Your 1 year Guarantee

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
I'm not a really good writer but I thought I should share this here.

We know that they don't tell you everything when you buy anything here, but make sure you know about the guarantee conditions.

I bought my nice Plasma 50" TV and watched it once before I had to go on a trip, when I came back I watched one more time and then the image left.

Going back to the shop with my one year guarantee ended in them telling me that they have to bring it to a repair shop which will give me an answer after one week what happened with it and if they need parts then propably 2 weeks more for the parts to arrive .... Brand new TV and not cheap ?!?!

I was told that they would exchange it within the first 3-4 days and after it had to be repaired.

After talking to Panasonic USA and some distributors I knew that they could just send it back and give me a new one but of course then for now it's out of their stock.

So I took my lunch package and went to the shop to sit next to the TV's until I would get a positive answer, I even got used to the security guards flying around me all the time. Now there I had enough time to make all the phone calls, finding out the owners of the business, had people called the children of the owners and ask for help, had Panasonic sent e-mails to the purchasing manager etc. etc. .....

Since electricity wise I'm very well proteced I knew it was not a hight voltage, it must have been a product problem of DOA ( Damage on Arrival ).

The second day in the afternoon, after promissing them with lawyers and further communications with their suppliers they finally handed me over a brand new TV with a new factura, which means I have to watch 3-4 days non stop TV now to make sure this one will last a bit longer then the other one.

Conclusion, look for a shop where they explain how long they will do an exchange and haven in written down .... it costed me 2 days and a LOT of stress ..... but I love my new TV.

Regards to all .

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Humidity has a lot to do with the life of tv's, so does proximity to ocean breezes (salt air). Many of my collegues and I love to have the housekeepers turn on the tv's while they clean rooms. When they are on, they get hot and dry out any humidity built up inside the parts. If your tv sits for a while, the humidity can cause corrosion...and destroy some of the parts.

As for warranties, in this country, most are worthless and can be voided by any number of ridiculous reasons. Buyer beware!

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
I don't think anything got rotten within 10 days, apart from this I'm living in an apartment not close to the sea and there is not to much humidity in here.

For other regions and time span you might be right, but this was not my case.

I found another shop now which will sell me a 42" plasma with 4 month guarantee and if just anything happen within this 4 month I will get e new one with no questions asked.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Sine Wave vs. Modified Sine Wave and Plasma TVs

I read somewhere (in several places) that inverters that use modified sine wave (which is most) will heat up and ruin plasma tvs prematurely.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I read somewhere (in several places) that inverters that use modified sine wave (which is most) will heat up and ruin plasma tvs prematurely.
I think I remember the same thing being posted in a recent thread, but don't remember which one.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i bought a 42" flat one to hang on the wall a few months ago, a Diggio, not the most expensive brand. they had alsopanasonics and sony which been more expensive of the same size.
the standard procedure of the shops here is a 6 months warranty on new products, at bavao muebles where i bought the TV they offered me for a 3500.- additional pesos a separate warranty paper for 2 years which includes needed spare parts and cost for the reparation, or exchange in a new one in case it will not be possible to repair the TV.
i took that offer, so the prize been RD$53.000.- instead of the RD$49.500.- for the standard 6 months warranty.
luckily i did not need it yet..
earlier this year a bought a simple 2.000.- pesos vent at the same shop which stopped his duty after 2 months, brought it there, next day they called me to pass by the shop, i did that an other day later, and they handled me over a new one in exchange of the damaged one, they said for them it would not be worth to repair what is damaged on the old one. i had not to pay nothing, just showed my receipt of the purchase with the separate warranty paper.
Mike

S

sokitoumi

had no trouble returning goods to Haches in santiago.......errrr they dont sell tvs though....just thought id mention they have good customer service

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Heared the same on Inverters and Plasma's, but sometimes they just want to make up stories too. An Engineer you sells me all inverter stuff told me the same and then said I should have an UPS on the plasma ...hmmmm ... ups uses DC batteries too so it will be the same then inverter power. I think it would only harm if you have it running on inverter for long time but since we have planta full my inverter only needs to kick in for 1 minute or so, in this case it does the same thing then a UPS.

Well, for the hell of it I bought a Monster protector which takes care of the waves as well protects for power surges with over 2000 Jules .. whatever this means ...hehe

But for sure during this few day power did not even left so the TV was never on inverter power.

Want to buy a second one, any good ideas where they sell quality and good guarantee?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Heared the same on Inverters and Plasma's, but sometimes they just want to make up stories too. An Engineer you sells me all inverter stuff told me the same and then said I should have an UPS on the plasma ...hmmmm ... ups uses DC batteries too so it will be the same then inverter power. I think it would only harm if you have it running on inverter for long time but since we have planta full my inverter only needs to kick in for 1 minute or so, in this case it does the same thing then a UPS.

