leaving UK for 6 month - flight question

karen.s

Sep 12, 2007
hi there, myself & my family are travelling out to the DR for 6 months in the new year, My only quiery is.. which would be the best way to book our flights?
would it be to book the 6 monthly return or single one way flights?
any suggestions would be appreicated thank you.
kaz

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
my understanding is that if you are not a resident of the DR you need to have a return ticket (round trip). We ususlly book round trip with a 6 month return and if need be change the return date. It is also cheaper for us to do the ticketing this way. This is from the US but i assume the rules about having a return ticket are the same no matter where you are traveling from. I am sure someone here will correct if i am wrong

Bob K

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a charter return ticket that's on special, than a one way with regular airlines, then you throw the return side away, and purchase one way tickets back, 6 months later.
The tour reps often have "standby" return tickets on the charter flights, for a reasonable price.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right Rocky.
i fly quiet often PC-Europe-PC and the one way tickets cost a fortune.
on my last visit i bought a roundtrip ticket for 950 euros, the same time a one way ticket been 685.
and the first post was correct, if you and your family are not dominican residents you have to enter customs anyways with a present return ticket for a backflight date within the allowed tourist visa time period allowed for visitors from your country.
for longer stays a visa other than the tourist visa is required, get info at the embassy in your country about that.
have fun
Mike

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
hi there, myself & my family are travelling out to the DR for 6 months in the new year, My only quiery is.. which would be the best way to book our flights?
would it be to book the 6 monthly return or single one way flights?
any suggestions would be appreicated thank you.
kaz

Karen,

They wont let you fly to the DR at any UK airport on a one way ticket without you presenting your residency here. You cannot book a 6 month ticket on a charter flight, this would have to be done schedule only with British Airways who fly into Santo Domingo. Book a 2 week return, SKY and Charterflights do real cheap deals especially towards the beginning and during the first week of Dec. When you are ready to leave pm me and I will give contact nos to buy your return ticket, this you can buy one way to UK. Be prepared to pay a hefty fine as you are only issued at the DR airport, on arrival, a tourist visa for 2 weeks, cost $10. You can use the search button on here for the costs of the fines, they vary depending on the time you have overstayed. Good luck and I hope you have a lovely time. Theres lots to see here in this country.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I think it would be a good idea to buy the round trip ticket with a 6 month return date and simply change the date once you're there and know exactly when you are going to fly out. I changed a deep-discounted ticket on AA (Y-code) and was charged $100US and I was informed that if I reserved the ticket on my frequent flyer miles, it wouldn't be anycharge if used within a year of the original booking. Availability applies as well. You should go online and place a reservation on "Hold", you have 24 hours to hold that ticket price and then contact the airlines and ask your questions, easy to do.