So, back to the crime issue...

W

Wanda

Why do most people have watchmen at night and alarm systems there in the DR? If crime is about the same as the US or anywhere else, why not only have an alarm system? The police aren't going to respond, correct??

M

Michelle Renauld

Good point Wanda! I hope someone can answer, HONESTLY. i am very curious because I will be going to the DR in 3 weeks.
thanks to whoever responds.

K

Keith

"Most people"??? No, only those that can afford them have watchmen guarding a private residence, and that by no measure is "most" people in the DR. Those that can afford an alarm system AND a watchman number even fewer...
No, I'm sorry to say, the police usually will NOT respond. In the US, you're advised to dial 911 when you suspect a crime is in progress, and police are dispatched fairly quickly. In the DR, a similar short number was created a few years back, but many people don't know it and even those that do probably wouldn't call -- they'd consider it a waste of time. The police are slow to arrive, if at all.
Heck, the police often don't even come to your house when you report a crime having already occured. We were robbed in 1996 of some money, jewels and a US passport from our home in SD. The police came to our house when we reported it ONLY because the chief detective at our local precinct station is the nephew of a friend (and only after she called him several times to insist that he investigate!). Even then the visit was a joke. He came, but was not interested in seeing the crime scene, evidence we had collected for him (we had clear footprints and fingerprints), or for that matter, hearing a reconstruction of events. He was in the house not 2 minutes before declaring that it clearly was the maid (they always seem to blame the maids, regardless of what the evidence suggests) we had fired the week before. He said that he would only go after her if we drove him around Boca Chica to look for her (she was from there)...
Regards,
Keith