Road from Santo Domingo to Samana

cherie36

Oct 16, 2007
I understand there is a highway from Santo Domingo to Samana expected to be completed in December. Are there parts of it open? How does one access it from Santo Domingo?

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
If you'll search the archives for Santo Domingo-Samana Highway you should find the thread with the latest information and pictures of the partially opened road. You access it from the highway that runs east from SD along the ocean out to the airport. The turnoff north is a little over half way. Watch for the Samana signs.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Getting Through?

I am thinking about venturing on that new road on my forthcoming trip to the 'capital'.
Has anyone done it and is it saving time or even possible that one gets stuck because of ongoing work?

Janin

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Although a few have gotten through on the new, unfinished road, it is my understanding that some of the construction crews are turning back vehicles and not allowing them to pass. Those that made it, including negotiating the areas that they needed 4WD to get through, made the trip in just two hours. However in view of the possibility of having to turn back, it's better to wait a few more months and traverse the highway when it is finished.

cherie36

Oct 16, 2007
Do Not Travel On This Road

Hi,
I traveled this road in December. Unless you want to get rid of somebody, never to see them again, do not recommend this trip. It took us 5 hours to get to Samana on a 4 wheel truck. We nearly lost our lives twice: once coming head-to-head with another vehicle who would not yield the right of way on a muddy, narrow road, and again when the truck began to backslide on a road crossing Rio Yuna.
Given the condition and state of construction, I estimate at least another two years before this road is complete.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I am told by someone who has traveled this way frequently -- they are building in Samana and go there frequently -- that if you are not knowledgeable about the nuances of this unfinished road, you should not attempt it.

The route via San Francisco de Macoris continues to be the main one and the most safe one.