AVG Anti Virus no longer works

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I click on the update manager and it says to restart my computer and I have been doing this all weekend. I even tried to upgrade and buy the advanced version, and my credit card was denied ..... Not for lack of funds.

Any one else experiencing any of this and or any suggested solutions.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I click on the update manager and it says to restart my computer and I have been doing this all weekend. I even tried to upgrade and buy the advanced version, and my credit card was denied ..... Not for lack of funds.

Any one else experiencing any of this and or any suggested solutions.
I've seen this happen before.
Never figured out why, but for some reason, a given computer just would not allow the AVG update, so I had to put in another anti virus program.
Thsi is the alternate one I use.

MajorGeeks.Com - Contacting Download Site

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks Rocky,

The Geeks accepted my credit card...who wouldn't

Activation is only 4 hours away...keep you posted.

PC ..Mike

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Free AOL has free antivirus!

I used to hate AOL, but now that it is free and gives free protection... its a good option. Of course one should not use AOL e mail, but do use their browser.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I used to hate AOL, but now that it is free and gives free protection... its a good option. Of course one should not use AOL e mail, but do use their browser.
According to this article,
AOL's Free Anti-Virus Switcheroo - Security Fix
AOL uses McAfee, which I have always considered the 2nd worst anti virus program, just behing Norton.
It not only doesn't catch as much as a free program like AVG, but it also slows down your puter.

Reviewers agree that McAfee causes an unacceptable drain on system performance. Customer reviews at Newegg.com, Amazon.com and CNet.com are unflattering. People complain about conflicts with other programs. Even acknowledging that unhappy customers are most likely to write reviews, McAfee receives extraordinarily low average ratings.

Symantec, which makes Norton security products, dominates the antivirus market. McAfee is a distant second, with a share of 13 percent. Like the McAfee products, the Norton security programs have been widely criticized by professional reviewers and consumers for overly slowing computer processing speed. Many owners of both products complain of software conflicts or installation problems. Professional reviewers agree that the new streamlined Norton programs are faster and lighter than past versions, but most reviewers say the system drag caused by Norton is still a major competitive disadvantage.

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky, I thought you did not read the news? ;)
I avoid it like the plague.
Of course, I do keep current on things that affect my hobby of keeping puters fast and easy to operate.
It's lucky that I enjoy it, otherwise, maintaining the public PCs here would be a pain in the derri?re.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
PandaSoftware.com has a free on-line virus scan (Active Scan) that's top notch. I've scanned with it after using other programs mentioned here and caught things they missed. In addition to AVG regular, I use the Panda Active Scan Pro version, which is a paid subscription/upgrade. I'm also running the upgraded version of Zone Alarm and never had a problem in over 3 years now.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
In my experience the finest all round security service is blink.

Just my opinion

John

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
Does anyone here have an opinion on 'computer associates' antivirus program? Rogers Yahoo supplies the program free to users.

elkangorito

Sep 24, 2007
AVG is the worst performing free antivirus systems out of the others (according to many PC magazine tests), the others being;

1] Antivir (free).

2] Avast (free).

3] NOD32 (not free but the best performer).

4] Kaspersky (rates close to NOD32 but not free).

Personally, I use Antivir but the only problem is, if other non-English speaking people use the computer, if a virus is detected by the "resident guard", an alert window pops up & these people quite often click cancel or ignore because they can't understand English. This ultimately leads to the computer being infected with a virus, which is exactly what has happened in my school today. Antivir does have the ability to do scheduled scans.

Avast has an excellent facility to conduct a "boot scan", which is excellent for removing those difficult viruses but it does not have an option for a scheduled scan.

I would recommend Antivir because it is not "bloatware" & is very effective for personal use.

elkangorito

Sep 24, 2007
Further, the original site for Antivir is "double u double u double u dot avira dot com"

Also, manual updates are available from this site.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Wow, Thanks for all of the responses, I paid for one but will right down the others for next year. Thanks everyone for your input.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Taken from an Ezine I Subscribe To

f you are looking for the best possible protection my top recommendation is Avira AntiVir Personal Edition Classic [1]. Although its detection rate is outstanding there are some reservations. First it lacks email scanning; this is only available in the paid version. That means that AntiVir won't warn you about any infected emails before you open them. However should you open an infected email then AntiVir will still spring into action, so not having an email scanner doesn't mean you are not protected from email based infections. My second reservation is that AntiVir is quite an intrusive product - you will certainly be well aware of its presence. Finally AntiVir Personal Edition Classic has a time limited license. It is renewable but be aware you will have to periodically go through the hoops.

If you not prepared to accept the drawbacks to AntiVir I would suggest either AVG Antivirus 7 Free Edition [2] or the Avast! scanner [3]. Neither is quite as effective in detection as AntiVir however they are both more complete products and less intrusive in use.

AVG Free has been continuously refined since it was first released in 1991 and the recently released V7.5 makes further improvements to an already solid product. Additionally, it's relatively small, light on resources, has regular automatic updates and handles email scanning. There is a free and a pro version, the only difference being that the free version has a few non-critical features disabled and has no technical support other than a free user forum .

Equally effective is the free Avast! scanner [3] though its funky media player style interface is not to everyone's taste. Avast! also required periodic re-registration while AVG does not. However Avast! does not seem to suffer the signature file update problems that plague some AVG users.

AVG and Avast! are excellent free products that will meet the needs of most users. However none of these offer the best malware detection available. That title belongs to commercial products like NOD32, F-Secure, the full versions of AntiVir, Kaspersky AV and others. They are however capable packages and offers the financially challenged a real alternative to the major anti-virus suites.

However if you use AVG and Avast! in conjunction with a sandbox for surfing (see section 4) and an anti-spyware product (see section 3) you can achieve a level of protection offered by the best commercial products.

Further improvement is possible running regular on-demand scans with a different anti-virus product.

On-demand scans should be run regularly, at least weekly, to check for viruses and other malware that may have been missed by your main scanner.

A good option for on-demand scanning is the free version of the commercial AV product BitDefender [4]. It's a first class product with excellent detection rates but as the free version lacks an email scanner and a resident virus guard, it's only really suited for use as an on-demand scanner rather than your main AV product. There are some other limitations as well. First it has an annoying habit of detecting malware products that have been quarantined by other security products and you can't exclude these areas from subsequent scans. Secondly, it is only available on a one year non-renewable license.

[1] AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic - More than Security (8.7MB)
[2] AVG Free Advisor - AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition (16.0MB)
[3] Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition (8.8MB)
[4] BitDefender Free Edition (13.2MB)

Ken:

You need not have an email scanner if you use Mailwasher Pro

View your email before it gets to your computer - now you can see what email is waiting for you so you can deal to it effectively and safely.

Delete unwanted email before you download it. A great way to stop viruses or large attachments.

Status. MailWasher Pro software analyzes each email as it arrives and warns you if it is suspected junk mail or a virus using advanced logic and filtering.

Simple Set Up. Wizards prompt you for email account information so set up takes little more than a few seconds to complete.

Simplicity. No flashy gimmicks, so easy to use that you won't feel like you have to learn a whole new program. In fact it has the familiar look and feel of Outlook Express. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3. Just check mail, mark for deletion/report/bounce, then process mail.

Works with your existing email program, whether it is Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape, Incredimail or any other program.

Multiple platforms, runs on Windows 95, 98, Me, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, Mac OSX 10.3, Intel Macs and Linux.

Mailwasher pro spam blocker | Firetrust Ltd