Sosua to Boca Chica

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Hi,

Have a few questions about the best way to get there:

1) How long does it take by car?
2) Is it safe for a woman driving alone?

Alternately,

1) How long by bus and where do I get it?
2) Same as #2 above
3) Approximate cost?

If I have to stay overnight, suggestions for an inexpensive, safe place?

Thanks so much
Ro

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
1) How long does it take by car? 4 hours average

2) Is it safe for a woman driving alone? Should be.

Alternately,

1) How long by bus and where do I get it? Caribe Tours bus depot in Santo Domingo

2) Same as #2 above 5 1/2 hours, plus the time from BC to Santo Domingo., 30 to 45 minutes.

3) Approximate cost? Taxi BC to Caribe Tours depot, 30 bux, plus 8 bux for the bus, plus 150 to 200 pesos from Caribe Tours bus stop in Sosua to your house.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for the quick and detailed response. Sounds like it will be easier for me to rent a car and drive.

Any suggestions as to where to (safely) stay over for one night if I have to?

Regards
Ro

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Thanks for the quick and detailed response. Sounds like it will be easier for me to rent a car and drive.

Regards
Ro

I few people here (DR1) will tell you not to drive.

I would listen to their advice. I travel frequently to DR and have yet to rent a car.

Have fun!!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Regards
Ro
Your plane come in late?
If so, I would stay in BC for the night.
It's 10 minutes in the wrong direction, but you could get a real early start the next day, like at 5 AM, and just fly through Santo Domingo, instead of battling the insane rush hour traffic.
You'd be up in Sosua by 9 AM.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Whose on first?

Your plane come in late?
If so, I would stay in BC for the night.
It's 10 minutes in the wrong direction, but you could get a real early start the next day, like at 5 AM, and just fly through Santo Domingo, instead of battling the insane rush hour traffic.
You'd be up in Sosua by 9 AM.

Rocky--isn't she asking for Sosua TO BC?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Hey,

You guys know me - and maybe I wasn't clear. Sosua to Boca Chica and back - hopefully in same day; if not that was the purpose of my questions.

Thanks
Ro

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Same day?
Leave really early in the a.m. and be prepared to be dog tired when you get back to Sosua.
Be careful driving late at night. Between the drivers ignoring the 'yellow line' and the bad spots in the road if you are not familiar with the road it can be a bit stressful.
You'll be driving for at least 9 hours that day.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yup.
Like jrf said, too much for one day.
Overnight wouldn't be so bad, specially if you avoid Santo Domingo at rush hour.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Same day?
Leave really early in the a.m. and be prepared to be dog tired when you get back to Sosua.
Be careful driving late at night. Between the drivers ignoring the 'yellow line' and the bad spots in the road if you are not familiar with the road it can be a bit stressful.
You'll be driving for at least 9 hours that day.

Please, please, please listen to the post. To do a round trip Sosu-Boca Chica in one day is a hassle.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks all. I am listening.

So where do you recommend staying overnight for one night - so I can drive both ways in the daytime and not do it in one day.

It needs to be quiet and safe for a woman traveling alone.

Thanks again.
Ro

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks all. I am listening.
It needs to be quiet and safe for a woman traveling alone.

Thanks again.
Ro

Okay, don't do the round trip in one day! Thanks! You can stay at Hostal Zapata, Hotel El Caucho, El Candil, Hotel Garant, Hotel Costalunga, all in the range of $50 USD per night.

If you need websites or more info holler out! Enjoy your trip and post some photos.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You are going to drive? Right? I would ask Rocky, Hillbilly, or AZB for directions. They all seem to know the lay of the land and can save you some headaches.

Send them a PM, they will respond with the info you need.

Again, enjoy your stay.

A

apostropheman

if it were me i'd definitely consider skipping the driving and using public transit/taxis.

i'd also plan on an overnight for sure.

metro bus leaves from Sosua in the farmacia parking lot by the texaco at the autopista and calle dr. rosen. then a 150 peso, mas o menos, taxi to the parada for boca chica and 50-60 pesos for the bus fare to boca chica. you ride the bus to the central park in BC and head to the hotel.
(you may have to switch buses at the local Andres area parada going to BC. i forget as i don't go that far generally. if you do, and you will on the return for sure, the fare is now 50 pesos from SD to the Andres parada and 10 pesos from there to BC.)

alternatively just take a $30USD taxi from the metro in SD to BC directly to your hotel. if you have more then 1 carry-on the taxi is the way to do it.

reverse the process for your return.

that'd be a lot less taxing/dangerous than driving, and probably a ton less $$$ than renting a car and paying the high cost of gas.

i've made the trip many, many times and would not drive, certainly not by myself or for such a long distance.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks to you all. I'll follow through with PMs to get more directions or more bus information.

Ro