No Small Change

Feb 7, 2007
Not only cents... many times you won't even get 1 or 2 pesos back... you get a usual "te debo un peso" and then when you come back to the same cashier and you give money less one peso, suddenly they "don't remember".

They can call me "miserable" but if the bill is less than XX.50 I insist on being given a peso back, and even more when the difference is 1-2-3 pesos and the cashier has no change on hand. "Haz me favor y buscalo" is my usual response and I insist.

Feb 7, 2007
Today's update:
So now the supermarkets want to hand out 5 pesos worth of mentas... not with me... got my change back

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Today's update:
So now the supermarkets want to hand out 5 pesos worth of mentas... not with me... got my change back

Well, I think that's actually cute.

I have developed an other system with the "te devo....". I usually reply: "... ai, mira que si tengo cambio... devuelvame eto!" then I give them the same money less the change and say "... oh... ahora YO te devo!" :cheeky:
They get the message much quicker and effectively than arguing half an hour. Usually I get a nice smile and some comments like "... ai, pero tu ya ere un tiguere" :)

... J-D.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Gringo Taca?o

....then I give them the same money less the change....Usually I get a nice smile and some comments like "... ai, pero tu ya ere un tiguere" :)

Unfortunately the mentioned method is not possible with every payable amount.

I've had different reactions from cashiers and they range from a joke or a smile to throwing the change (which they did have... ;) ) angrily on the counter murmuring something like 'gringo taca?o'..... :pirate:

Janin

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I try and carry a handful of those 1 Peso Chiclets, when I go to the grocery store, I just use the gum as currency. If the bill is 203 Pesos I hand the checker two 100 Peso notes and 3 boxes of Chiclets, works every time.

I made the mistake of using Bazooka once, and it's apparantly not legal tender!
308vbrr.jpg

t'

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
If they do this with every customer,say 150 per day x average 2 pesos = 300 pesos one day x 5 = 1500 per week x 52 weeks = 78,000 rd per year ,not a bad little scam:ermm:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They must pay @ least 1/2 a Peso per mini-pack of gum, Perhaps I will start arbing gum. I am going to Costco later.

t'

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
To be honest I am not sure it is always a scam. I have been unable to get 10 or 20 RD$ notes from the bank for the last 3 months. So we suddenly have a real problem with change in the colmado, and we often have to resort to chiclet change. Or we round it down and ask people to pay us what they owe when they next come in. The problem is the lack of notes and the lack of coins - the bank never appear to have any coins either. But this is not just happening in the small colmados - it is happening in the supermarkets in San pedro too so I think it is a nationwide problem

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The cashiers cash out at the end of the day, and anything over what the cash register says it should have goes directly into their pockets.
I would fire them for theft and throw their butts in jail.
Whatever is in my cash register, belongs to me.
You take the good with the bad, when you have a biz with a cash register.
If armed robbers rob you, it's your money they are taking, not the cashiers.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well, I think that's actually cute.

I have developed an other system with the "te devo....". I usually reply: "... ai, mira que si tengo cambio... devuelvame eto!" then I give them the same money less the change and say "... oh... ahora YO te devo!" :cheeky:
They get the message much quicker and effectively than arguing half an hour. Usually I get a nice smile and some comments like "... ai, pero tu ya ere un tiguere" :)

... J-D.
That's exactly what one should do.
Who cares if they don't like it.
It's the vendor's responsibility to have change.