Orange Cell Phones

amandalynn

Oct 5, 2007
i am looking at buying a phone in the US to take the DR that will work with an Orange SIM card. How do i know which phones will work.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You need a GSM phone. If the phone you buy is locked, best to get it unlocked before you leave, but you can get phone unlocked here. Cingular and T-Mobil use GSM phones. Others do to. Just read the info about phone to be sure it is GSM and not CDMA.

When you get here, take phone to an orange store to register it, get a number and a SIM card. They have plans, but if just here for a short time you will probably use the Orange card. You can buy the first from Orange when you register the phone, but after that you will find they are sold many places.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
$RD600 gets it unlocked here in about an hour. No big deal.

T-mobile will unlock for free in most T-mobile stores in the US, spend the $RD600 on Beer or phone cards!

If you buy a phone on eBAy, just buy an unlocked QUAD band so it works worldwide. The MOT V220 is a nice small camera phone that is QUAD band for about $35US.

tambo'

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Samsung: T-Mobile + Orange

I was in Wal-Mart ? years ago; the salesman said a simple Samsung cell phone would work with T-Mobile & Orange; as I remember T-Mobile, a German co., owns Orange. The salesman spoke the truth!
* The phone was US $90., w some 'free' minutes. It worked fine with both; Orange unlocked it later - 500 P; it takes 10 - 15 seconds to switch & manipulate the 2 chips.
* 3- 4 years now; it usually works perfectly. Not expensive; I buy few minutes monthly. But, . . I don't use the phone much.
* Palm cell phones normally can do the same; but, Palm phones, usually PDAs are prohibitively expensive [my opinion].

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Samsung: T-Mobile + Orange

I was in Wal-Mart ? years ago; the salesman said a simple Samsung cell phone [no contract, using T-Mobile] would work with T-Mobile & Orange; as I remember T-Mobile, a German co., owns Orange. The salesman spoke the truth!
* The phone was US $90., w some 'free' minutes. It worked fine with both; Orange unlocked it later - 500 P; it takes 10 - 15 seconds to switch & manipulate the 2 chips.
* 3- 4 years now; it usually works perfectly. Not expensive; I buy few minutes monthly. But, . . I don't use the phone much.
* Palm cell phones normally can do the same; but, Palm phones, usually PDAs are prohibitively expensive [my opinion].