Egg Cups

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
You're not going to believe this but Dominicans don't have egg cups. Consequently, not knowing what they were our cleaner chucked out our rather shabby plastic ones thinking they were rubbish. I have two children who are both well versed in the tradition of soft boiled eggs and soldiers and if I hear young Daisy say "eggy eggy eggy eggy eggy" once more at breakfast time I'll go nuts.

Does anyone have any spares? Or if anyone is travelling out can you possibly fetch me half a dozen?

Daisy and Harvey need you!!!!!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
While you find some new news I have a suggestion. Shot glasses work well if you put the pointy end first. ;)

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
great idea but ....

Shot glasses will work for Nicky and I but Daisy and Harvey are both at that stage in their development where they like to turn ordinary household objects into high speed projectiles.....

Keep 'em coming!

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Eggys in an Egg Cup

Many many years ago, my nephew would only eat his eggs this way too,
I am heading to Canada next week, and back the end of Oct. if you still need them PM me and I will gather up some.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
On my way to Miami tomorrow and back on Sunday. I will be doing some shopping and I will put these on the list.

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Make your own with plastic tubing (wide bore) from ferreteria and paint with bright colours or use inverted plastic tops from suitably sized items like aerosol cans or if you have a gouge make wooden ones but don't forget to sand and varnish so splinters don't get into little fingers. :)

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Thanks to you all.....

Seeing as it's raining I'll be giving Lambada's "tubeCups" a go this afternoon with Harvey and Daisy doing some of the painting.

Hillbilly - That's very kind of you and if you don't mind I'll take you up on your kind offer, but please look out for cheapo unbreakable plastic ones.

I'm still amazed that Dominicans consider runny eggs and soldiers to be off the menu because the egg is still "raw" yet I've never been sick from eating one, while oddly in the UK a few years ago they actually tried to stop the public from eating eggs this way because to quote the health minister of the time Edwina Curry "most of the British egg production was infected with salmonella"

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You should see Dominican faces when you drop an egg into simmering water to make poached eggs!!! They think you have gone totally off your rocker, to take the shell off first!!!!

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
of course we will!

Simon and Nicky,
In light of your recent kindnesses towards us, we would be delighted to bring you some egg cups on our next holiday. Unfortunately Hillbilly's got us beat timewise, but if you need them still come January we'll most happily oblige!
Looking forward to seeing you both and Daisy, and to meeting Harvey!
Ron and Sheyla;)

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I'm still amazed that Dominicans consider runny eggs and soldiers to be off the menu because the egg is still "raw" yet I've never been sick from eating one, while oddly in the UK a few years ago they actually tried to stop the public from eating eggs this way because to quote the health minister of the time Edwina Curry "most of the British egg production was infected with salmonella"

This is an interesting thread. After reading it yesterday, I had to go home last night and ask my Dominican husband for the scoop because he absolutely loves boiled eggs (runny or hard) and I wanted to know what he used to eat them as a child in the DR (i.e. egg cups). He could not recall ever seeing them in a store and believes that, like his family, most Dominicans either make them themselves carved out of wood or have a family member or friend make them for them. Ever since meeting him I have always found the way in which he eats his boiled eggs to be quite particular. He always has two and uses a little baby spoon to tap the top of the narrow end to break it up. Then he peels off the shell to show a little circle and then scoops out the egg inside to eat it. He does not dip in toast like I do but he does enjoy it on the side. It's quite funny to watch.

Just thought I would add this as my curiosity got to the better of me in wanting to know the history of egg eating in the DR ;)

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Smaal piece of wood, big drill and make a hole in the wood to pu the egg in

easy, fast and cheap, but still a nice projectile

greetings

Johan

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
A shop in the Paseo in Las Terrenas sells egg cups but I?ve forgotten how much they were.