Importing a classic car from the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I own a 1965 Vovlo 1800S which is costing me a fortune to keep in storage in the UK.

Does anyone have any ideas how and if I could get this car shipped and registered here? It is already LHD and is road legal for the UK at the moment. I have a cedula.

I know there's not much of a classic car following in this country, but I would love to have it here where i can tinker with it and pretend to be Simon Templar! (Yes it is a white one)

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Just a thought....

I met a nice British couple that were moving back to Spain who were using a Spanish shipping company that were very reasonably priced. Why not drive the car down to Spain and load it from there?

I think there's also going to be a problem with the law regarding importing vehicles over a certain age - maybe there's an exemption clause?

Failing all that I used to keep my Chevette HS in an apple barn in Sussex for around ?200 a year. Do you know any farmers?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
First of all are you sure you want to bring such a car to a country such as the DR with its "perfect" road system? You?re going to need a lot of spare parts.
But if you do want to ship the car I?d suggest to move it in a 20?container and would recommend the following company:
Office Locator | Expeditors International of Washington, Inc.
The have several offices in the UK.
Good luck "Simon Templar"

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Silly thought

If you could not import a car more than five year old; Could you ship it to Puerto Rico then just come over to the DR on a ferry visit? I guess then you could not register it in the DR..... or is there a way to register it with the right propino?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a classic car club here and they have status with the Customs people for importing classics. Unfortunately I have not been able to get into the website, but I am working on getting a 1965 Mustang shipped in. Taxes are truly minimal due to the tourist value and cultural aspects of the classics.
You can PM me for more details if you want.

HB

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I don't think that shipping is the main issue, I'm sure it can be done...at a price.

My main concerns are, if there are restrictions of age of imported vehicles, can I get a placa and metricula for it? Can I insure it for an agreed value? What import duties could I expect to pay? Let's say it's value is around ?4000 in the UK. Here it is probably worth $300 as it's a forty year old car!

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Don't

I left a Volvo 122S and a Saab 99 GL behind; it almost broke my heart.

I recommend that you do not bring the car.
If you don't use it, it will rot and rust away.
If you drive it some motoconcho idiot will run into it and it will be all your fault...

Janin

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
for the insurance you can forget about to insure it here on what You value the car.
you would have to do a basic car insurance(full insurance only available for newer cars, few years old, think 3-4 yrears is the limit), so in case of a motoconno kissing your babe you need the lata(money) to get the needed spare parts in on your own.
Mike

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Yeah, me too! The old Caddies are a little pricy though, might have to settle for an Impala, or an old 50's pickup. Man, if I'd have known you could bring classic American cars in I wouldn't have bought a rice-burning pickup truck locally.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Yeah, me too! The old Caddies are a little pricy though, might have to settle for an Impala, or an old 50's pickup. Man, if I'd have known you could bring classic American cars in I wouldn't have bought a rice-burning pickup truck locally.

If you think an Impala classic car is cheaper then you haven't seen the price of Impalas lately.
Just sold about a year ago my 1962 chevy Impala SS #matching 409 engine and rare red on red color combo for $79.000 US dollars.If that car was a 1961 which they only made 302 of them with the 409 it has an estimated value of a cool $200.000.00 US.
Not many caddies can command that kinda doe.
Hifiman

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I do some work with a law firm that just got an exception issued to bring an older car into the country. If you want more info email or PM me.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
You are very welcome - glad to be able to help.

And yes that is very scary!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is not the information I got from a member of the Classic Car Club of Sto Dgo.

Theoretically, there is a flat tax, quite low, on these gems. But, like I said until I can nail this down, let's be cool about this.

HB

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
HB you are correct! For Classic cars - in good shape - it is a flat fee. YOu have to apply in advance and get the car approved.

For all other cars what was written applies.

Shovelhead Denis

Nov 3, 2007
Bikes

I am trying to find information on taking my 1981 Harley with me to the DR and costs/fees/regulations etc............... does anyone have info?

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
I have a 1968 MG midget that's now a 300km/hr rocket, but storing it in Canada is BS because obviously I want it here. Maybe we could all get together and have our cars shipped at the same time from the same countries, might make things smoother, my car is tiny and doesn't take much container space. It's breaking my heart (and wallet) to keep it there and before anyone says "why would you want to drive that here" or "some motoconcho will crash into it" or "the roads and salt will eat it" or whatever else you got, my answer is "I don't care, I want the car here to enjoy, not sitting in storage forever and for that I'm willing to take the risks involved".
If there are Canadians here or Americans close to the border, then let's get together and get our cars back.
I'm in...
Good luck to everyone.
: )

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hmmm...US$3500 flat rate to bring a classic in?

I may reconsider bringing my totally restored '71 TR6 down there...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am trying to find information on taking my 1981 Harley with me to the DR and costs/fees/regulations etc............... does anyone have info?

You have to call Aduanas in the Capital. Appareantly there is only one fellow that deals with this and I forgot his name. BTW, everybody here likes King's Label, if you know what I mean, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.