Cedulas for Haitianos in the DR

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In a conversation I had with a Dominican worker today he commented on how efficient the DR is in documenting ALL people in the DR including Haitianos. He contrasted this with a proposal made by the Governor of NY State that is in favor of granting a license to illegals in NYS.

My question: Is what he said true? What purpose does it serve to issue a cedula to someone (from Haiti) that is an illegal in the DR? Or, did I understand heim incorrectly?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
In a conversation I had with a Dominican worker today he commented on how efficient the DR is in documenting ALL people in the DR including Haitianos. He contrasted this with a proposal made by the Governor of NY State that is in favor of granting a license to illegals in NYS.

My question: Is what he said true? What purpose does it serve to issue a cedula to someone (from Haiti) that is an illegal in the DR? Or, did I understand heim incorrectly?

My thoughts would be that the government will do just about anything to make money.

If in fact it was true, you know there will be a fee.

It is cheaper for an individual to remain here illegally then to pay the renewal fees for residency. The penalty stops at $15,000 pesos, yet renewal fees and costs associated with it, total that and more if you stay here long term legally.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
and he went on to say..

there is a fingerprinting process for the cedulas, including the Haitianos. OK, I asked what do they do with the fingerprints. First, he said they are entered into a computer. Now, I don't know if this is true or not, but I told him I found that hard to believe. Second, he said in major cases such as murder, kidnapping, etc. they used the dusting of prints for a match-up. I said he was crazy and he has been watching too many U.S. forensic programs on TV, and I didn't believe they had the expertise, where will all, or desire to do this in the DR.
Am I crazy or not?
john

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
From my understanding there is or will be a separate registry used for illegals, but as far as giving cedulas to illegal Haitians don't think so.