Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AVG Anti Virus no longer works

I click on the update manager and it says to restart my computer and I have been doing this all weekend. I even tried to upgrade and buy the advanced version, and my credit card was denied ..... Not for lack of funds.

Any one else experiencing any of this and or any suggested solutions.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike l View Post
    I click on the update manager and it says to restart my computer and I have been doing this all weekend. I even tried to upgrade and buy the advanced version, and my credit card was denied ..... Not for lack of funds.

Any one else experiencing any of this and or any suggested solutions.
    I've seen this happen before.
    Never figured out why, but for some reason, a given computer just would not allow the AVG update, so I had to put in another anti virus program.
    Thsi is the alternate one I use.

MajorGeeks.Com - Contacting Download Site

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rocky,

The Geeks accepted my credit card...who wouldn't

Activation is only 4 hours away...keep you posted.

PC ..Mike

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Free AOL has free antivirus!

I used to hate AOL, but now that it is free and gives free protection... its a good option. Of course one should not use AOL e mail, but do use their browser.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luperon View Post
    I used to hate AOL, but now that it is free and gives free protection... its a good option. Of course one should not use AOL e mail, but do use their browser.
    According to this article,
    AOL's Free Anti-Virus Switcheroo - Security Fix
    AOL uses McAfee, which I have always considered the 2nd worst anti virus program, just behing Norton.
    It not only doesn't catch as much as a free program like AVG, but it also slows down your puter.

Reviewers agree that McAfee causes an unacceptable drain on system performance. Customer reviews at Newegg.com, Amazon.com and CNet.com are unflattering. People complain about conflicts with other programs. Even acknowledging that unhappy customers are most likely to write reviews, McAfee receives extraordinarily low average ratings.

Symantec, which makes Norton security products, dominates the antivirus market. McAfee is a distant second, with a share of 13 percent. Like the McAfee products, the Norton security programs have been widely criticized by professional reviewers and consumers for overly slowing computer processing speed. Many owners of both products complain of software conflicts or installation problems. Professional reviewers agree that the new streamlined Norton programs are faster and lighter than past versions, but most reviewers say the system drag caused by Norton is still a major competitive disadvantage.
    Last edited by Rocky; 10-08-2007 at 06:45 AM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

try avira it works very good and is free for personal use.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/674...ger-works.html

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    According to this article,
    AOL's Free Anti-Virus Switcheroo - Security Fix
    AOL uses McAfee, which I have always considered the 2nd worst anti virus program, just behing Norton.
    It not only doesn't catch as much as a free program like AVG, but it also slows down your puter.

Rocky, I thought you did not read the news?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luperon View Post
    Rocky, I thought you did not read the news?
    I avoid it like the plague.
    Of course, I do keep current on things that affect my hobby of keeping puters fast and easy to operate.
    It's lucky that I enjoy it, otherwise, maintaining the public PCs here would be a pain in the derrière.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

PandaSoftware.com has a free on-line virus scan (Active Scan) that's top notch. I've scanned with it after using other programs mentioned here and caught things they missed. In addition to AVG regular, I use the Panda Active Scan Pro version, which is a paid subscription/upgrade. I'm also running the upgraded version of Zone Alarm and never had a problem in over 3 years now.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Avast is a good antivirus and think private use is free.
    AZB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast