Black and white Dominicans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominicanob

Oct 13, 2007
Hello everybody i am new.
And wanting to know more about my dominican hertiage.
I heard some Dominicans have black and white ancestry is that true?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

If you have a look at Friday's news October 12th. on the Home page you'll see some interesting heritage material just recently discovered:
Dominican Republic News & Travel Information Service
'The ancestors of Moca
Moca original settlers were multiethnic and not entirely of Spanish descent as originally thought. The finding earlier this week of 18th century death certificates with Dutch, English, Spanish and even African names and skeletons and artifacts at a colonial style cemetery have townspeople looking into where their ancestors came from. Also, it proves the town could be much older than previously thought, as the registry shows persons born in 1722.'

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006

If your family is from poor or middle class stock then you most likely mulatto (mixture) with a mix of the following:

Arawak Indian (Taino Indian)
African
Spanish
French

Do a ?google? on the this island and you?ll learn that nothing is ?black? or ?white?.

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
that makes no sense im from the cibao region and my ancestors are specifically from the gallegos in the part of spain called galecia and our family wasnt rich nor poor but we own land since our ancestors. i think there will always be a misconception with dominicans being mix and african decent.

we know the tanio indians were the first to occupy the land and most of them became extinct when the europeans came, that means more europeans specifically spanish and french through different era's. spanish and french colonialist settled and by that time the slave trade was big and many africans were manifested on to the island and the europeans obviouslly mingled with them and then so on and so forth u get mulattos. but many regions in dr contain european blooded dominicans. i for myself know that being dominican is far more then the color its a way of life cause we all share a part of our culture.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
that makes no sense im from the cibao region and my ancestors are specifically from the gallegos in the part of spain called galecia and our family wasnt rich nor poor but we own land since our ancestors. i think there will always be a misconception with dominicans being mix and african decent.

What makes no sense and what misconception are you talking about?

BTW, most Domincans are of mixed heritage even though they may appear "black" or "white". Also, I live in the Cibao region and am aware that they are still a small number of pure Spanish heritage people but just because you're ancestors were from Spain won't necessarily be telling - many mixed Dominicans can trace roots from their family to Spain as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.