Monument

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
The monument was very clean and nice (compared to the past).

Inside the monument are guards and a tour guide in a Red-colored outfit. She asked me if I wanted to tour the area but I had to catch the Metro back to Santo Domingo. I wish I had more time.

The last time I visited here was two years ago and the monument was not that clean. A Colombian girl name Angelita showed me this area. If anyone sees her, say hello to her for me. :bunny:

Anyway, here are a few pics. I'll post more shortly.
pxbb9.jpg

1z2ofps.jpg

2yknlp2.jpg

rausrc.jpg

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Wow!! Great pics! Thanks!

It's REALLY been cleaned up since last time I was there!

Has the area improved any since last year? (I mean as far as the types of ppl that visit this area in the evening?)

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Wow!! Great pics! Thanks!

It's REALLY been cleaned up since last time I was there!

Has the area improved any since last year? (I mean as far as the types of ppl that visit this area in the evening?)

You're very welcome, I'm glad you like it! :classic:

The last time I went here was two years ago.

I went here at around 3pm so not many people were around. A saw a few tourists taking pictures of the place.

The monument was very clean (both inside and out)! I was very impressed!

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Ok..I was wondering about the people that frequent this area in the evening currently...

I was waiting there for some friends to arrive into the Santiago airport...
Just chillin drinking some beers...when we noticed some crazy guy doing drugs...very openly and clearly on the hill surrounded by kids playing on the hill....

Was just something I didn't expect to see(as the previous times I was there it was a lot "calmer"...and didn't see on other previous visits anything like this...but that last time I was there, the ppl drinking and hanging out up there didn't seem as "nice" as last time....:ermm:

Has anyone else noticed this lately?

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Ok..I was wondering about the people that frequent this area in the evening currently...

I was waiting there for some friends to arrive into the Santiago airport...
Just chillin drinking some beers...when we noticed some crazy guy doing drugs...very openly and clearly on the hill surrounded by kids playing on the hill....

Was just something I didn't expect to see(as the previous times I was there it was a lot "calmer"...and didn't see on other previous visits anything like this...but that last time I was there, the ppl drinking and hanging out up there didn't seem as "nice" as last time....:ermm:

Has anyone else noticed this lately?

Wow, sorry you had to see that.

I have never seen such an incident at the monument before (even at night).

I hope these pics make you forget about that awful incident. ;)

There was a delay at the Metro bus station. So I crossed the street and had an ice cream at Baskin Robbins........more food,......more calories. lol

vfxhmu.jpg

2nqxs03.jpg

25a55c1.jpg

280i0ew.jpg

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Wow, Such great photos!!! I haven't been to the monument since last year at carnival. I was able to convince the person at the stairs that "it would be ok to let me in". I had all my camera equipment so he thought I was with the press who was filming the carnival from the top. In the pedestal, it was pretty disheveled but I was overwhelmed. The frescos in the museum area which makes the pedestal were absolutely incredible. Since I was unattended. I walked up the spiral all the way to the observation deck just underneath the statue on top you see from the outside. The view of the Cibao Valley and Satiago was breathtaking.

I know there are a lot of mixed feelings associated with the monument. Not unlike the Faro de Colon. But it is a jewel. It?s absolutely beautiful. Not knowing what the ultimate restoration plans are, it could easily be a restaurant, an art gallery, or as it's original intention was, a museum. Whatever the plan, it is something to behold and should be made a source of pride and revenue for the people of Santiago.