Looking for SALSA/MERENGUE Instructor in Santiago

johhny1

Oct 14, 2007
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum, so please be gentle. I currently reside in the U.S. and fell in love with the DR five years ago on leave from the military. I am now planning to go back in Nov.

Last time I stayed in Santo Domingo and quite enjoyed myself. This trip I am planning to visit the interior. Of interest to me is the tobacco plantations, rum distillieries, the countryside and of course the night life and dining. But most of all, I am looking for one on one 2-3 hour everyday workout consisting of SALSA and MERENGUE instruction. I am trying for a crash course in dancing so that I may at least be able to hold my own. I have some basic experience, but require much work.

Also, if someone can provide me with a good alternative to the hotels such as an apartment rental or something similar for my stay in Santiago. I would appreciate it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Isidora Dance Studios offer such lessons.
2) How long will you be staying?
3) How about some dates?

HB

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
If you want to get a "leg up" before you leave New York, there are tons of salsa dance studios there. Just check the phone book under 'dance' or do a web search under 'New York'+dance+salas
You should get plenty of hits!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I don't see where you said you were in NY, but if so you are in Salsa Central N.A. - plenty of studios and places to practice...

another thing to try is You-Tube...you can watch and practice, plenty of instructional videos on there....

But a must-do if going to the interior and away from the big city, is to learn some Bachata...Bachata is a popular dance with Dominicans, I'm not sure how popular it is in Santo dom but EXTREMELY easy to learn the basic 4-beat step and a ton of fun to dance - chicas love doing the bachata with a gringo :bunny::bunny:

Again, find an instructional bachata video on youtube and and you can literally be dancing bachata in a few minutes (the basic steps) and you can add some more moves as you get better... Bachata is my favorite

When do you get into Santiago?

ctRob

johhny1

Oct 14, 2007
Thanks for all the responses, I was unable to reply earlier as I was travelling in California.

Hillbilly: I should be arriving in Santiago on Nov. 2 and departing on Nov. 7. I realize it is not a lot of time, but I plan to make the most of it.

dr_qt: I believe I will be only in transiting through JFK, so I won't get much of a chance at checking out the salsa club scene in New York.

ct_rob: Youtube...ah the marvels of the internet. Thanks for the suggestion, I would never have thought. I feel pretty bad I left out BACHATA as I really enjoy the music. On my previous trip I even had a friend pick out a Bachata music cd for me, which I still listen to. Okay, Bachata is now also a must learn for me.

I was last in Santo Domingo several years ago. I will be staying there again for the first two days of my visit in the DR. I have a few friends that I made there that I am going to try to get in contact with before I head to Santiago.

johhny1

Sep 19, 2005
I have seen a sign on Ave Duarte that advertised for SALSA lessons. I saw it many many trips, but sure enough , when i wanted to find it to get the number to go for lessons, I couldnt find the sign anymore...then a few months ago it showed up again on another road, my GF told me.

i dont think it was the name that Hillbilly gave...so there maybe a few choices.

good luck

you wont learn salsa in 4 weeks much less 4 days!!!!

merenge is another story...but it might take a lot of practice fine tuning that hip gyration!!!!!

No woman who knows salsa is gonna dance with you twice once they dance with your poor salsa skills!!!

you cant hide bad salsa , like you can bad merenge!!! ha ha ha

bob

johhny1

Oct 14, 2007
thanks for the encouragement bob:), if only I hadn't been born with two left feet....sigh. I'll just have to focus on merenge and bachata and maybe some drinks to loosen up the hips!

johhny1

Sep 19, 2005
early on just go out and get in the middle of the dance floor. dont dance around the outside where everyone can critique your style.

but remember if you watch everyone on the dance floor they all have their own way of dancing merenge.....some super slow some way fast some just look like they are having sex standing up....

so you cant do it too bad!!!!

bachata isnt too hard to dance either....just get the steps down and add lib every so often, keeping the same rythym....

speaking of bachata, the last time I went dancing I watched one woman mover her behind like it was triple jointed!!!

dammmm was it nice watching her dance.............ha ha ha

bob

BlackBeauty

Oct 27, 2007
:)

I used to live in Santiago...sniff sniff...
Los Jardines Metropolitanos to be exact.

Anyways it's a good idea to learn bachata, however in Santiago MERENGUE TIPICO is extremelyyyyyyyyyyy popular. It's a more traditional form of merengue. It's good to practice and get fit for it because a song (especially if played by a live band can last for 10 to 15 minutes.)

I was just in DR and from what I know there still is a curfew in the country so you might not be able to dance all night like the island usually allows.

However, there are alot of places to dance by el monumento:

check out montebar, puerta de sol, monteczuma, etc.

I have alot of people out there that could show you around, but if you don't speak Spanish fluently it would be a lost effort. They don't speak any English at all.

But have a great time. East some tostones y salcocho for me!!

johhny1

Oct 14, 2007
BlackBeauty: Thanks for the focus, I have some classes lined up for the first two days that I will be in Santo Domingo, even before I head to Santiago.
I am in reasonable shape so I "should" be able to handle a couple of 10-15 min dances.

Oh yes, tostones and salcocho will definetly be on the menu.