bananas wanted!

Caz

May 15, 2004
I am trying to collect as many banana types as possible (not plantains). At present I have red bananas, ice cream, apple, rulo, lady finger and cavendish, as well as some as yet unidentified plants. If anyone has any other dessert bananas that they would be prepared to share (in exchange for some of mine when they get bigger), I would love to hear from you. Bananas of the world unite!!!!

A

apostropheman

yes, we have no bananas!
<object height="350" width="425">(ya HAVE to LUV the muppets! :cheeky:)
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B78rrwSQB24" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>
I am trying to collect as many banana types as possible (not plantains). At present I have red bananas, ice cream, apple, rulo, lady finger and cavendish, as well as some as yet unidentified plants. If anyone has any other dessert bananas that they would be prepared to share (in exchange for some of mine when they get bigger), I would love to hear from you. Bananas of the world unite!!!!

S

sokitoumi

i have a weird one that curves the opposite way....(.banana)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'd be interested in seeing pix of the bananas (not the plants) to associate the look with the name.
It would make it easier as well, for us to know if there's a variety that we know of, that you don't have.
BTW: Rulo is plantain, not banana.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Well my plants are not up to fruiting size yet, but when they are - pics will be posted for sure. The problem is that I don't know what is available here, but what I would like are some of the orange fleshed bananas, or purple skinned, or hundreds of small fruits on a bunch etc. I was told that the small, very wide eating bananas were rulos - but I am open to correction. Thanks for the help.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well my plants are not up to fruiting size yet, but when they are - pics will be posted for sure. The problem is that I don't know what is available here, but what I would like are some of the orange fleshed bananas, or purple skinned, or hundreds of small fruits on a bunch etc. I was told that the small, very wide eating bananas were rulos - but I am open to correction. Thanks for the help.
Maybe I should have worded that differently.
Rulo are sold along with plantain, as they are cooked and used in the same manner as plantain, as opposed to a sweet tender fruit like the banana.
They might be a class of fruit, all by themselves.
Here are a couple of remarks I found on the net, about them.
Rulos: Son m?s claros (color) por dentro que los pl?tanos verdes. En su exterior son de longitud corta y redondos.
Yo le dije que los rulos son los Midgets de la familia platanal,

Caz

May 15, 2004
Thanks Marco - I must have been misinformed about rulos but we have eaten them as fruit when they were very ripe - freckled and soft - but perhaps plantain types are like that too. Perhaps they were not rulos at all!! Something to be followed up.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Marco - I must have been misinformed about rulos but we have eaten them as fruit when they were very ripe - freckled and soft - but perhaps plantain types are like that too. Perhaps they were not rulos at all!! Something to be followed up.
That could very well be.
I've had cooked sweet ripened plantain, so why not rulos.
It's been a long time since I've seen one, but I remember them to be shorter than plantain, and almost double the width.
BTW: What part of the country are you in?
I may have some ideas as to where you could get those tiny little bananas, that I call Johnny bananas, but the Dominicans have another name for them.
They are really thin skinned when they are ripe, and way better than a normal banana.
They grow them, not too far from here.

Caz

May 15, 2004
General Sosua area, and I would truly love just 1 little plant of the very tiny nanas if you know where some are grown. I have seen them occasionally at the roadside fruit stalls but not managed to get a plant. Thanks for your help, and in a years time when the fruit is ripe, we can have a tasting in Rocky's!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
General Sosua area, and I would truly love just 1 little plant of the very tiny nanas if you know where some are grown. I have seen them occasionally at the roadside fruit stalls but not managed to get a plant. Thanks for your help, and in a years time when the fruit is ripe, we can have a tasting in Rocky's!
As you are from around here, you probably noticed that they sell them on the side of the road, along the Caretera Turistica to Santiago.
That would be my starting point, to find a vendor who actually grows them, then get the plant from him.