partying in puerto plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison_mary

Jul 12, 2007
Hola,
I am traveling to Puerto Plata (playa dorada) next week with 3 other girls (canadian) and we are looking for somewhere to party outside the complex. We will probably spend most of our nights at mangu but looking to venture to sosua for a night of partying. Is there any places recommended that is gringo friendly??? We are looking for somewhere to dance while taking in the DR culture. Any recommendations??? How much do you think it will cost via cab to sosua?? THANKS!!!

Allison

bocadulce

Aug 21, 2007
I much prefer Cabarete. It's a true beach town with shops, restaurants and bars. It's about 30 minutes from Playa Dorada. I'm not sure how much a cab will cost to get there, but ask someone who works at Playa Dorada. Here's another idea: rent a car, it will save you money.
Good luck and have fun!!

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If you plan on drinking a few Presidentes take a cab. Driving at night is not a good option, especially since you don't know where you are going. There was a recent thread about driving at night, and most seem to agree............don't do it. Cabarete would be a better place to go.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
. . . and why choose one or the other (Sosua or Cabarete)?

Do an afternoon in Sosua and an evening in Cabarete -- not necessarily on the same day.

IMHO everyone should see the beach at Sosua (~195 shops, bars, restaurants -- casetas in about one kilometre) before snuffing it. You don't have to like it to marvel at it.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Do not drive any where!!!!! Especially when you and all the Dominicans on the road have been drinking.

4 young Canadian girls would be better off taking a taxi to AZUCAR at Montellano (sp) or go across the hwy to the Dominican bar that has all the great concerts - El Campito. Or go in to Puerto Plata (300 peso taxi if lucky) to Teraza Caribe or Rancho Tipico.

Where's Planner? - she knows where to go.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Go out the main gate of Playa Dorada, walk to the left down the Hwy. It is on the other side of the road before you get to the other gate of Playa Dorada.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Unfortunately El Campito is virtually shut down. They do the odd concert only.

I will invite the 4 ladies to send me a pm or email and I can help them out while they are here.....

I second the advice - do NOT rent a car! Use taxis or public transportation!

There are decent places to go to in PUerto Plata area where you can have a Dominican experience! If you like live music we can arrange that too - most likely...

Last night we went to Rancho Tipico Puerto PLata for El Prodigio......... amazing concert. Must have been 1,500 people in the club. The dance floor overflowed to every available piece of floor that didn't have a seat on it.....

Rancho Tipico Monte Llano is ok but not fabulous. It depends on the day of the week.....

allison_mary

Jul 12, 2007
we got a good deal on our resort...that's why we are going to playa dorada.....we only want to venture out a few nights...

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
My personal fav places to party in Puerto Plata are
La Canita
Rancho Tipico
La Barrica

...although it's been a little bit since I lived there, so I'm not sure if there are now better places.. ;)

And I would advise you take up planner on her offer. That's your best option for having a good time...getting help from someone who currently lives there!

Very nice of you planner! :)

And once again as mentioned in this thread...I also think renting a car is really not a good idea. Especially if you are not familiar with the area, Dominicans are generally CRAAAAZY drivers, and the roads are horrible in many places compared to what you are probably used to.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
La Canita

My personal fav places to party in Puerto Plata are
La Canita
Rancho Tipico
La Barrica

I was at La Canita a couple of times last March. I was with a Dominican friend both times and I am not sure that I would have gone there on my own (without someone local). It was a very dark neighbourhood and probably not one of the best areas. I must say I had a wonderful time--great music, lots of people but would not have ventured there on my own.

I have not been to the other 2 places--will have to try them out next time.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I don't think it's in a bad area...well I lived fairly close to there.LoL
I mean if you cross the street and start wandering around the neighborhoods close by, it's not a good idea...especially at night...but that isn't advisable anywhere. Other than that, I see now reason why it wouldn't be safe there.
But the disco itself is fairly safe...or it was last I went there.

Status
Not open for further replies.