Mondongo mishap....

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I few years ago when my husband first moved to Canada, I invested in Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook. An excellent investment indeed - it has saved my butt many times...it has brought the DR closer to my husband (we now live in Toronto) and has been the talk of the party when we have hosted other Dominicans at our house for dinner . Soooooo, I have always stuck to and have been very successful with things I was pretty familiar with like carne de res guisado, lambi, habichuelas, sancocho, moro, aroz blanco, locrio, mangu, etc.....

Well..... today I was shopping and saw beef tripe. Thinking of my husband and knowing I had a recipe from Aunt Clara (although she warns not many outside of the DR favour this dish), I loaded up to make plenty for dinner tonight. My husband was pleasantly surprised and excited that I was trying something new for dinner! I started off with the traditional "salsa" and then began cutting up the tripe (mondongo). The first whiff of the stuff and I thought "oh boy.... this is what love is all about because my hubby might think this is a delicacy but there is no way in "#(!()" that I am eating this stuff tonight". The smell was unbearable but I tried to ignore it thinking of the end result.

Anyway, I made the "salsa" and it turned out perfect (taste tested by my Dominican hubby) but the then I added the mondongo. Let me tell you all I can say is.... I don't know if the mondongo in the DR smells better than in Canada but the smell was turning my stomach.

The end result.... my husband said the salsa smelled right but the mondongo was bad or something LOL!@

I tried, what can I say? Lesson learned.... some things are better left to the experts and eaten in the DR!!!!!

Does anyone other than Dominicans actually like mondongo?????

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
when we do mondongo we always precook the mondongo in a pressure cooker and then get rid of the water. It does stink though but is delicous

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Exactly, Loptka...we do the same thing...My Dad taught us how to cook it perfectly...

Last month, my sister, the wonderful sister in law that she is...made a BIG batch of 'patimongo' for Tony...he LOVED it...ate it for 3 days that week!!!

We call the dish 'buseca' but the ingredients are almost the same...pig's feet, mondongo, chick peas, potatoes (instead of yuca) well..you get the meaning...

MMMMMMM, GOOD!!!! ;)

S

sokitoumi

they used to eat a lot of tripe in Northern England....my mother was a great fan of strange bits of meat and jelly like substances.....this is when Europeans used to be able to cook.......everything comes in a microwaveable container now

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
At the risk of sounding...ummm..not so smart ...what exactly is mondongo????:eek:
I've heard of it, but not sure what it is?

A

apostropheman

mondongo.jpg

Mondongo (Stewed tripe) - Dominican Cooking

S

sokitoumi

bits of old offal that you would throw away if you had a lot of money

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
ooh...ummm..wow...well I like to try different things, and I may have tried mondongo...until I found out what it was..lol
who knows..maybe I would have been better off not asking...I might have liked it if I didn't know what it was..lol

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Yeah, most people eat it and THEN ask what it was...Not very appealing to the eyes, but sure is good and comforting food on a very cold day up in the north, with snow on the ground...I never understood why Dominicans like to eat that when it's always 90 degrees in that beautiful island...but...it's GOOOOOD!!!!!

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
ooh...ummm..wow...well I like to try different things, and I may have tried mondongo...until I found out what it was..lol
who knows..maybe I would have been better off not asking...I might have liked it if I didn't know what it was..lol

trust me,you would not have liked it,unless of course you have a taste for haggis or some other foul substance.Theres a reason you dont se this stuff on most menus..its not meant for human consumption..