Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Question about obtaining permanent residence in DR

    Hello,

    I'm interested in moving to DR with my whole family (total 6 people). I read somewhere that in order to obtain permanent residency one must
    complete a health exam which includes chest X-Ray to check for TB. I consider the whole modern medicine a dangerous quackery and I would want to avoid X-Raying at any cost. (I don't mind any other exams)
    I'd like to know if there is a way around this. I don't want to submit
    myself and my family to dangerous radiation from unnessesary X-Ray.
    (maybe something like paying extra for a free pass ?). I already know I don't have TB so it's not like I'm gonna be spreading disease.

    thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,829
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numlock View Post
    Hello,

    I'm interested in moving to DR with my whole family (total 6 people). I read somewhere that in order to obtain permanent residency one must
    complete a health exam which includes chest X-Ray to check for TB. I consider the whole modern medicine a dangerous quackery and I would want to avoid X-Raying at any cost. (I don't mind any other exams)
    I'd like to know if there is a way around this. I don't want to submit
    myself and my family to dangerous radiation from unnessesary X-Ray.
    (maybe something like paying extra for a free pass ?). I already know I don't have TB so it's not like I'm gonna be spreading disease.

    thanks in advance
    You want to move to the D.R., avoid X-ray but ready to submit yourself and your family to the D.R. pollution !!! You know you don't have TB well I don't know if you have it or not.

    Have a look at the thread PLASTIC BOTTLES
    Last edited by La Mariposa; 10-17-2007 at 10:37 PM. Reason: to add more

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I know I don't have TB because I had a X-Ray done in the US. Also, if they are so concerned about TB why don't they X-Ray every tourist that comes here ?

  4. #4
    Gold
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Numlock,

    First, welcome to DR1.

    I am far from being an authority on DR immigration policies, but I think you'll find that it's hard enough to make it in a new country when you follow the rules (which I heartily recommend). I'm sure you're fine, but the government is trying to make sure they can minimize any chances of infection through their tests.

    It's sorta like when the guy who flew from Europe to Atlanta had that unusually virulent strain of TB, but felt perfectly fine.

    You can check with Mr. Guzman, but I imagine you'd be strictly and critically scrutinized if you tried to come in without subjecting yourself to their tests.

    After all, when in Rome...

    Good luck.

    p.s. What part of the country are moving to?

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I understand that they are trying to prevent the disease. The problem is the way they do the testing can possiblly give me cancer. I find it hard to belive that the only way to test for TB is XRay.

    I'm looking into mountains (Bonao area)

  6. #6
    Gold
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    7,668
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you want to move to the DR you have to follow the rules that are set down.

    Let's not go off topic and start discussing the different tests.

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numlock View Post
    I know I don't have TB because I had a X-Ray done in the US. Also, if they are so concerned about TB why don't they X-Ray every tourist that comes here ?
    As with many other things such as the tourist entry-forums, Dominican rules are photocopies (or X-rays of whatever the USA uses.

    To get my residency for the US I not only had to take X-rays, I had to bring the humongous X-ray printout rolled up with me at the port of entry. Officer took it, didn't look, didn't care.

  8. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    If you want to move to the DR you have to follow the rules that are set down.
    Seeing how the fines for overstaying the tourist visa "1,3,...7 years to infinity" are printed at the airports, I'd say the residency paperwork can in reality be considered optional. The way I see it, one is following Dominican rules when exiting and paying R$ 8000 or whatever the fine is nowadays.

  9. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlantaFULL View Post
    Seeing how the fines for overstaying the tourist visa "1,3,...7 years to infinity" are printed at the airports, I'd say the residency paperwork can in reality be considered optional. The way I see it, one is following Dominican rules when exiting and paying R$ 8000 or whatever the fine is nowadays.
    If you are only coming here for a few months that would be ok. But for living here permanently it isn't. Without a cedula you can't get a driving licence etc etc & there are all sorts of ramifications to being an illegal in the DR. So, numlock, follow the advice and live by the rules. And by the way your luggage certainly gets Xrayed at your US point of departure and from here also if you were ever to leave.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Dear : numlock: Oh man that is so close to something else it is not funny!

    Look, you'd better go to Costa Rica or Mexico, okay? You will not be able to cut it here. Why should you, just you and your family, be so privileged so as not to follow the rules thousands of others have had to follow. Living in the country can be glorious. It can also be he!! for the careless or unwary.

    If you play along with the silly games, do what you should do, network and behave, you can have a lot of fun.

    Oh yeah, what mountains near Bonao? Seems absurd, unless you are thinking of becoming a recluse...

    HB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •