New banknote and coin

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
New banknote (200 peso) and coin (60 peso)

Sos?a-News
It may be true, but I have tried to make it as clear as possible in the past that Sosua News is not a source of news.
There's just as much chance of it being true, as if a motoconcho driver told you that story.
I want to make it clear that I am not disputing that it may be true, but suggesting that you should stop posting info from Sosua News, as if it was factual, as most of what they print, is not.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I thought I read that information on the DR1 news a few days ago.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I thought I read that information on the DR1 news a day or so ago.
I Googled it and found a couple of websites mentioning it.
Like I said. I'm not disputing the info, but Sosua News stories should not be quoted as fact, as they frequently are not.

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
instead of coming out with a new 60 peso coin, it would be nice to see them get a decent supply of the new 10 and 25 peso coins..I found it very difficult to get change last time in dr and the 10 peso bills were in terrible condition. I do not know if it is true or not, but i heard that the Canadian mint made the new coins for the dr. government, and that the shortage is caused because the mint will not give them another order until the first order is paid for.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I never read Sosua News. The story about new money was in the DR1 news summary. Rocky, apparently you don't read that regularly.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I never read Sosua News. The story about new money was in the DR1 news summary. Rocky, apparently you don't read that regularly.
It's not that I don't read it regularly, I never read it.
No news is good news in my world.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
change

instead of coming out with a new 60 peso coin, it would be nice to see them get a decent supply of the new 10 and 25 peso coins..I found it very difficult to get change last time in dr and the 10 peso bills were in terrible condition. I do not know if it is true or not, but i heard that the Canadian mint made the new coins for the dr. government, and that the shortage is caused because the mint will not give them another order until the first order is paid for.

I always try to have lots of small bills. I think Dominicans dont like to make change, especially for gringos. :) The new 200 and 60 would help.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I always try to have lots of small bills. I think Dominicans dont like to make change, especially for gringos. :) The new 200 and 60 would help.
I can see the 200 pesos bill making sense, but the 60 pesos coin sounds like the most absurd coin denomiation I have ever heard of.
I can just see the locals trying to figure out how much money they have when they have four of those coins in their hands.
They're gonna need calculators for that.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
I can see the 200 pesos bill making sense, but the 60 pesos coin sounds like the most absurd coin denomiation I have ever heard of.
I can just see the locals trying to figure out how much money they have when they have four of those coins in their hands.
Yea give them 4 coins they will give you change for 200 :pirate:and the receipt

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007

Sad...but true...
Then again...after a few rounds of cuba libre....my calculations can go off a bit as well....This is why it's important to pick up a few rounds early on in the night and let everyone else take over later in the evening ;)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Just a DR thing Rocky.

With the 1 peso, 5 peso, 10 peso and the 25 peso coins, it would be only natural to go to the 50 peso coin, thus matching the U.S. coins.

It was probably supposed to be a 50 peso coin, but someone with bad writing or a typo screwed it up along the way. A 60 peso coin just doesn't make sense in a country where all the other coins can be divided into 100 evenly.

When they came out with the 10 and 25 peso coins, I told my wife that they will make a 50 peso coin next. Oh well so much for using logic in the DR.

Maybe they plan on raising the price of a "Presidente" to 60 pesos! :chinese:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It was probably supposed to be a 50 peso coin, but someone with bad writing or a typo screwed it up along the way. A 60 peso coin just doesn't make sense in a country where all the other coins can be divided into 100 evenly.

You may end up being right. In February of 2006 the initial report was:
http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=10088

The Central Bank is already in possession of the coin models to replace the RD$10 and RD$20 bills, in pursuit of facilitating the flow of money with lower value.

The RD$10 and RD$20 coins will soon circulate across the country together with RD$1.00 and RD$5.00 denominations, though the exact date is yet to be disclosed.

When the coins were put in circulation it turned out to be RD$10 and RD$25. Only in the DR and only time will tell.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think that SantiagoDR probably got it right: $60 = 1 Cerveza Presidente Grande(?)

HB

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=25638

In case the Link from Dominican Times above doesn't work:

New 200-peso bill honors Dominican martyrs

SANTO DOMINGO.- The Central Bank presented a new RD$200 bill and to mark its 60th anniversary put in circulation a coin of that denomination, during a ceremony headed by president Leonel Fernandez and central banker H?ctor Valdez Albizu.

In the activity, held in the Central Bank, Valdez said that the new RD$200 bill is a deserved posthumous tribute to Minerva, Patria and Maria Teresa Mirabal, "who are glorified in an imperishable manner as an example for the new and future generations."

The commemorative RD$60 coin honors Salom? Ure?a de Henr?quez "for her eminent contributions in the fields of literature and education."