Question about obtaining permanent residence in DR

numlock

Dec 4, 2006
Hello,

I'm interested in moving to DR with my whole family (total 6 people). I read somewhere that in order to obtain permanent residency one must
complete a health exam which includes chest X-Ray to check for TB. I consider the whole modern medicine a dangerous quackery and I would want to avoid X-Raying at any cost. (I don't mind any other exams)
I'd like to know if there is a way around this. I don't want to submit
myself and my family to dangerous radiation from unnessesary X-Ray.
(maybe something like paying extra for a free pass ?). I already know I don't have TB so it's not like I'm gonna be spreading disease.

thanks in advance

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Hello,

I'm interested in moving to DR with my whole family (total 6 people). I read somewhere that in order to obtain permanent residency one must
complete a health exam which includes chest X-Ray to check for TB. I consider the whole modern medicine a dangerous quackery and I would want to avoid X-Raying at any cost. (I don't mind any other exams)
I'd like to know if there is a way around this. I don't want to submit
myself and my family to dangerous radiation from unnessesary X-Ray.
(maybe something like paying extra for a free pass ?). I already know I don't have TB so it's not like I'm gonna be spreading disease.

thanks in advance

You want to move to the D.R., avoid X-ray but ready to submit yourself and your family to the D.R. pollution !!! You know you don't have TB well I don't know if you have it or not.

Have a look at the thread PLASTIC BOTTLES

Last edited:

numlock

Dec 4, 2006
I know I don't have TB because I had a X-Ray done in the US. Also, if they are so concerned about TB why don't they X-Ray every tourist that comes here ?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Numlock,

First, welcome to DR1.

I am far from being an authority on DR immigration policies, but I think you'll find that it's hard enough to make it in a new country when you follow the rules (which I heartily recommend). I'm sure you're fine, but the government is trying to make sure they can minimize any chances of infection through their tests.

It's sorta like when the guy who flew from Europe to Atlanta had that unusually virulent strain of TB, but felt perfectly fine.

You can check with Mr. Guzman, but I imagine you'd be strictly and critically scrutinized if you tried to come in without subjecting yourself to their tests.

After all, when in Rome...

Good luck.

p.s. What part of the country are moving to?

numlock

Dec 4, 2006
I understand that they are trying to prevent the disease. The problem is the way they do the testing can possiblly give me cancer. I find it hard to belive that the only way to test for TB is XRay.

I'm looking into mountains (Bonao area)

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I know I don't have TB because I had a X-Ray done in the US. Also, if they are so concerned about TB why don't they X-Ray every tourist that comes here ?

As with many other things such as the tourist entry-forums, Dominican rules are photocopies (or X-rays :) of whatever the USA uses.

To get my residency for the US I not only had to take X-rays, I had to bring the humongous X-ray printout rolled up with me at the port of entry. Officer took it, didn't look, didn't care.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
If you want to move to the DR you have to follow the rules that are set down.

Seeing how the fines for overstaying the tourist visa "1,3,...7 years to infinity" are printed at the airports, I'd say the residency paperwork can in reality be considered optional. The way I see it, one is following Dominican rules when exiting and paying R$ 8000 or whatever the fine is nowadays.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Seeing how the fines for overstaying the tourist visa "1,3,...7 years to infinity" are printed at the airports, I'd say the residency paperwork can in reality be considered optional. The way I see it, one is following Dominican rules when exiting and paying R$ 8000 or whatever the fine is nowadays.

If you are only coming here for a few months that would be ok. But for living here permanently it isn't. Without a cedula you can't get a driving licence etc etc & there are all sorts of ramifications to being an illegal in the DR. So, numlock, follow the advice and live by the rules. And by the way your luggage certainly gets Xrayed at your US point of departure and from here also if you were ever to leave.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear : numlock: Oh man that is so close to something else it is not funny!

Look, you'd better go to Costa Rica or Mexico, okay? You will not be able to cut it here. Why should you, just you and your family, be so privileged so as not to follow the rules thousands of others have had to follow. Living in the country can be glorious. It can also be he!! for the careless or unwary.

If you play along with the silly games, do what you should do, network and behave, you can have a lot of fun.

Oh yeah, what mountains near Bonao? Seems absurd, unless you are thinking of becoming a recluse...

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dear "NumbNUTS"! THERE, I "said" It!!!!! It "FITS" You !!!

Do you go out in the "Sun"??? You get MANY times the "Radiation", or should I say (The "R" Word?) from the Sun in a few hours than from a chest "X-Ray"!!!!!!

Forget about the DR! You must have read "Mosquito Coast" recently?? You have delusions about the idilic life on a "Tropical Paradise"! You will find that the DR is NEITHER, Idilic, OR a Tropical Paradise!!

I KNOW that you have NEVER been to the DR. You better not come. You could NEVER survive here!

"Others" may go into sugar coated details about how difficult it is to adapt,or even survive, here, I won't. It is not worth my time or effort! Try "Mexico",it's a lot cheaper,and they probably have "Electricity" there!?? AND,you can all " walk home" when your "Social Experiment" goes up in smoke!!

"Surfing The Net" can not substitute for real "Life Experiences"! The "NET" ,just like your move to the DR, is a "FANTASY" that does NOT EXIST!!

Follow my advice. It will save you time,and money! And you will stop making a fool of yourself on the "internet"!!
Cris Colon, "Been There, Done THAT, Bought the "T" Shirt, and even sent the postcard home , so others won't have to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Sort of reminds me of the arab lady in florida who applied for a drivers lic. She did not want to remove her head dress and reveal her face for the photo on the lic. so they refused to issue her one. The wonderful ACLU took her case to court and thankfully she lost. No where is it written that she was entitled to a lic in the state of Florida. Same here, it is not written that you have a god given right to a residency card. If you don't want to play by the rules, then don't play the game....

For your infomration the "damage you get from a single chest x-ray is about the same as if you smoked ONE cigerette over your LIFETIME. Modern quackery or not thats the fact.

Bob K