Beach huts/shops of Sosua Bay beach

Steve Jones

Sep 5, 2007
Hi,

Does anyone know anything ref the situation of the beach huts/shops that skirt the shore of Sosua Bay beach?

I have heard that an attempt was made to clear them all out but it was found that they had longstanding legal rights of tenure under DR law.

I understand that there is some sort of deal now being offered to the 'owners'.

The deal is that 40% of costs will be met by the state for upgrading / renovating existing structures but in addition to that the 'owners' will receive 'freehold' ownership of the actual land on which the structure is sited.

Has this story in fact any truth in it??

Because as far as I know it would be the first time anywhere in DR that beach land had been granted to individuals.

I also understand that there is a Beach Association that runs Sosua beach - and it is they who are negotiating the details of the above.

Correct - Nonesense?? ;=))

Hope to hear - over to DR shortly.

Rgds.

Steve Jones

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi,

Does anyone know anything ref the situation of the beach huts/shops that skirt the shore of Sosua Bay beach?

I have heard that an attempt was made to clear them all out but it was found that they had longstanding legal rights of tenure under DR law.

I understand that there is some sort of deal now being offered to the 'owners'.

The deal is that 40% of costs will be met by the state for upgrading / renovating existing structures but in addition to that the 'owners' will receive 'freehold' ownership of the actual land on which the structure is sited.

Has this story in fact any truth in it??

Because as far as I know it would be the first time anywhere in DR that beach land had been granted to individuals.

I also understand that there is a Beach Association that runs Sosua beach - and it is they who are negotiating the details of the above.

Correct - Nonesense?? ;=))

Hope to hear - over to DR shortly.

Rgds.

Steve Jones
It may or may not be true.
There have been many attempts at removing them in the past, that have all been met with the threat of violent resistance.
There are just as many supporters, as there are folks who want them removed.
As for them having any squatter's rights, it's hard to say for sure.
In theory, nobody can own beaches in the DR, so one could not acquire squatter's rights, but there's also a 60 meter (or thereabouts) law, concerning how close one can build from the shoreline, and some of those huts/casetas may be outside of those boundaries.
The bottom line is that if an attempt is made to remove them, there will be a mini war.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The owners of these shops don't have any property rights on the beach itself, just a permit from the Ayuntamiento to do business there, through the Beach Association. These permits may be taken away at any time. The Beach Association in Sos?a is powerful, though.