Anyone know of any jobs or cheap apartments in POP

BETTYBOOP

Aug 8, 2004
I am hoping to move to RD VERY soon, but I am wanting to rent somewhere (perhaps for 6months) while I look for a property to own. Any help would be GRATEFULLY appreciated.

I am obviously also looking for the oportunity of a job. I am trained in Human Resources but I am sure I can put my hand to pretty much any type of job. :glasses:

Jodie xox

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
It was indeed but the restaurant is no more. All apartments now.

Oh really?? :( Too bad...
Oh well...great location for apartments anyways.
Any idea how much they go for? I'm not planning on heading back to POP, but for curiosities sake..?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I am aware of several companies looking for staff - please forward your resume to me by email.

Also, apartments - depends on what you are looking for - tell us your budget, what you need - furnished , unfurnished etc etc.

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
There have been quite a few questions about renting apartments in POP recently. Why don't you contact some of the other posters wanting to move soon, and consider renting together for a few months to save $$ while you look for work? Maybe you can start a "roomate wanted" thread.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
There have been quite a few questions about renting apartments in POP recently. Why don't you contact some of the other posters wanting to move soon, and consider renting together for a few months to save $$ while you look for work? Maybe you can start a "roomate wanted" thread.

I think that's a great idea for the posters all looking to rent in POP, dr_qt!! You're a smart one! ;)

That way, gives them a place to stay for cheap while the search out more long term accomadations....

And those ppl who aren't as familiar with life in the DR, will give them a bit of a chance to adjust, and see how they like it before they get their own place!!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
BAD - BAD - BAD IDEA........... Can I tell you how bad an idea that is!!!!!!!!!!

First of all - you are judged here by the company you keep. Finding a roommate over the internet - not a good idea. You will be associated with that person - regardless of how long you share a place.

Second - you will not only be getting the roommate but the boyfriend/girlfriend of said roommate. THEN you get the friends - the family and others of the boyfriend / girlfriend......... You will have no control - regardless of the rules you put in place. Other people will get keys to YOUR place.....

DON'T DO IT!!!! It is dangerous, it is not worth it to save a few thousand pesos. IF you cannot afford your own apartment - then do NOT move here.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Renting with someone you don't know could potentially be very 'educational' ;) since if that person turns out to dabble in drugs (quite a few do, lamentably) then your future accommodations could be provided by the DR Prison Service & trust me it isn't much of a service. It IS long term however. :laugh:

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
I have seen quite a few posters here from Canada inquiring about rentals in the POP area. If the people live close enough in thier home country, meeting before deciding to become roomates may help.

Of course it is important to have some type of process to weed out the crazies and troublemakers.

I think it would be helpful to have a "buddy" with you in a new country, especially considering the cultural and language barriers you will face.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have to agree that the room mate thing around here, usually turns into the nightmare from he77 adventure.
I wouldn't do it.
It sounds good in theory, for economics, but it just doesn't work out that way.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
KNowing people and having friends in a new country - definately a good thing.

BUT pay attention - having roommates is NOT a good idea. You take on their boyfriends and his friends and family. Those of us who live here KNOW what is going on. You will not "weed" out anything. DO NOT DO IT.

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
Planner, Rocky and Lambada live in the DR so the perspective they have is probably more realistic for the area than my NA advice.

If you can't afford to support yourself in another country, it's most best to wait until you have the finances to do so.

Actually, I have always been taught to keep at least one years income in savings in case of an unexpected illness, or work layoff, in addition to expected expenditures.