Again - Anyone know of any jobs or cheap apartments in POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BETTYBOOP

Aug 8, 2004
Guys,

I am sorry that I did not check my previous post earlier, but my internet connection has been down, and I have been too busy at work to have checked from there however I now see that it went off on a tangent of its own, but can I thank the few people that did answer my question to begin with.

Can I please just clarify a few things, I think that maybe people are thinking that I have a Sanky in RD, I do not and wish never to. I have now visited RD 13 times and each time I visit I fall more and more in love with the COUNTRY (not a Sanky).

I am a Hard working honest person. My previous job involved looking after 350/450 employees (more people in the summer season), dealing with their payroll, helping with the process of recruiting them, training them, dealing with their daily needs (whether it be a minor accident at work or a death in the family that they would have to come to inform for compassionate leave), working daily alongside 5 of the top management team etc etc so if people think that I am a young, naive, foolish, Sanky smitten person then you are sadly mistaken! As I said before I have fallen in love with the country and I asked the question with an honest intention of getting a little information back from the people that live there and presumably became to love the country the same was as I have - by visiting there many times. I am sure that many of you that did move there before the joys of the net, would have maybe liked to have used this facililty to ask the same questions as I am instead of going there, without the knowledge of where you were going to live fullterm, or work.

So please people, I ask this question for you to answer back, and not use it as a grounds to argue with each other and then maybe this site can be used for what it is there for? and PLEASE do not use what I have written here as a bite to get back at me with, I would just like a little of your knowledge from you have living there a long period of time.

So here I ask again :cheeky:

I am hoping to move to RD VERY soon, but I am wanting to rent somewhere (perhaps for 6months) while I look for a property to own. Any help would be GRATEFULLY appreciated.

I am obviously also looking for the oportunity of a job. I am trained in Human Resources but I am sure I can put my hand to pretty much any type of job.

Thank you,

Jodie xox

Last edited:
Thread

I will leave the post here, the other was edited and moved to "Living forum" if this gets out of hand like the last one, I will pm the original poster with the pertinent posts and lock the thread, there was far too much name calling etc. especially by one poster who is on a 10 day leave.

Jodie it is not your fault we are here to try and help but some peoples kids just do not know how to act.

BETTYBOOP

Aug 8, 2004
I understand, I just hope that people read my reasons for re posting this and accept what I have said. If they don't then I really do not see how they can be stopped.

Jodie x

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
When you say that you are interested in living in Puerto Plata, do you mean the city?
If so, I certainly am curious to know why, as it wouldn't be my first choice.
As for a job, you would have to speak Spanish fluently, and I don't know if you could find one in your field, but it certainly would not pay what you get back home.
As a rule, salaries are a joke.

BETTYBOOP

Aug 8, 2004
I do speak Spanish moderatly well now, I believe I jst need to be surrounded by spanish speaking people for maybe a month, to have it all (as I live in a small Dorset village in the UK there is not much chance of that happening here! :) ).

I chose POP for the simple fact that I thought it may be easier to find work there. I am aware that I may not find a job accurate to what I know, but I am honestly willing to give anything a try.

Jodie x

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Betty,

As one of those who was responsible for the mischief over the last few days, allow me to apologize for my part in hijacking your otherwise perfectly legitimate thread.

None of what I wrote was directed at you, but regardless I shouldn't have allowed myself to get into a catfight over things that didn't serve to provide any additional information to you or other interested readers.

Mea culpa.

If you're interested in expanding out a bit into other areas, I've heard good things about the long term rentals at las canas. Very nice units, resorty atmosphere, very safe, and reliable utilities. Rent goes for 5-600 per month on a long term rental, and the property management is supposed to be top notch.

Buena Suerte:glasses:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Jodie, there's an advert in Tuesday's El Faro (PP local paper) which says a well known restaurant/bar wants a manager who needs to know Windows, & can work under pressure. Same place has other jobs. Everyone has to be able to speak English, live in Puerto Plata or prepared to relocate, have a degree plus experience. Send cv to ptoptarestaurant@hotmail.com

I've no idea who it is but maybe worth a try?

BETTYBOOP

Aug 8, 2004
Than you for apologising DRob.

Thank you as well to Lambada, that does sound like an interesting one (can;t see the need for a degree though lol). I was brought up in the Hotel trade, my parents owned a fewand as there child, you can proboby guess that I worked MANY hours in the restaurant so I may just email them and see what chance I have.

