Looking for some good dogs

headnerd

Dec 28, 2006
I live in Gaspar Hernandez and am looking for some good dogs. In particular, I would like to find some Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies. I have seen a lot of Rhodesian Ridgebacks on the North Coast - but don't know who the owners are. Does anyone know where I might find some puppies.

Thanks!

mark@playalascanas.com

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I live in Gaspar Hernandez and am looking for some good dogs. In particular, I would like to find some Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies. I have seen a lot of Rhodesian Ridgebacks on the North Coast - but don't know who the owners are. Does anyone know where I might find some puppies.

Thanks!

mark@playalascanas.com
The 1st place I would try, is Judy at the Pet Lodge.
809-571-1167.
Not saying she has any, but she might know who does.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
be careful, rhodesian ridgebacks are not for everyone. i had one, large female about 100 lbs., great guard dog if she wasn't sleeping, i had to get a small auxillary dog that barked alot to alert her of potential trouble coming. this dog could climb, and often did, a six foot wall which made keeping her in the yard very trying. once outside the property she came home when SHE wanted. this dog did not come when called unless in the house. they are big and they know they are the boss. i would have to trick her into getting in the car to regain control. ridgebacks scent themselves, this means that after a good bath they lick themselves head to toe, getting good and saliva-ed up. this will give them their own unique (to other dogs in the pack) smell. in the tropical heat it STINKS, and then so does your sofa. when you are not in the house they sleep where THEY want, like your bed which now stinks..you can give the dog a perfume bath and they will cover it up with saliva stink. off the leash this dog bit anything on 2 wheels, kid on a bike to a bad dude on a harley. any stranger, young or old, male or female,that came on the property and into the yard unannounced got bit, the plumber's wife got a nasty one on her fat butt and i had to buy her a new pair of stretch pants. my ridgeback bit first and then barked. i think before she died from heartworm, they have short hair that makes them easy prey for mosquitoes, (that's where heartworm comes from), and she had her shots, her bite total was 28. only 3 deserved it. they shed hair, albeit short hair. they poop mountains. any leash has to be made of chain, rope and other woven leash types get bitten off fast. i am skeptical of the bloodlines in these dogs as well. i have seen quite a few that have the hairline ridge, are of the right color but something just isn't right, skinny heads, pointy snouts, only 50-60 pounds. make sure you see the parents of the puppies, they should be big with box heads. i am sure someone out there will tell me i didn't train the dog correctly, i didn't, i got her out of the pound when she was 2 years old, a lot of these dogs wind up in the pound because they are not like other dogs and owners can't deal with it. i am sure someone has one that is an angel, but, this is a difficult breed, go to a ridgeback breeders website and see for yourself. you have been warned. all that said, i loved that dog but she was a royal pain in the arse......................

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Even though Bruno (our 3 year old male Ridgeback) is not like your bitch, you have made some very good points, Ampa.
Most 100 lb plus dogs, need a little yappy dog for alerts.
Big dogs are more confident and sleep like a log, thus the need for a little yapper, if you want 24 hour protection.
They are a bit on the stinky side, although not as bad as some other breeds.
All the rest has to do with you getting yours as an adult, and not investing too much time in training.
She might have even been a lost cause.
Some dogs are.
Bruno's over 3, and has never bit anyone.
He does not chase anything, except cats and dogs that run away from him.
He was super easy to train.
He's very cooperative and non obtrusive.
They need a big area to live in, as they are big dogs.
It goes without saying, big dog, big poop, so you might have to watch where you step, if they are always kept in the yard.
They are extremely loyal and willing and able to defend you to the death.
They are one of the most powerful dogs on Earth.
They say that the only dog that can beat up a Ridgeback, is another Ridgeback.
Even Pitbulls are no match for them.
As with all breeds, if you're buying a puppy, you should have studied the breed and checked out the parents, to be sure that he/she is pure.
The reds are more valuable and sought after than the blonds.
As ampa pointed out, they are not big barkers.
That might or might not be an advantage.
Listening to a dog constantly barking can drive me bonkers, conversely, dogs barking can often drive crooks away.
Lastly, all pure bred dogs seem more susceptible to disease.
Mutts seem tougher and more resistant.
Purebreds will require more maintenance and care.

One of the big advantages of owning a big Ridgeback in the DR, is that the bad guys do fear big dogs, yet, as they are not noisy and not known to run around biting people for no reason (unlike Ampa's bitch), they are less prone to being poisoned.
I've had several dogs poisoned, and one even shot, and it's not a pleasant experience.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We had 2 half ridge-back/ half chesapeake brutes (Rascal and Wimpy), plus their mother Sam, a chesapeake, who was very, very intelligent while growing up on the west coast of Canada. Those two stinky brutes put the fear of god into strangers and drove off bears from our orchards. They were very friendly with our family, family cats, chickens...etc. As a guard dog I certainly would recommend them. I think both amparocorp and rocky make valid points. These are intelligent strong willed dogs that require firm and proper training.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wish I could find a Tosa Inu dam. They are wonderful, very large, (140+) dogs that can be gentle and yet are fierce as can be. If you look up the breed on google you will find few breeders.
I looked into the possibility of finding a mate for Yoshi's papa (also Yoshi) but you are looking at, like, a $5000 investment before there are any returns!! Yes. $3000 for dibs on one of the females in the next litter (Jan-Feb). Delivery in May-June '08, and a year and a half maintenance before first litter.....

But, oh they are so beautiful....
And, yes, you need a yapper to wake them up, but once they are up and about...ohmygod! watch out...

HB