For those who knew Hugh Edward Gannon

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Coming fairly close on the heels of the two Italians killed in Boca Chica last week (which is all over the Italian newspapers) this Canadian 63 year old owner of Las Canas Hotel, Gaspar Hernandez met a very nasty end in the early hours of Sunday morning. Papers use the word for decapitated but I think they mean his throat was cut. 27 Haitians have been detained. Sincere condolences to the family of the deceased.
El Nuevo Norte > Inicio

sacandomelao: Degollan inversionista canadiense en Gaspar Hernández

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Our Deepest Condolences

We heard about this early today out here .We met Hugh at the Canada day celebrations. Easy going and a real down to earth fellow. We are very saddened and we are touched by this as we live also in Gasper Hernandez. I hope that they find these people and justice is served. Complete idiots rob a family and the world of a hard working and honest man with a family. All for monetary gain. I hope that they get whats coming to them .

Joe and Fran

natura

Jun 8, 2006
www.naturacabana.com
my sincere sympathy to Gordon Gannon (Windsurf Resort) and his family. I worked with them for 7 years and have known the family for 20 years. What has happened to the beautiful island , with lovely people that we all came to? I left 3 months ago after living there for all that time. It just isn't safe anymore. So sad

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
That is so troubling to hear, I am really sorry for the family.

I would like to know how the three attackers were able to get through the window. Would anybody know if he had steel bars? I have heard of theifs using hacksaws to get through steel bars but I understand it isn't used much because of the racket during cutting.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Condolences!

You just put a car "jack" between the bars and push the bars apart. The welds usually break apart too. Not much noise with a "jack"!
Get dogs!!!!
Cris Colon

Alexandra Palace

Oct 15, 2007
Details for Canadian newspaper story?

Does anyone know where in Canada Hugh Gannon was from, or how long he's lived in the D.R.?

The Canadian national newspaper Globe and Mail has picked up this story and wants to try and contact any family members in Canada or the D.R.

Please email pope.alexandra@gmail.com if you know anything.

This is a sad story, and Canada wants to know ...

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
From Winnipeg.

When I met Hugh we talked for about 2 hours and he said he is from Winnipeg.

Please send us any links of stories from Canada on this.

Lucy

Jan 7, 2002
Dear Alexandra,
I am hoping you get accurate information for your story, please do not be quoting anyone who has "talked to him for about 2 hours" Hughs' son lives in cabarete, i suggest you only take info from him as you know it will be acurate and truthful. the rumor mill is running rampant already, so please, just the facts madam. Sincerely,Lucy

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Or better still, why send details to a Canadian paper or news service at all? I don't speak for the family, but I doubt they would be well served by having the gristly details and speculation published back in Canada, especially since Hugh had been living here in the DR for so many years.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Alexandra already has Gordon's contact info, Lucy, but of course he is busy helping the police investigation today along with all the other arrangements necessary in a matter like this. I would agree however, that it is better to wait to get an accurate picture and the family themselves should be the providers of this, if they choose to. Even if it takes a few days. They are long term residents, the son has been here at least as long as I have (15 years) if not longer. He started his hotel 15 years ago and is a well known Windsurf champion. I hope the rumour mill you refer to will not obscure the fact that the deceased was an active supporter of local charities such as building the Esperanza School, Sabaneta for the Dream Project. I mention just one example so that no-one is tempted to speculate here as to reasons for the murder, if indeed there are any 'reasons'. It remains a tragic and totally unnecessary death.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I Agree

I agree
Out here in Gaspar Hernandez we have already heard about 4 different versions of what happened so be very careful what you take to be true. I will not recant what i have heard. Everyone seems to "know What Happened" . Just for the record as well I Did NOT recant any of this to the reporter because it is only hearsay ......only the fact that he said he was from Winnipeg.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Although I didn't know him or his family...
I would like to offer my condolences. That is horrible news, and no one deserves that!!
Especially someone who it sounds was very generous and well involved in helping the community. So sad :(
What a useless tragedy!

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Condolences from here.
The story was just played on the six o'clock news.
He was from Winnipeg and had owned restaurants here as well.

Best wishes for his wife and son.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Alexandra, can I suggest you clarify for DR1 members who you write for? I know you told me in an email but others don't know and now the Dominican Today piece has been posted people will see you write for DT and when they see this
The Winnipeg Free Press Online Edition
and this
winnipegsun.com - WINSUN - Former Winnipeg bar owner killed in Dominican Republic
they'll be scratching their heads because neither of these are the Globe & Mail. One is a tabloid and the other is a broadsheet. Since there are similarities between your DT story and the Winnipeg Free Press story, even if you didn't write both, people might think you did. Don't be upset please, but you did first post on DR1 asking on behalf of the Globe & Mail and for your own credibility as a journalist and for future co-operation from this board I think you should clarify for DR1 members.

Again, one of the reasons that the advice given here was to speak to the family was so that the coverage could be authoritative and fully informed even if not immediate.

Lucy

Jan 7, 2002
On CTV News Winnipeg, 20 minutes ago, the reporter had Hughs' son Gordon on the phone for an interview. Gordon said that his Dad had been invoved in a traffic accident in the DR some time back, in which there was a death. He was taken to court, and cleared of any charges regarding the accident. Apparently one of the 3 that were arrested was a relative of the deceased.
Thankyou Gordon for taking the time during such a difficult time to do an interview, to let those that care about you, and that cared about your Dad know the truth and put to rest all speculation and rumor.
Lucy

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thank you for that Lucy. Another lesson as to ramifications when there is a motoring fatality. Even if the driver is totally innocent. And sadly not the first time this has happened in DR to either a Dominican or an expat. Again, condolences to the family.