Well, for the hell of it I bought a Monster protector which takes care of the waves as well protects for power surges with over 2000 Jules .. whatever this means ...hehe

But for sure during this few day power did not even left so the TV was never on inverter power.

Want to buy a second one, any good ideas where they sell quality and good guarantee?
I don't want to complicate your life, but your conclusions about inverters and UPS', unfortunately are incorrect, and it's not your fault, as plenty of companies sell devices called UPS', which are not.
A true UPS would be fine for your TV, and it's a fairly expensive device, to the tune of $400 US and up.
I wouldn't even mention it, except that if you keep blowing plasma TVs, then I would feel remiss in my duty to have advised you earlier.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
like we have here in PC luckily electricity 24/7, until the moments some ****heads hit a electricity pole on the road with their trucks/pick ups aso, i use just a simple UPS for the TV and the computer, just in case the electricity goes out one moment to an other i have the time to shut down running equipment softly. for the up's and down's on the public line we use for our house a 15KW Trafo, so the 110 and 240V come in constantly flat, at least i never had problems with the equipments since then.
the years before the use of the Trafo we blew several electric equipments, specially fridges, their compressors seem to be sensible to the high and low on the Net.
Mike

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Well as I said, we have planta full which kicks in within 30 seconds and since my office is in my apartments I have also a 2.5 KW inversor just to catch this 60 seconds and for all the equipment and now also the power surge protector just before the TV .... I think this should do it right ???

I'm sure it was a problem with the TV not the electricity since the power never left that evening, but I want ot have peace of mind becauee this suckers are not cheap.
MZ

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well as I said, we have planta full which kicks in within 30 seconds and since my office is in my apartments I have also a 2.5 KW inversor just to catch this 60 seconds and for all the equipment and now also the power surge protector just before the TV .... I think this should do it right ???

I'm sure it was a problem with the TV not the electricity since the power never left that evening, but I want ot have peace of mind becauee this suckers are not cheap.
MZ
You may be correct that the TV is at fault, but your conclusion about the inverter not causing it damage, may be incorrect.
Whether it's 60 seconds, more, or less, does not make the difference.
Apparently, it's the square wave.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
hmmm .... know a lot of people with Plasam TV's and none having this kind of inversor. most of them don't even have anything which I think would be worse when the power goes and comes back since on and off within a short time is not good neither right ?!?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
hmmm .... know a lot of people with Plasam TV's and none having this kind of inversor. most of them don't even have anything which I think would be worse when the power goes and comes back since on and off within a short time is not good neither right ?!?
Going to try one more time.
The story is that the square wave from inverters, can destroy plasma TVs.
I'm not an expert on the matter, and don't know that it's true, but that's what they were saying.
If it's true that the square wave damages plasma TV's, then having yours connected to your inverter, could be what's causing the problem.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Going to try one more time.
The story is that the square wave from inverters, can destroy plasma TVs.
I'm not an expert on the matter, and don't know that it's true, but that's what they were saying.
If it's true that the square wave damages plasma TV's, then having yours connected to your inverter, could be what's causing the problem.

More recent designs for UPS's use pulse-width modulation (PWM) to produce a pulsed waveform that can be filtered relatively easily to achieve a good approximation to a sine wave. Much better than the old square wave UPS's.

Good luck finding them in the DR.

Personally I use a Tripp Lite 1000va full time pure sine wave UPS, it runs on 24vdc and has provisions for external battery connection. Making it possible to hook directly to the Trace's 24 vdc batteries.

Don SantiagoDR

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Humidity has a lot to do with the life of tv's, so does proximity to ocean breezes (salt air). Many of my collegues and I love to have the housekeepers turn on the tv's while they clean rooms. When they are on, they get hot and dry out any humidity built up inside the parts. If your tv sits for a while, the humidity can cause corrosion...and destroy some of the parts.

As for warranties, in this country, most are worthless and can be voided by any number of ridiculous reasons. Buyer beware!

Got to agree with you on the warranties, I purchased a few split a/c's from Corripio in San Isidro, including installation. At the point of sale, the salesman offered a further 2 yrs warranty for the units which I purchased and invoiced accordingly. The manufacturers warranty as Installed was 1 year, and the additional warranty was for 2 years more, which I considered gave me 3 years cover...............or so would seem reasonable. All ok until I made a claim, which before hand, I popped into the original store, they retrieved the store copy invoice and said I was still in warranty. They gave me the contact number and when I called to arrange a visit from the technician, they said that as the warranty had expired last year (2 yrs), I needed to pay for the visit and any works/ parts required.

Unhappy I visited another Corripio store on the pretense of buying split a/c system and the sales person confirmed extended warranties covered the period from the completion of the manufacturers warranty period. So anyone buying and before handing over your cash, have them note the expiry dates of the cover on the invoice to avoid similar situation as I find myself now involved. I am sure the sales dept won't lose a sale for confirming the expiry date on the invoice.