Punta Cana Locals/experts--Seeking your Advice

sheeboo

Oct 7, 2007
Greetings All?I have been enjoying the wealth of knowledge here on this board and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me in my quest: I will be traveling to the DR in May with my husband, 4 year-old daughter, and in-laws. We?ll be staying at the Melia Caribe Tropical for a week. My MIL has very generously purchased this vacation for all of us. My questions are: My husband and I are used to traveling, how should I say this, a bit more on the local side?what I mean is, we usually stay at small local hotels/bungalows, eat at small local restaurants and try to stay as far away from big resorts as we possibly can; I?m not knocking the resorts, they just aren?t our thing.

We?ve been thinking that as we already have the tickets to the DR, we would like to stay an extra week on our own, but a lot of what I?ve read makes the DR sound a bit sketchy (I wouldn't hesitate on our own, but with a young one in tow...). And, I?ve only been able to find resort-style accommodations--

Can anyone suggest any small hotels in Punta Cana that are suitable for families with young children? Likewise, is it your opinions that the DR is too sketchy when not in a resort? We are very well traveled, slightly Spanish speaking, and have decent common sense?
Thanks!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i'm sure you found my answers on the other post of yours on this board.
if you have specific questions, like i mentioned in the lst thread, just send me a PM or a e-mail, happy to answer everything, o.k., by tomorrow morning, ben just watching the game and those f****** yankees won it.
looking forward for their destruction tomorrow.
Mike

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I think you will enjoy your stay at Melia Tropical and for traveling with your inlaws and 4 year old should be a wonderful time for them to enjoy their 4 year old grandchild. The Melia caters to small children and have their own Flintstones section.

For comfortable accommodations, I would also check out Punta Cana Resort & Club that sometimes has great rates and is not all inclusive. May I recommend you do the Punta Cana ecological foundation walk and visit several of the springs, and combine it with a horseriding sojourn (do this one first).
DR1 - Hotels - Punta Cana Resort

I would recommend then that you rent a car (recommend www.dr1.com/national) and then venture out to Bayahibe. Book an excursion to Saona Island from one of the operations in town. Combine the snorkeling excursion with a drive into Altos de Chavon in La Romana. Ask there for authorization to travel into La Marina de Casa de Campo. Spend 2 nights in Bayahibe. Travel also from there to Dominicus beach. Go to the public beach end beside the Dominicus Palace. Two hour drive to get here, so get started real early to be back before nighttime.

Visit the Cueva de las Maravillas on the way to Santo Domingo. Half an hour from La Romana city. Shop for art at Tamburini or Eduardo's in La Romana. Have a snack at Trigo de Oro bakery in la Romana.

DR is a great country to tour staying at small hotels, but my experience is that this is best done as a couple, and not with a 4 year old in tow. See Dominican Republic directory of businesses, products and services end check out the small hotels options around the country.

Last edited:

sheeboo

Oct 7, 2007
Thanks!

Thanks to all for your advice--all sound like great ideas and I can't wait to visit!