Short Of Cash?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
It's all th same hopeless crap !
Things won't change because such practices are what Dominicans actually WANT and EXPECT !
It makes me feel like such a Gringo...

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i like the way things work in this country................in the US cops give you a ticket, you go to court, pay fine, cops write more tickets, this shows the need for more enforcement, overtime, and cops get more money in paycheck, here, you just give the money to the cop.........
...........here, instead of waiting for politicians to approve a road project, which will mean jobs and paychecks, one simply goes to the politician and gets the money upfront,,,,,,,,,,,,beautful idea whose time has come........

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
If you want to earn RD$1000 stick a PLD flyer in your car. Keep it there and you get RD$1000 each month.

Isn't this MONSTROUS? Sorry to shout but................. :ermm: Does this class as wise spending of taxpayer money?

OK Nals, give it your best shot with this one. :)

Noticias - EL PLD paga RD$1,000 por afiche pegado en veh?*culos

Isn't 'MONSTOUS' a little over the top? It doesn't mean that they require you to vote for them. I think most Dominicans will just take the money, put the sign on their car/van/piece of dudu, and then on voting day vote the way they want.

At least that's what I'd do.

In most U.S. States they have outlawed the sell of booze on election day. The reason this law came about was because the politicians would buy rounds of drinks and then load the drunkards up in a cart and take them to the polls.

I kind of wish the DR would do that instead of the placards.......

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Exactly what one sees in poor communities on the micro-level - clientilism maintains people in an undignified state of powerlessness and dependence, and is one of the greatest obstacles to development.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Guess is cheaper just to pay cash to the potential voters than to pay for expensive tv adds. Maybe this way they get more votes and if thats the case..........I guess that the purpose of a political campaign to get people to vote. If the campaign rules accept it ...........Lo que es igual no es ventaja!
AO

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Public pressure...wow I was under the impression that this was something non-existent in the Dominican Republic, but it seems to pop up once in a while. Then again it could just be a well organized criticism by the other political parties.

The wonderful plan to give money for people to place PLD flyers in their cars is suspended immediately.

SANTO DOMINGO, DN.-Debido a las cr?ticas que hab?a generado, el Comit? Nacional de Campa?a del Partido de la Liberaci?n orden? la "suspensi?n inmediata” de la entrega de afiches promoci?nales de su candidatura presidencial a veh?culos y el pago mil pesos a los conductores.

Comit? Campa?a de Fern?ndez suspende entrega de dinero y propaganda a choferes

bolding by me.

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Know exactly what you mean but it seems Miguel Ceara Hatton might be agreeing with us, Squat.
Noticias - El clientelismo conspira contra desarrollo en RD

The following quote taken from same article in my post #10 is exactly what the article about clientelismo is talking about. That mentality is what keeps the Dominican Republic from moving foward.

Otros, que no quisieron dar sus nombres, justificaron las d?divas en el entendido de que todos los gobiernos y partidos son iguales y hacen lo mismo.

Comit? Campa?a de Fern?ndez suspende entrega de dinero y propaganda a choferes

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The wonderful plan to give money for people to place PLD flyers in their cars is suspended immediately.

Splendid!

Next................? :laugh:

'Wasn't us, Mr. President, Sir...................it was the businessmen' (Seg?n Francisco Javier, "al parecer? la iniciativa de la entrega de dinero y propaganda a los choferes es sustentada por empresarios allegados al PLD, que realizan el tipo de actividad denunciada sin el consentimiento de la direcci?n de la campa?a.) (boldening mine). Wait 3 days & the brain who dreamt up the 'wonderful plan' will probably be fired.........

Question: They brought this in on Wednesday and by Friday it was suspended. A bit like the marbete price increases. Does this count as a Dominican referendum? :)