Motoconcho's in SD?

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I was wondering how safe it is to rely mainly on motoconcho's in Santo Domingo for daily transportation??

I was told by a new resident in SD that she finds them dangerous and unsafe to take anywhere in SD...

I previously used to take motoconchos on a regular basis in Puerto Plata, and felt very safe with them.

I know things are very different in POP than SD...

So I would like to hear from some more seasoned residents how safe they feel it would be to take motoconchos in SD?

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I was wondering how safe it is to rely mainly on motoconcho's in Santo Domingo for daily transportation??

I was told by a new resident in SD that she finds them dangerous and unsafe to take anywhere in SD...

I previously used to take motoconchos on a regular basis in Puerto Plata, and felt very safe with them.

I know things are very different in POP than SD...

So I would like to hear from some more seasoned residents how safe they feel it would be to take motoconchos in SD?

I live in SD and have for a few years and would never,I said never get
on a motoconchom here....take a guagua or caroconcho,at least a little safer.I lived in Las Terrenas for a year or so and took motoconchos all the time also,but here there is so much auto traffic,and lousy drivers in SD that you will eventually loose an arm or leg on a motoconcho,or die...just go to the trauma hospital across the river and see the hundreds of patients with accident related injuries every day,especially from motorcycles and pasolas...
bob

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Ok great! Thanks for the reply Bob!
I wasn't sure if it was just an issue with someone who was not as familiar with the DR feeling uncomfortable with them or if they are really actually unsafe...
I guess I will be relying on Taxis and stuff...Thanks again! :)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
It's REALLY UNSAFE...besides, you would be considered by some...(mostly here on the board) a "CHOPO/A" if you relied on motoconchos for your mode of transportation... ;)

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
LoL...not so concerned what others think of me...I live my life for me and no one else..(I don't have kids to be concerned about either ;) )

I am more concerned of the safety issue than what ppl think of me..

Hey if they have cars and want to drive me around for free whenever I need it...I would accept that over a motoconcho any day..hehehe

I have been working on speaking more proper Spanish than the way I originally learned...not because I am worried what ppl think, but because I don't speak "gangster" English...therefore I don't want to be speaking my tigra Spanish either..lol

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The motoconcho "network" in Santo Domingo is not like it is in many other places.
You will have a hard time finding one unless it's outside a major shopping center etc.

I would advise against going near one, that is unless you want to test your medical insurance.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Nope! Don't want to test that...lol

In Puerta Plata, they were everywhere, very easy to find one at any time and place...(even more so when you didn't want one...there were even more around..lol)

So it looks like in SD, they are not only dangerous, but harder to find...

So without a vehicle (I would have a heart attack trying to drive a car in SD...so that's out of the question)...Taxis would be the best option for transportation in SD?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Yes, taxis are a safe bet...You might even find someone that will be your 'chofer' for your stay in SD...

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I'll be moving there for at least 1 year at this point...

I had thought about buying a car...but like I said...I would have a heart attack trying to drive in SD...on the North coast I can handle it...but in SD....nooo way! lol

But hopefully I'll be able to find a reliable Taxi company to use regularly...I'm sure there are some with decent rates that you can call to come pick you up from any given location, without too much difficulty?

I hate to depend on friends for rides all the time, so I'm not counting that in my options...