elrico

You can bring a car in as a Dominican citizen using the one time extension if you meet the requirements. Try calling "Las Rosa Del Monte Express" in NYU or la capital for answers. Expect it to run at least US1500 in transport fees, etc. IF you meet all of the criteria.