Jodes x

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I do speak Spanish moderatly well now, I believe I jst need to be surrounded by spanish speaking people for maybe a month, to have it all (as I live in a small Dorset village in the UK there is not much chance of that happening here! :) ).

I chose POP for the simple fact that I thought it may be easier to find work there. I am aware that I may not find a job accurate to what I know, but I am honestly willing to give anything a try.

Jodie x
So if you found a good job in another part of the country, that would be suitable?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I understand the decision to come to this area. As someone not fluent in Spanish you will need to relocate to an area where there is a stronger probability of getting work in English! Puerto Plata is one such area. Yes there are jobs here.

Send me your resume and I will be happy to send it on. When do you plan to move here?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Than you for apologising DRob.

Thank you as well to Lambada, that does sound like an interesting one (can;t see the need for a degree though lol). I was brought up in the Hotel trade, my parents owned a fewand as there child, you can proboby guess that I worked MANY hours in the restaurant so I may just email them and see what chance I have.

Jodes x

It's an interesting phenomenon in many countries where salaries are extremely low. For example, in Manila, all the cashiers at McDonald's have four year degrees, and the job selection process is most competitive.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
It's an interesting phenomenon in many countries where salaries are extremely low. For example, in Manila, all the cashiers at McDonald's have four year degrees, and the job selection process is most competitive.

I heard this is even happening in Puerto Rico, go figure!!!!;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Jodes x

Yes do give it a try - at the very least it gives you experience of applying. Stress your parents owned hotels (the family thing here is important). If you haven't got a degree don't worry. Include all your GCSE's & any post school diplomas, higher ed. certificates etc. & particularly important for here, remember to include the academic institution which issued them, even if it is one you think few in UK will have heard of, let alone people here........:)

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
I heard this is even happening in Puerto Rico, go figure!!!!;)

its actually not that uncommon in nyc either.I know of 2 people both with bachelors degrees,one worked delivering entenmanns cake,the other at the front desk at the plaza hotel in nyc.you do what ya gotta do as they say...

BETTYBOOP

Aug 8, 2004
Well i now have two different options of choosing from, which do you think sounds best :)

1st - there is a volunteering organisation called Dominican Crossroads in Sosua where you pay $50 a week and that includes 3meals a day and transport to your volunteering placement. Only thing is that obviously you have to take all you equipement with you, i.e pens pencils paper etc if you opt for working with children, or bed sheets shampoo etc if you opt for 'helping' in local hospitals. there is a cerfew of 9pm because it is apparently a drive through Sugar Canefields which they say can be dangerous.

2nd - There is an apartment in Cabarete (Winde Apartments) which would cost us $200 a month each (so the same price as Crossroads) but obviously doesnt include transport, food etc.

I am asking the people that already live there, do you think it is a good idea to get straight into accomodation and search for a job then (obviously taking out enough money for 6months of living inc. the apartment rent) or to do the volunteering first? What I am trying to say is that i want to get a feel for what it is like LIVING in the country, and i am not sure whether doing the volunteering would make me focus on the downsides (and mayne some ups i'd expect) of the country.

Any advice welcome :)

Jodie xXx

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well i now have two different options of choosing from, which do you think sounds best :)

1st - there is a volunteering organisation called Dominican Crossroads in Sosua where you pay $50 a week and that includes 3meals a day and transport to your volunteering placement. Only thing is that obviously you have to take all you equipement with you, i.e pens pencils paper etc if you opt for working with children, or bed sheets shampoo etc if you opt for 'helping' in local hospitals. there is a cerfew of 9pm because it is apparently a drive through Sugar Canefields which they say can be dangerous.

2nd - There is an apartment in Cabarete (Winde Apartments) which would cost us $200 a month each (so the same price as Crossroads) but obviously doesnt include transport, food etc.

I am asking the people that already live there, do you think it is a good idea to get straight into accomodation and search for a job then (obviously taking out enough money for 6months of living inc. the apartment rent) or to do the volunteering first? What I am trying to say is that i want to get a feel for what it is like LIVING in the country, and i am not sure whether doing the volunteering would make me focus on the downsides (and mayne some ups i'd expect) of the country.

Any advice welcome :)

Jodie xXx
That's a really tough question.
I would come down and look at both options with my own eyes, talk to people in both places, and make my decision from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.