Spiritual Healing?

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
Hey all,
This is one of my favorite places in the DR for silence, reflection and to admire the natural beauty of Jarabacoa. It?s a Catholic Monastery located in the mountains of Jarabacoa.

Monasterio Cisterciense Santa Mar?a del Evangelio
Apartado 5.
Jarabacoa, La Vega.
Rep?blica Dominicana
Tel.: 809 223-0591

You do not have to be Catholic or religious to stay for a couple of days.
Just quite!

There are also many beautiful waterfalls and the area is great for walking and hiking. Your donation per day should be around $500 pesos or more. The brothers are cool, if you do not have enough money, they will accept anything you give them. But its one of the few ways they obtain income, besides their agricultural work and natural medicine endeavors.

The rooms are clean and you are provided with 3 meals during the day. There is a rule, if you are going to eat there; you need to be on time. Anyway I have been there many times and it?s an awesome experience. Only negatives are that the separate area only has a few rooms for people and they get a ton of folks. So you need to call and reserve way in advance. Also, I always get there with Caribe tours and at the Jarabacoa station I take a motoconcho and make arrangements with the guy or one of his buddies to pick me up the day I am leaving.

There are also taxis which you can take and tell them when your departure day is and some one from the cab company can pick you up. If I remember it is a 20/30 minute ride to the monastery. You can probably walk it, but to be on the safe side you should be with someone.

Also, remember it is a Monastery so be mindful about the time during the day that you are calling.
Fraternally
Felix
Here is more information:
Monasterio de Santa Mar?*a del Evangelio - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Jesuit Retreat?

Do you know if the Jesuits have a retreat center in the DR? I currently go to Manresa, their facility in Convent, LA, for a four day silent retreat each March.

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
La

Are you in Louisiana?
I lived there for six months, in Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
Loved it!
Felix

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
No. I live outside of Tampa now, hopefully moving next year to Jarabacoa. Tampa is in the New Orleans Province. My wife teaches at Tampa Jesuit. We have mutual friends who are related to the Provincial in SDQ.