Tourist Shops List

atollbeach

Oct 13, 2007
I'm currently working on expanding outside the US and starting a small company here in the DR with plans to sell custom specialty items and gifts. We plan on working to provide employment of up to 100 Dominicans in the sales and marketing sector and hope to contribute to the local economy. I read today on the DR1 website, "Hoy is reporting that in the DR there are 5,000 stores and 2,500 producers dedicated to making and selling artwork and gifts to tourists".

I was hoping that the board might be able to give advice as to where I might find a good list of some of the 5000 stores mentioned in the article.

I have lived here in the country off and on for over eight years and have done a variety of business. I hope to use this forum to take advantage of your combined wisdom and knowledge of the country and business practices.

Thanks for the help,
Joseph

S

sokitoumi

phew thats a big list.......there are about 1000 in sosua and cabarete alone I should think

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
It also doesn't sound as you have much of a business plan. Let me offer up this suggestion, do a 'search' on DR1 for starting a business in the DR. I think that should help bring you up the learning curve.

Frankly, the project doesn't sound all that viable as the competition would be fierce from the locals who are most likely willing to work in their own shops for far less.

P.S. Knowing the DR, I doubt such a list as you're looking for exists.

atollbeach

Oct 13, 2007
Business Knowledge

Twenty five years of successfully running a business in the US so most of the business plan was implemented years ago, learning curve complete. Eight years living off and on in the DR and working with many successful business owners here in the country.

As far as the locals willing to work in their own shops and competition, the products offered by my company are not being manufactured in the DR, yes I've researched this. As most know the bulk of products are now being manufactured in China and the DR has no chance of competing on prices; as most of you know this is one of the main reasons the free trade zones have suffered. I travel to China regularly in order to to build the required business contacts and check first hand on the companies making my products.

The main problem in the DR is not having the right product but having the right connections, as most of you already know. You show a product that someone loves and he calls cousin Jose, who has a gift shop, to see if he can find it for the same price or cheaper. I'm not worried about this because I know they can't compete with me on prices as I'm the wholesaler.

Any way thanks for the advice to do a search.

Joseph