Baninter verdict in real time

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The verdict was due in at 9am, and all the accused have arrived, but the judges still haven't taken their seats.

Apparently the whole area around the Palacio de Justicia in Ciudad Nueva is cordoned off.

The journalists are having to fill in the live coverage with the usual babbling commentary...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I wonder if this is going to generate any international press coverage? I know the 2003 news did, especially in the international financial press.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They interviewed the main accused, former bank president Ram?n B?ez Figueroa who said that he was sure it would all be OK...

Seems like the judges are on Dominican time - but apparently they have reached a verdict (and decided on sentences?) - so no chance of it being postponed.

Let's see...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
OK, it's about to be announced. Journalists have been moved to the back of the courtroom. Those present were asked to turn their cellphones off - yeah right - and the judges are coming in.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They appear to be reading out every transaction ever performed at Baninter. Get on with it!!!! The girl reading out the summary looks good, she must have just come from the salon :)

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
You guys are great ! :)
I don't even bother reading another report than this one :)

-What's your pronostic ?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm relying on those of you who can get the connection - I can't at present. Noticed in last night's paper it said decision would be read without recesses (or I assume commercial breaks?).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
OK, after listing all the alleged illegal transactions, they're saying that the monetary authorities were lax in monitoring banking activities. I think they also said that they found no proof of a 'parallel bank', but I must admit I lost concentration - this has been going on for almost two and a half hours now.

He's now also saying that all DR banks were found to have been engaging in 'bad practices'.
However, the Baninter collapse, according to them, came as a result of these practices. The accusations against Baez F and Baez Cocco have been proved, he said.

I've just lost the connection again, restarting the computer seems to do the trick.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
He's now saying that despite what RBF says, he should have known that what was going on was illegal.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As far as I can tell, it's looking like guilty for Ram?n B?ez Figueroa, Luis Alvarez Renta and Marcos Baez Cocco, and an acquittal for Vivian Lubrano de Castillo.

Jes?s Mar?a Troncoso Ferr?a - charges against him found to be inadmissible due to insufficient evidence, but ordered to pay costs.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ram?n B?ez Figueroa and Marcos B?ez Cocco were not found guilty of money-laundering or abuse of confidence.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
But I bet that even if they are found guilty, they will not be in jail for a long time and the money will disappear...

A este pais de mierda hay que dejarselo a los ricos y a los Haitianos, que hagan lo que les de su maldita gana.