Sosua - language school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thegirlnextdoor

Feb 22, 2007
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the language school there, I don't know what its called, but in the brochure it describes it as, "Our school in Sosua stands in its own grounds, surrounded by tropical gardens, just 5 minutes' walk from the main beach."
Im thinking of studying there and I was just looking for any information or views anyone may have.

Also I have never been to Sosua, Ive read all the information about the beautiful beaches etc, but is it a big town? Is it touristy? Can any locals tell me anything I might not read online? I know Rio San Juan and Las Galeras well, so if anyone can compare it to either of those places, it would be a big help.

I just basically want to get some local insight, I will be there for a few months, it was a choice between there, the Capital, or Las Terrenas, I chose Sosua because I know a fair few people from the NOrth Coast, so figured that was the best choice.

Thankyou for any help or comments anyone can give :)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the language school there, I don't know what its called, but in the brochure it describes it as, "Our school in Sosua stands in its own grounds, surrounded by tropical gardens, just 5 minutes' walk from the main beach."
Im thinking of studying there and I was just looking for any information or views anyone may have.

Also I have never been to Sosua, Ive read all the information about the beautiful beaches etc, but is it a big town? Is it touristy? Can any locals tell me anything I might not read online? I know Rio San Juan and Las Galeras well, so if anyone can compare it to either of those places, it would be a big help.

I just basically want to get some local insight, I will be there for a few months, it was a choice between there, the Capital, or Las Terrenas, I chose Sosua because I know a fair few people from the NOrth Coast, so figured that was the best choice.

Thankyou for any help or comments anyone can give :)
Casa Goethe is pretty kool and has a good rep.
IIC-Language tours and Spanish courses in the Dominican Republic

And this thread will give you some insight into Sosua and surrounding areas.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/66534-so-youre-bored-sosua.html

Thegirlnextdoor

Feb 22, 2007
Oh thats a great help, thanks so much, that;s awesome that it has a good rep. I just read on that site that Dominican students go there? I thought it was just to learn Spanish, do they go to learn another language or is it not just a language school?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Oh thats a great help, thanks so much, that;s awesome that it has a good rep. I just read on that site that Dominican students go there? I thought it was just to learn Spanish, do they go to learn another language or is it not just a language school?
I have not gone inside and wouldn't know if there are Dominican students there, but I have met several people who used their services and were all satisfied.
Perhaps the Dominicans go there to learn other languages.

Thegirlnextdoor

Feb 22, 2007
Thankyou so much, you have been a BIG help, I have one last question though, the people that you met, where were they from? Im English and I was told only 20% of the students that go there have English as their first language, so am curious as to their nationalities.
Also do you know how long they were there for? I know the school offers you up to 9months, I was thinking 3 or 4 to get my Spanish up to scratch, but I hear most people only stay between 2 and 4 weeks.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thankyou so much, you have been a BIG help, I have one last question though, the people that you met, where were they from? Im English and I was told only 20% of the students that go there have English as their first language, so am curious as to their nationalities.
Also do you know how long they were there for? I know the school offers you up to 9months, I was thinking 3 or 4 to get my Spanish up to scratch, but I hear most people only stay between 2 and 4 weeks.
Certainly they were folks who spoke English, although not necessarily as a first language.
I can't even venture to say how long they might have taken lessons for.

Goethe school was already here when I moved here in '91.
As I mentioned, those folks who mentioned to me that they attended classes there, all were happy, and if I never heard anything bad about them in 16 years, one would have to guess that they run a good operation.
I have no first hand experience, but logic dictates that I would feel comfortable recommending them.

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
I took classes and was not overly pleased (some good teachers, but classes with several languages going on and no real program structure, students of different levels in the same class) German owners seem mostly concerned with taking your check they do not appear to be involved in the classroom at all,

you can also try the Holiday Language school (but I did not try it), I ended up just hiring a private tutor, whose email address I can give you if you PM. I thought she was very good.

I advise not paying in advance and trying the classes and then trying another school or private tutor,

Thegirlnextdoor

Feb 22, 2007
Oh really? wow well thats put a downer on it all lol, How much was the private tutor? The main thing I liked about the school, was that you could sort out accomadation with them? I didnt really want to just have to rent somewhere all by myself.

dennis1

Oct 12, 2007
Are there any other language schools to recommend besides the Holiday school and Goethe?

seashore

Apr 12, 2008
Looking for Spanish tutor in Puerto Plata/Playa Dorado

Does anyone know of a private Spanish tutor I can hire in Puerto Plata? I live in Playa Dorado and work in one of the hotels. Thank you.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
I am/was student at the Holiday Language School in Sosua, at Hotel Colibri, Pedro Clisante. Enrique is a good teacher, very pleased with their service.

londongirl

May 1, 2006
Are there any other language schools to recommend besides the Holiday school and Goethe?

Apologies if this place has already been mentioned........

I haven't studied here myself, but checked in and had a look mid 2007.
At that time, Yolanda was building 1 or 2 extra rooms for student accommodation at the rear of the building.
Maybe someone has some more recent info on the school/accommodation side of things or has studied here?

The Spanish Center of the Dominican Republic

C/ Hispaniola Street No.43, Sos?a
Hispaniola Street is next to Codetel-Claro Office on Alejo Martinez.

Thanks

LG

jwhanleyjr

Aug 8, 2007
www.godleadsus.com
Personal experience

My wife and I both took classes at Casa Goethe. We were at different levels of Spanish and placed in different classes. We both had good experiences in our classes. We took classes there for four weeks. We had different teachers during our weeks, and the make up of the class changed each week. The mix of students was fun, and we enjoyed all the teachers we encountered. The management was very responsive to us, one week I felt the level of the class was below where I wanted to be learning, and they moved me into a higher level. The classes were well organized, and a lesson plan was followed, but there was flexibility to pursue topics the group was more interested in studying.

Regarding another post. Dominican students study both English and German at Casa Geothe. A friend of ours is taking English classes there currently.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.