Ambulance Services in the DR

oneday64

Oct 19, 2007
en.wikipedia.org
Hi everyone - very new to this but looking to find contacts with people in the DR in regards to Ambulance Services operating there - I am a paramedic from Australia and will be travelling to the DR next year - I would like to make contact with anyone that can put me in touch with ambulance operators before I come that way especially in the Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarete areas as I will be staying with a friend in Sosua - I also have a friend in Santo Domingo any help would be appreciated - I was in the DR in 2006 and loved it there - looking forward to my return trip - regards - Ian

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
As far as contacts for you, I'm sorry, I have none...but I hope you will arrive there and help their services out some...!!!!

I rarely remember seeing ambulances in the DR...

One of the only times I saw one, was after waiting for one on the side of the road for over 45 minutes..(in the Puerto Plata area)

I hope some other member's have some contacts for you, but I am also interested in hearing from other members, if they know, what the response times are in their areas....

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
There's one that runs out of Serv-Med in Caberete. I don't know who to ask for , but Rocky might.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm not really knowledgeable on the subject, but I could give you my impressions.
There are very few ambulances around here and I believe that it has a lot to do with local public transport being so very cheap, while ambulances are quite expensive.
As the DR has not caught onto the American way of being "sue crazy", anyone around at the moment of an accident will transport the victims to a hospital.
It's faster and cheaper.
People and/or cops at the scene of an accident, will flag down the first public car they see, to transport an injured victim.
I've even had the cops commandeer my vehicle, to transport car accident victims.
If someone falls seriously ill at home, the neighbours who have a car, will transport them to a clinic or hospital.
Heck, I've seen them transport sick/injured people on motorbikes, one guy driving, another holding the serum bag, and the patient in the middle.
You could die while waiting on an ambulance, as some people have.

I expect that the few ambulances that are around, are mostly used for inter-hospital transport and to service the all inclusive resorts.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
The name of the ambulance company is ProMed and they have an ambulance that is stationed in Cabarete.

Here is their contact information:

finthiasanchezcomercial@yahoo.com

Promed Dominicana,S.A.
ofic.809-948-8400
cel. 809-342-5006

They do not speak English so when contacting please speak Spanish.

oneday64

Oct 19, 2007
en.wikipedia.org
In that case if there is not much in the way of ambulance services in Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarete areas, what about hospitals or clinics that I might be able to visit while there - I have some equipment that I would like to donate

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In that case if there is not much in the way of ambulance services in Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarete areas, what about hospitals or clinics that I might be able to visit while there - I have some equipment that I would like to donate
There's a whole bunch of them.
Just pick and choose.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Ambulance For Gasper Hernandez

Sheesh we could Sure use one out here in Gaspar Hernandez. Town/Area of about 25,000 We have a big hospital without an Ambulance. True Blue Dominican here. Without Much of anything to be honest. Big Building though. And we are about 40 KM's from the Closest Medical Center.

I was Just having a Vision of them outfitting it with Megaspeakers though ! Just joking... Lots of Serious people herre in this Non Tourist town