puerto plata best hotels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKD

Oct 8, 2007
Hi there, this is my first time on this forum. I am having a hard time deciding on a hotel in Puerto plata. Me and my family were planning a trip with my brother's family who is in the US and I am in Toronto to Puerto plata in Dec.
Iberosta Costa DOrado is expensive then there is Grand Oasis and also Bahia Pricipe??? Can anyone help me out? :ermm:
Thanks, S.

SKD

Oct 8, 2007
For 7 days and they had a deal 3 weeks ago at $769.00. Now, there are over $1200.00. I was hopping $800.00 - $1000.00.

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
Are you bringing children?
If not I would recommend the Blue Bay resort. If you are bringing children, then Holiday Village resort.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
If you are talking "deal" most selloffs are within a month or less of the travel date. For $800CDN - $1000CDN (plus taxes) you should be able to get a decent resort in Playa Dorada. One of the best values there IMHO is Fun Royale.

Gregg

SKD

Oct 8, 2007
Thanks, I did not check Holiday village resort, and yes I am taking my 3 year old.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
I always say you 'get what you pay for'. If the difference is only a couple hundred dollars I would choose Iberstar Costa Dorada hands down. You can't go wrong and will be gauranteed an amazing holiday. You will be taken care of 24/7 by the wonderful staff at this resort. Will be returning for my fifth stay here and would'nt stay anywhere else.

curlyq

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The Grand Oasis is fine (in Playa Dorada) The Bahia Principe is almost 2 hours from Puerto Plata - I do not recommend it. For me it is in the middle of bloody nowhere....

I agree with Fireguy - for bang for your dollar - the Fun Royale / Fun Tropicale is a good resort. It is a 3 1/2 star only and does not pretend to be anything else. You will have good food, good service and a lot of fun there.

The Grand is good as well, a little more expensive and on the beach.

Holiday Village is more expensive and I personally would not recommend it. It seems they have removed as much "Dominican" from the place as they can.

The Iberostar is a beautiful hotel, good food, great service etc but you pay more.... tradeoffs.........

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
my top pick

dorado naco and the allegro did fine by me. the allegro has the best non buffet dining, especially the brazilian spot. I didnt appreciate the flirtatious staff though, and they could use another pool. dorado naco on the other hand was simple but very comfortable. been there 3 times. as a golden rule for beach lovers make sure the property you choose is right on the beach, walking more than 3 minutes sucks.

Can2Dom

Sep 19, 2007
if there are kids going, i suggest the holiday village. it caters to young children!
i was there in august (2 single women) and we stayed in the adults only section but have no complaints overall. very well situated and the people were very helpful. and i think we got what we paid for there.

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
if there are kids going, i suggest the holiday village. it caters to young children!
i was there in august (2 single women) and we stayed in the adults only section but have no complaints overall. very well situated and the people were very helpful. and i think we got what we paid for there.

I agree!!
Holiday Village is a great place if you are bringing children. It has a waterslide, kids club, and the entertainment is more 'family' centred. Check out the reviews here for the resort and make your own decision.

dippyone

Oct 31, 2007
when u say the village is that in the hotel club on the green or the caribbean village . if so i had an awfull stay there with my 2 kids .Moved to the occidental allegro which was fab . so good have booked 3wks in may

Jan 5, 2006
If you don't mind going up and down a lot of steps, check out Sun Village. It's on a hillside, thus all the steps. It has a few different pool areas, including a very nice children's area, in addition to a decent beach. My kids prefer this resort over all the other places that we've stayed at.

IMO, Iberostar and the hotel next to it (Coral Marien by Hilton when we stayed there) are the best 2 resorts in the Puerto Plata area.

Status
Not open for further replies.